RPGMAKER.NET NEEDS YOUR HELP!

Pages: first 123456 next last
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
I do not often discuss the site's inner workings so publicly on rpgmaker.net, but I feel it is my obligation to in this matter as it has the potential to disrupt everything we have built, and everything that our users have built: the game profiles, the community, rpgmaker.net itself. I was contacted by the EVP of UBM TechWeb, our gracious web hosting provider, on April 11th, 2011 to inform us that the server that rpgmaker.net is hosted on is being retired. Their corporately owned websites will be transitioning to a newer server in their corporate data-center. The problem: rpgmaker.net was never bought by UBM TechWeb and would require a lot of effort for them to move due to the site structure and package needs. They would prefer it if we found a new home in the next two to four weeks.

UBM TechWeb (formerly known as Think Services) is the parent company of such organizations as Gamasutra, the Game Developers Conference (GDC), and Game Developer magazine. Our relationship began in late 2008 when they were interested in acquiring both rpgmaker.net domain and a license for the site platform WIP created. They wanted to make rpgmaker.net into Enterbrain's official portal in the west. WIP and myself would have both been kept on to manage the site with UBM acting as a liaison between Enterbrain and the rpgmaker.net team. It was a pretty big deal, and we were very excited about it. Erratic behavior by Enterbrain and the abysmal failure that was Indie Game Maker killed the deal less than a week before it was to go public. UBM was very classy during the whole scenario and even offered to continue hosting rpgmaker.net for free. They have even offered us tickets to the GDC on a couple of occasions. They've taken very good care of us for over two years and for that we are grateful.

However, such an arrangement could not last forever and now it is time for us to go our own separate ways.

This puts rpgmaker.net in a dire position: a burgeoning website without a home. We have looked into purchasing our own dedicated server as we had before UBM, but the technical requirements are greater than they were in 2003 â€" or 2007. The server specs required to host this beast are much greater than the entry level web servers I paid for out of pocket for six years. The Benefactor cannot carry this new burden alone; I have two kids, I took a large pay cut late last year to move closer to home, and I will be starting my Masters program at Northwestern University soon (look up their tuition costs!). Our ad revenue nets us a small income every few months, but not nearly enough to cover the monthly costs of running a server. The other administrators are willing to pitch some fundage in, but it still puts us pretty short.

So we're turning to our userbase to help save rpgmaker.net.

When I reassumed the helm of rpgmaker.net after the April 2nd fiasco, I received several PMs from folks telling me how they took the site for granted and wanted to help. At that time, I politely declined such notions, as I was unaware of the dire challenge we would be facing so soon. I am a proud guy and typically would never ask for help, but I'm not willing to let this community die over my own stubbornness.

So what are we asking for?

We have created a PayPal business account specifically for rpgmaker.net, separate from our personal accounts. Any donation sent to this account will be used strictly to support rpgmaker.net operational expenses. Initial donations will be used to acquire a new dedicated server to transition rpgmaker.net to. Future or reoccurring donations will be used to support the monthly operational costs of the server. Any excess (if any) funds will simply be applied to the next month's bill.

We are in the process of creating an official donations page that will support the following options:

- One-time donations with user selected amounts.
- Recurring monthly sponsorships in fixed amounts ($3, $5, $10).

So what do the donating users get out of this deal?

- The satistifaction of helping keep rpgmaker.net alive for all users
- An achievement for helping to save rpgmaker.net
- Expanded locker space
- Custom user titles
- A date with kentona*
- Other (open to suggestions)

* not really.

Individuals who select the recurring monthly sponsorship option will also receive:
- @rpgmaker.net e-mail address (if requested, as supplies last).
- Personal webspace on the new rpgmaker.net server.
- Google ads will be removed from view
- A 88x31 banner ad for the user's game will be placed in a rotation on the site
- Other (open to suggestions)

Some of these features would not be implemented until RMN4 releases. It was originally planned for rpgmaker.net's 4th birthday on June 1st, 2011 but it might be delayed due to the server move or become non-existent without enough support!

I am open to suggestions about other benefits but we're well aware that we already give our best features away for free. We do not want to do anything that would cripple the core functionality of the site or divide the userbase into multiple tiers. There are some additional game hosting features we could implement into RMN4 but right now we're more concerned with survival.

Donation page (WIP):

http://www.rpgmaker.net/donate

Lets keep this place going for everyone!
donated. send kentona's digits via pm pls
I'll gladly donate to keep this site going.
i don't have a job or a regular form of income.

i am going to donate a hefty amount of money.

(finally, more locker space!)
How much space are you talking? Spherical seems slowly dying out, but not necessarily Sphere.

Maybe if there's a way for Spherical to merge (IE: go away) and in its place this community, I think we can preserve both communities and use a server that's really idling on a going-empty sphere community.

I'm just asking here to see if its even tangible or feasible. If so, I could contact Spherical's current admin and arrange something, but no promises will be made.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
I just made a monthly subscription, please do not squander it on coke and hookers.
Starscream
Radnen, I could be open to working together with Spherical. I've been looking for a way to get some more Sphere information here as I have followed the development of the engine since its infancy. AegisKnight was a cool dude who is also from my home state.

To everybody who donated already: THANKS! I can see I should have made it easier to identify the RMN username of the donators/sponsors so we can whip some stuff up for you folks.
Long Live RMN!
wish I could help, but I don't got no moneyz :'(
I contacted the high-admin at Spherical, so fingers crossed.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
It'd be great if you could post an approximation of how much monthly server upkeep will run? $3 or even $5 a month is pretty doable, but we also don't have hundreds of active members, so I'm curious what kind of numbers we're potentially looking at? :o
Ok, I went head and signed up for the recurring payment, but I used my business account, because I limit the funds in my personal account. I'm mentioning this because it is a different email address than the one registered.

Does that matter?
Ketsumio
I guess he's an Xbox and I'm more Atari
All signed up for the $10 recurring sponsorship option. :)
Hope this helps!!
Starscream
Some of the server quotes we have been getting are in the $99-$119 range but we are also researching the trustworthiness of some of the providers. At most of the recognized data-centers the prices have been around $139-$149 or higher. We require more than the entry level ram these days (anyone else remember RMN3 crashing every few hours before we moved to this shiny box?). One thing working in our advantage right now is that many of the small and medium sized dedicated server providers run "spring" specials in April to drum up new business, so we've been seeing some discounts of about 30% off of the regular price and no setup fees. Setup alone can be pretty expensive at some places!

rpgmaker.net currently generates ~$30 a month in Google Adsense revenue, so it can cover a solid fraction of the server cost -- though this only gets paid out once it reaches a $100 threshold. I am pretty confident that with some support ankylo and I can cover the rest.

author=goldengaav
Ok, I went head and signed up for the recurring payment, but I used my business account, because I limit the funds in my personal account. I'm mentioning this because it is a different email address than the one registered.

Does that matter?

Goldengaav, I am pretty sure I figured out which one was yours. Also folks, keep in mind some of the perks won't be active until RMN4.
my only issue is that I'm not sure if I can keep even 3$ on my account monthly (starving artist and all) but I'll try my best to support. Oh snap it needs my australian debit card (that I have closed right now)

I'll...subscribe later =v=;;
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
Just donated 5$. (I am so helpful)

I am however not gonna go for the monthly subscription, I'd rather just drop in some money monthly on my own accord.

Why?

I hate trying to keep up with monthly billing stuff that pops up on my bank account. "Oh shit thats right, awww." <--- We all know that feeling.
Happy
Devil's in the details
Meh, just wasted all my money on ... things. Going to sign up for the monthly subscription later this month.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
God; I feel awful for not being able to contribute.

Well, looks like next month is time to starve. I'll drop whatever I can.
I'm gonna do a subscription of about $5. Anything for this site - it's kinda like home. ^.^

May be a couple of days before I can get it done, though. Waiting on a new card. =P
I just signed up for the $10 subscription. I'm full-time worker so this amount is nothing really. You're welcome!

A newbie question actually. Do I need to keep my Paypal account stocked up, or can the funds be taken automatically from my bank account? I've never used it before.
author=Little Wing Guy
I just signed up for the $10 subscription. I'm full-time worker so this amount is nothing really. You're welcome!

A newbie question actually. Do I need to keep my Paypal account stocked up, or can the funds be taken automatically from my bank account? I've never used it before.

It should charge your credit card or bank account directly, whichever is your preferred method of payment without any issue.

Pages: first 123456 next last