SOUND DUMP ALA REI

Pages: 1
Happy
Devil's in the details
Latest updates:

27th August 2011: Posted 3 new tracks for the Disconnect Original Soundtrack and a fixed up version of the world map theme:

http://soundcloud.com/matiasheimlander/sets

29th July 2011: Uploaded a cleaned up version of Those Who Battle on youtube:

26th July 2011: Uploaded a cleaned up version of Disconnect Original Soundtrack: Open World theme on youtube:

26th July 2011: Cleaned up and uploaded new versions of Open World and Those Who Battle on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/matiasheimlander

25th July 2011: Completed Those Who Battle (a cyberpunk battle theme) : http://soundcloud.com/matiasheimlander/those-who-battle

25th July 2011: Completed first track of Disconnect Original Soundtrack (in progress) : http://soundcloud.com/matiasheimlander/sets/disconnect-original-soundtrack/

25th July 2011: You can now follow me at Soundcloud at http://soundcloud.com/matiasheimlander

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey there. I've always been interested in the idea of being able to compose my own music for videogames, so in 2010 summer after going to a Distant World concert and seeing mr. Uematsu in person, I thought: "Hell, why not." and began practising as soon as I got back home, with no real music theory base at all.

I borrowed a synth keyboard from a friend of mine and just jumped on the gun, spending all my days in my room, trying to make my ideas into some sort of songs. Lot of people suffered because of this, but I have got a lot of useful feedback, and I also hope it doesn't cease!

Nowadays I am composing soundtracks for two RM games, and am aiming to finish a few more after them. I hope to hit commercial some day.

Here are some old works of mine:

Art by: wierdbabe at Deviant Art

Caption:
This is a game soundtrack piece for a cartoony Wild West themed sidescroller game, made as a request. I wanted to make it sound a bit more lighthearted than the spaghetti westerns and bring some fantasy / game feeling into it.

The general structure took a few hours, but when I changed some of the instruments I had in there first, it took many hours to get some harmony back in there. I'm not entirely happy with how the pizzicato sounds, but as I started the song around it, I didn't feel like changing it. Maybe I'll try to fix it up a bit some day.

Below you can find some of my older works. Melodies, ideas, scrapped practices, etc. I'm most likely still going to use them later and turn them into proper songs in the future:

Art by: various artists at Deviant Art

Caption:
Here's a compilation of some of my old practices, melodies and song ideas.

I started to practice composing music for videogames in the summer of 2010. These are some of my past works to show some progress from my first song until the most recent ones. These songs vary from melody ideas to scrapped practices. They generally lack of proper structure, motifs, harmony and etc.

I am most likely still going to use these ideas in the future and create them into proper full pieces.

(Juicier bits are naturally towards the end.)
Nice work. I can tell you've gotten better when comparing some of your older songs with your newer. Keep it up!
Happy
Devil's in the details
Thanks for listening NicoB. I really appreciate if anyone can take a moment and listen to some of my work. It also seems it's really hard to get any feedback and commentary on music at RM forums generally - I don't know why. It's not like people need to know the theory to comment if they like how something sounds, or if they don't. Plus it's a great help alone if people tell what the songs make them imagine, and what they relate the atmosphere / instruments to.

As I aim to compose music for video games, it'd be nice to know what people would generally accompany the songs with, or if they find the songs fitting for their purpose.
I can go into more detailed feedback about specific songs, but not right now. I'd always be up for critiquing your music, I listen to a lot of music and play bass/guitar. I'm no pro on theory but I'm definitively passionate about music.

Overall, it's good, but there are some parts I don't care for. I don't like some of the lead instrument choices, some of the melodies sound "jagged" and random, your use of cymbal crashes in some songs bug me, and most of it seems very similar.

After reading your story of how you got started, I can say I'm quite impressed. Did you have any past experience playing musical instruments?
Happy
Devil's in the details
author=Link_2112
I can go into more detailed feedback about specific songs, but not right now. I'd always be up for critiquing your music, I listen to a lot of music and play bass/guitar. I'm no pro on theory but I'm definitively passionate about music.
That would be much appreciated, though not necessary for pieces in the compilation video as I consider most of them practices and rough ideas. It would be great to have feedback on my future pieces from you, though!

Overall, it's good, but there are some parts I don't care for. I don't like some of the lead instrument choices, some of the melodies sound "jagged" and random, your use of cymbal crashes in some songs bug me, and most of it seems very similar.
Haha, many of these songs are very experimental, so yeah, about the lead instruments and stuff. I also must admit I am new with usage of cymbal, as I'm with creating music in general! Looking forward to improve.
What did you mean by most of it being similar, though? Did you mean how the songs sound? If that's so then I'm a bit worried! Sometimes I'm wondering if my songs sound the same, but I haven't been sure about it. I'll uh, try to break out of it.

After reading your story of how you got started, I can say I'm quite impressed. Did you have any past experience playing musical instruments?
No, I knew nothing about music theory or about playing any sort of instrument before last summer.
If you want me to critique your works off the record, so you don't have to make them public, I can do that. So the first vid is what you'd mainly want feedback on? Do you have music up anywhere else?

Yeah, I can remember when I first started trying to create bass lines. It all sounded the same. Maybe if you learn some songs on keyboard, it will open your mind to new patterns and chord progressions that you can use in your own compositions. That's how I learned to make better music. I don't know theory at all, so it's all just patterns in my brain. As I learn new songs, I remember the patterns and I'll sit down with a small section/pattern and slowly tweak it every time I play it. Like, play the same bar over and over and over for 30 minutes, creating small variations.

Me not liking the lead instrument could just be a preference. Depending on the game/mood your trying to set, it could actually be very fitting. Could also be the quality of the samples you are using.

Most of what was similar was in the compilation, but it did feel kind of similar to the western piece. I'd have to listen to it again and focus on things to be able to describe what about it feels similar. That's just sort of an after-thought in my mind from listening to it all. I wouldn't worry about that this early on in your career, just create. It will probably come naturally to be able to control the overall theme/feel of your pieces. Best thing to do is to learn music of vastly different styles and be able to emulate them. Be able to understand what it is about them that makes it unique, then apply that to your pieces.

No, I knew nothing about music theory or about playing any sort of instrument prior to last summer.

Well your off to a damn good start!
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
It's hard for people to critique when they're getting something like art or music in a community like this, because it makes them seem needy. You said that riding song was a request, so I may be assuming too much.
That's quite impressive! What sound software did you use to create these songs?
I really like the drumbeats in your songs, but I think the synthesiser is a bit too overwhelming, it would probably sound better if you choose different synthesiser samples.
Happy
Devil's in the details
author=Link_2112
If you want me to critique your works off the record, so you don't have to make them public, I can do that. So the first vid is what you'd mainly want feedback on? Do you have music up anywhere else?
Yes, if you really don't mind, it'd be great to have active feedback from you. I'll probably contact you about this later.

Yeah, I can remember when I first started trying to create bass lines. It all sounded the same. Maybe if you learn some songs on keyboard, it will open your mind to new patterns and chord progressions that you can use in your own compositions. That's how I learned to make better music. I don't know theory at all, so it's all just patterns in my brain. As I learn new songs, I remember the patterns and I'll sit down with a small section/pattern and slowly tweak it every time I play it. Like, play the same bar over and over and over for 30 minutes, creating small variations.
Yeah, the problem is just that I currently don't have a midi keyboard. I'm in process of getting one as soon as I can, though.

Most of what was similar was in the compilation, but it did feel kind of similar to the western piece. I'd have to listen to it again and focus on things to be able to describe what about it feels similar. That's just sort of an after-thought in my mind from listening to it all. I wouldn't worry about that this early on in your career, just create. It will probably come naturally to be able to control the overall theme/feel of your pieces. Best thing to do is to learn music of vastly different styles and be able to emulate them. Be able to understand what it is about them that makes it unique, then apply that to your pieces.
Well yeah, my basslines and chords are still pretty simple, so they probably sound similar for now.

And cheers for liking my stuff in general!

author=Dudesoft
It's hard for people to critique when they're getting something like art or music in a community like this, because it makes them seem needy. You said that riding song was a request, so I may be assuming too much.
I know the feeling. I have it too when I get nitpicky about any art posted in RMN. But for now, most, if not all my works are created for members of RMN and the projects my songs are currently being used at are aimed for this community mainly, so it's really okay for anyone here to post any commentary and feedback to me. I don't really mind the critique considering I'm still a beginner, and even if I would be more advanced musician and had hard time taking in criticism, my craft would be limited and slowed down as a result.

author=Spiderlily
That's quite impressive! What sound software did you use to create these songs?
I really like the drumbeats in your songs, but I think the synthesiser is a bit too overwhelming, it would probably sound better if you choose different synthesiser samples.
Hey, thanks! I use FL Studio. I'm aiming to get Pro Tools some day when I have enough money and proper work station, though. I personally think I have pretty good sound samples, but I may not utilize them the best possible way. The program gives a lot of control over the sounds, so if you don't like how something sounds, it's most likely my fault, not my samples. I use Synergi sound library. In which song you didn't like the synthesizer?
Happy
Devil's in the details
Some updates! I am currently working on two soundtracks, the new addition being the soundtrack of Disconnect, an rpg you can find here: http://rpgmaker.net/games/3258/

I will upload all the pieces for Disconnect soundtrack to my soundcloud profile as I finish them, which isn't the case I could go about my other soundtrack. This means you can find all the new pieces of Disconnect Original Soundtrack on my soundcloud page always as I finish them.

You can follow me on soundcloud here: http://soundcloud.com/matiasheimlander

I have also uploaded the battle theme which I finished for my other soundtrack: http://soundcloud.com/matiasheimlander/those-who-battle

I try to polish the pieces before uploading them to my soundcloud, but I still update the tracks with some fixes every now and then.
Happy
Devil's in the details
Updates on the Disconnect Original Soundtrack! 3 new complete pieces and the original world map theme has been updated to match the sound quality.

You can find all the new tracks on my soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/matiasheimlander/sets
as well as on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MatiasHeimlander#p/c/FA497C6E562B9EC4

But to save you from the trouble, here you go:

I also just got myself a new midi-controller keyboard. The difference it'll make to the whole process is hard to even describe, I believe (and hope!) It'll help a lot with coming up with melodies, with being creative andjust making the songs sound better and more catchy in general. I'm aware my songs so far sound somewhat the same, but I hope the keyboard will bring some change to this.

I haven't had a chance to utilized the keyboard yet, but in any songs I create from now on, I will!
Pages: 1