FAVORITE VIDEOGAME WORLD.

Pages: first 123456 next last
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I ran into this problem where there were videogame worls that I fell in love with - even if I didn't like the game itself.

For example, Chrono Cross' world was gorgeous. Tropical setting was something pretty unique to me in an RPG. It was just that underwater imagery that really got me.

Though, I hated the game.

Another example is Final Fantasy 8. I didn't dislike it as much as I disliked Chrono Cross, but I loved the world more than I did the game itself.

What are your favorite "game worlds" (regardless of whether or not you liked the game itself)?
My favorite is actually a bit shameful.

While Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was a pretty sad rpg, I loved the world it was in. The music was pretty vibrant and well done, matching well with the towns and dungeons. Everything was bright and hopeful(without being over the top) ^^.

I also love, loved the world of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. The Centre where the Reagents lived was beautifully done, and the world itself was just well thought out, dark, and desperate, giving a real depth to the storyline of the game.

Oh, and the Light World in Link to the Past was excellent, had a great feel to it.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I really liked the world of Final Fantasy 9.
I'm also a big fan of the game itself, so that makes it all the better.
Interesting topic.

The first one that comes to mind is the .hack world. Love the seemingly endless possibilities of levels to access and the randomly generated dungeons just add to that.
treeghost
a lot better than being a wapanese kiddo
author=InfectionFiles
I really liked the world of Final Fantasy 9.
I'm also a big fan of the game itself, so that makes it all the better.

this and of course Jade Cocoon. But it was tooooo short. :(
YDS
member of the bull moose party
Oh shi - I forgot about FF9.
I am a HUGE fan of the background in the Ar Tonelico series. The interconnecting lore, concepts, and especially the languages created for the series really bring it to life for me. (Al Bhed never felt that cool, being as it was a simple cipher. -_-)
Happy
Devil's in the details
For some reason I have hard time recalling any nice RPG game worlds beside FF8 and FF9, either Though, I do also like sort of tropical and lush settings, kinda like Grandia and maybe Breath of Fire 4. In both of the latter games the worlds felt also sort of unexplored and adventurous.

FF9 felt kind of "old world" in sort of way, and FF8 was cool for all the scifi-ish stuff, like Esthar, Gardens, etc. Also, I really liked Timber and Deling city (Probably because of the song Under Her Control.)
Give me Suikoden's massive, detailed, historied, and expansive world or give me death.
While Oblivion is a better game, I liked the setting for Morrowind a lot better. Imperial occupation and giant mushrooms instead of boring trees. Heck yes.
author=Jude
While Oblivion is a better game, I liked the setting for Morrowind a lot better. Imperial occupation and giant mushrooms instead of boring trees. Heck yes.

Agreed, Morrowind had an excellently immersive world.
author=goldengaav
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
pretty much this

oh and the first two Shadow Hearts games' "unique" take on early 20th century Eurasia was pretty cool/hilarious

oh uh and Ivalice obviously
I think the most obviouse one for me, while not technically a world, would be the Milky Way from Mass Effect.

Others that I really enjoy are:

Isle O' Hags (Banjo Tooie)
The world of FF7
Auldrant (Tales Of The Abyss)
Terca Lumireis (Tales Of Vesperia)
Syvarant & Tethe'alla (Tales Of Symphonia)
and The Legacy (Tales Of Legendia)
author=Lennon
I think the most obviouse one for me, while not technically a world, would be the Milky Way from Mass Effect.

Others that I really enjoy are:

Isle O' Hags (Banjo Tooie)
The world of FF7
Auldrant (Tales Of The Abyss)
Terca Lumireis (Tales Of Vesperia)
Syvarant & Tethe'alla (Tales Of Symphonia)
and The Legacy (Tales Of Legendia)

I will say I did love the world from Tales of Destiny
author=Lennon
The Legacy (Tales Of Legendia)
oh yeah, this was pretty cool!
author=Feldschlacht IV
Give me Suikoden's massive, detailed, historied, and expansive world or give me death.

Mm. The Suikoden world got to be so well-developed over the first 5 games (and spinoffs etc.), it's a shame they went "nah this is getting too interesting" and tried to reinvent it with Tierkreis on DS. If there even ARE any more instalments, they'd better be back to the old Suikoverse. : (

Slightly different criteria, but... I've had the 'which fictional world would you live in' discussion a lot and from the videogame kinda region people usually settle on Pokemon, for the whole innocence of it, but I also quite like Valkyria Chronicles, for the whole innocence of the Second World War. Although the main way VC isn't just a historical (or history-with-names-and-places-changed) setting is the Valkyrur and their magic etc. which I assume are supposed to be... nuclear weapons...? In any case, I never really got that excited about that aspect of it (plus Selvaria's cartoonish super-rack did not help matters), so...

Also, Rei's avatar has reminded me of Azure Dreams and while a little light on lore etc. the 'stuck in a thriving town in the middle of the desert for the whole game' was pretty cool, I thought! More recently, I really liked the dystopian Basel Tower in Resonance of Fate, too. I'm so glad they didn't break out of the place early-game a la FFVII. (well, they might, I stopped playing. I'd be surprised, though)
It seems stupid but I like the world of Pokemon, like c'mon who wouldn't want a freaking Golurk to fly you to anywhere you want? I swear a world of Pokemon would be a very convenient thing to have. Plus being able to battle and a bunch of other things, mind you they'd have their negative effects, but I like the world for the way it is like.
Oh god, I forgot about the benefits of having what amounts to a flying mecha by your side, 24/7. So yeah, Isshu is definitely up there as well.
author=goldengaav
While Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was a pretty sad rpg, I loved the world it was in.

WHAT? What world? Hehehe. Not really memorable.

As for me, come to mind Shadowrun and Paladin's Quest. Neither are great games, but the settings are very interesting and immersive (for different reasons).
Pages: first 123456 next last