LET'S DRAW! A COMICBOOK!

Pages: first 12345 next last
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
The Comic is Here!

Participants
Ketsumio Erilex Nessiah ae Halibabica Dudesoft SorceressKrysty NewBlack Ketsumio Shinan Karsuman Yuhikaru AABattery

The purpose behind this exercise was this:
The Story Bible
Everyone should see this. It should not leave the inkers or even letterers in the dark. I for one, learned this lesson as an inker on my last project. The writers and pencillers all had turn around images and setting images, and of course the script.
What I got, was the pencilling. The pencils were pretty tight in most places... but I had to do a lot of guess work. As a result, continuity error.

In this project, I made a point to show you each exactly what I wanted you to see. Nothing more, and sometimes less!
As a case in point, I never included the President in any of the instructions.
example 1:
(Despite being different styles, these characters look totally different.)

Being part of the whole process is key to successful comic making.
I'll discuss story bibles after we get through all the points in this certain comic, as we'll make one for the next comic!

Flow of Information
I will explain how the flow works extensively later, for now let's look at one of Shinan's pages. (here)
While not fancy, I instantly knew what it was missing. The artwork is fine. It tells the story and -could- flow pretty well with some small tweaks.
example2:
Here, I flipped two images, moved a lightpost to create a panel, and added dynamic lighting for effect. It's not perfect, but it highlights my point about flow.

The eye should move easier through the page now, understanding where to go next, which is the core point of "Flow of Information". Again, this is something I need to spend more time on explaining. Right now; is just overviews of things to come.

Setting, Characters, Action!
It is vital in every page to give the reader something interesting to look at. This is the business of entertainment above all else. Even a dry, boring, long-winded tale should be entertaining.
For this, we change things up in each panel. There are some comics out now, that are perfect examples of what NOT to do. In one Dark Avengers comic I picked up, there are I believe two pages of just Normon Osborn on tv making various gestures but not moving at all. It doesn't move the eye, it doesn't interest me, and is just bad art overall.
This all ties in to Flow of Information, but that aside... there should be on every page; an action panel, an emotion panel and a setting panel. Show the reader where they are, what to feel and what's happening, essencially.

example3:
These backgrounds are starkly different. You can tell volumes about where you are with the top, and almost nothing with the bottom.

There's plenty more to cover, but for now, we'll stick to the above three topics.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
Im in,gimmie something like #10. :D
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Any slot will do.
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
I'll try, especially I already making a comic

//edit: I'd like to take place number 1.
Happy
Devil's in the details
I'd like a page between 12 - 16! It's cool we'll go at the same time, just make sure to warn everybody enough in advance.
Give me anything except page 1.
I'm in. Give me something before 10 so it won't conflict with my #14 spot in the other comic.
Dudesoft
Sorry Rave, I gave you a page that will suit your style.

Guys I would like to emphasize before we get moving EVERYBODY DRAWS AT THE SAME TIME
Please see the rules.
author=Dudesoft
Sorry Rave, I gave you a page that will suit your style.

Guys I would like to emphasize before we get moving EVERYBODY DRAWS AT THE SAME TIME
Please see the rules.

Yeah I read the rules and was thinking "Why are people taking numbers then?"

But then I realised it's to do with beginning/middle/end and storyline (at least, I hope it is)... With me, I just didn't want to have to set the standard by having the first page ('cause it'll still READ chronologically even if it's not made chronologically).

ALSO, lol:

Me - "Give me anything except 1"
Dudesawft - *gives NB #2"

ALSO!

When did Kars apply?
author=Dudesoft
Please see the rules.

Right. I read that over, but once I got to the 'page numbers' part, I completely forgot it. Perhaps listing the page numbers is kind of irrelevant at this point in time?
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
hit me with page 17!!
Dudesoft
author=InvaderZim
Right. I read that over, but once I got to the 'page numbers' part, I completely forgot it. Perhaps listing the page numbers is kind of irrelevant at this point in time?
Very relevant. Each page has individual instructions. You'll see. ;)

author=NewBlack
When did Kars apply?
Karsu joined over IRC.
That sounds so much fun! Give me any number, please :]
Ketsumio
I guess he's an Xbox and I'm more Atari
Sounds Mathematical!!! :D I'll take page one...GRRRR No FEAR!
I punch fear in the face! @__@
I'll finish the comic off with 20.
sounds fun, I'll go somewhere in the middle
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Do I dare?

Yeah, I dare. I will do my worst best they are the same thing.

Any page will do!

EDIT: wait, missed the visual style rule. Nevermind!
hopefully the visual style rule won't be too strictly applied.
Dudesoft
Just enough so the protagonist and key elements are distinguishable.
Im reserving page 7 for hali.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Sounds like I'm in after all. I'll try not to disappoint! o.o
Pages: first 12345 next last