[PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS] FIRST IMAGE EVER - ADVICE PLEASE

Pages: 1
kitten2021
Returning from RMVX Death
OK, this is the very first image I am doing in Photoshop that's not related to RPG Maker and stuff. Let me know what you guys think and what I should try to change and stuff.

Mind you, I am terrible with shadows and highlights... So, yeah. Advice is <3!

Anyways, TADA!

Edit:
Oh, I forgot to mention, this is still a work in progress... Thus, no shadows on her face, nose, the bow or her shoes. ~ And ignore inside her mouth, I was too tired to fill in the coloring for that area... -.-"
hi i think i have seen this character before somewhere but not positive will check with police to confirm my suspicions
author=kitten2021
Edit:
Oh, I forgot to mention, this is still a work in progress... Thus, no shadows on her face, nose, the bow or her shoes. ~ And ignore inside her mouth, I was too tired to fill in the coloring for that area... -.-"

Well, for once, I thought that was the tooth anyway, and that you are trying something unique :p

The Mouse with a Big Tooth.
kitten2021
But this doesn't help me to understand if I am doing the shadows and highlights correctly... (Though the silly remarks are enjoyed) :)
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
Nice Minnie. And it's looking good, so go for it.
Should her left eye really be that much smaller? I guess you were going for the effect of her head tilted to the side, but it looks kinda weird like that. It should only be a fraction smaller.

The shadows that are there look ok to me, but I'm not an expert either :P I'd say use shadows in the bow and shoes though, since you used it one place; use it everywhere!
kitten2021
I don't see that I made it clear, so I am doing so now...

My apologies, this drawing is not mine; I did a search online for Disney characters from coloring books and got this image. It was all white, I merely have colored it in and added the shadows. My apologies if that came across wrong for everyone... I am merely using the image for shadow testing and highlight testing, then I will draw my own toon.
I was thinking there for a second... For a first timer that's some really good penmanship. Anyways, a good tip for shadows/highlights:

On a separate photoshop layer, put an image of a lightbulb or sun in a certain corner of the screen (you can choose just about anywhere).

Then on the base layers, make the shading with respect to that light source. To me it looks liike you've put your light-source at the upper-right hand corner.

The problem with an imaginary light-source is that for most newbies they tend to forget exactly where they put it, or how exactly the rays cast the shadows. Another good tip here would to draw some rays extending from the lightbulb so you can see exactly what areas would be occluded by the clothing of the character and what areas "gather" more light.
kitten2021
Huh, I never would have thought of this... Thanks Radnen.
(BTW, I'm not using a pen and a pad. This is all strictly mouse... Let me tell you, I have never experienced something so difficult in anything I've ever drawn.)
Pages: 1