WORST VIDEO GAMES YOU'VE PLAYED THIS YEAR

Pages: first 123456 next last
What have been some disappointing games you've played so far this year?

For me, one of them was the new "Lost" video game which is based from the tv show. I was expecting it to be quite good and even read some pretty good reviews of it but it completely sucked. The only thing i quite enjoyed about it was the music.

So, what are yours?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I only spend money on good games, so this is tough... I guess Tales of the Abyss is the worst game I've played this year. And it's not even that bad!
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
This year I have gotten pretty good games, if your counting 2007 also then I'll say "Sonic and the Secret Rings" is the worst game I've played so far.

I wanted ot get Tales of Abyss but I got Tales of Legendia it's okay but Tales of Symphonia(Gamecube) really set the bar high
Call of Duty 4. I don't really know why people like this game because it's so incredibly dull and mindless. I like shooters a lot, but Call of Duty is just the worst kind of shooter out there and gives the genre a bad name.
Assassin's Creed made me want to shoot myself. All I did was jump around and run away from endless gaurds, and went through a horrible combat system, reminded me of Oblivion.
I am usually pretty careful on what I buy. My brother got Halo 3, that was pretty mediocre (single player at least). I played Assassins Creed at a friends house for a couple of hours, it was pretty disappointing (It got repetetive in the short time I played it - not good).

author=brandonabley link=topic=842.msg11184#msg11184 date=1206809396
Call of Duty 4. I don't really know why people like this game because it's so incredibly dull and mindless. I like shooters a lot, but Call of Duty is just the worst kind of shooter out there and gives the genre a bad name.

I thought it was good. There where some fairly intense sequences in the game, although I will agree that there are missions that are kind of mindless and boring.

I also played a little bit of Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, that wasn't to good.
author=NoblemanNick link=topic=842.msg11180#msg11180 date=1206802439
This year I have gotten pretty good games, if your counting 2007 also then I'll say "Sonic and the Secret Rings" is the worst game I've played so far.

I wanted ot get Tales of Abyss but I got Tales of Legendia it's okay but Tales of Symphonia(Gamecube) really set the bar high
Tales of the Abyss is Tales of Symphonia on crack. Seriously. Blows Tales of Legendia out of the water. ... at least in terms of gameplay and story. There's a reason they say that one of the characters in TotA undergoes one of the greatest (though slightly annoying) character developments in recent memory.

I, also, am pretty good with what I buy. I usually wait till a while after its out before I get it unless I really really need it (like Diamond/Pearl, lawl). But I think the game that I got recently I play the least out of anything I've gotten has been Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. I think it's the problem of having to grind to L10 just to get a new monster, and you're never quite sure what you're going to need next. I mean, if I could scout a monster, then go and combine it with another one right away, I'd be happy. But I can't. I have to take that monster and grind. And it's a Dragon Quest game, so grinding takes FOREVER. ... yeah.
Final Fantasy 5 Advance

I've only tried the optional post-game dungeon this year, and it was painfully boring, and that's what I'm basing this off of. I'm really glad I never got FF6A if its post-game dungeon was in the same vein, because I wouldn't try that dungeon without an emulator armed with frameskip
lol your the same as me trance except when i see a new final fantasy game come out i have to buy it straight it away. It's square enix, you know it's going to be good.

P.S. I'm obsessed with pokemon too. 8)
author=trance2 link=topic=842.msg11254#msg11254 date=1206994147
But I think the game that I got recently I play the least out of anything I've gotten has been Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. I think it's the problem of having to grind to L10 just to get a new monster, and you're never quite sure what you're going to need next. I mean, if I could scout a monster, then go and combine it with another one right away, I'd be happy. But I can't. I have to take that monster and grind. And it's a Dragon Quest game, so grinding takes FOREVER. ... yeah.

That game makes me a sad panda. I loved the original DQM1+2, but no matter how I try, I get pissed off at the horrible scouting system and shitty navigation. I've been stuck on the game not because of some dumb dungeon puzzle or some tough boss, but because of the fact I can never seem to capture a dark slime knight. :(
author=trance2 link=topic=842.msg11254#msg11254 date=1206994147
But I think the game that I got recently I play the least out of anything I've gotten has been Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker.

It's funny that you say that because out of several hundreds of dollars I've blown on DS games, Joker is the only one I have liked a lot (other than the first 1/4 of Final Fantasy DS before I realized that it was actually even *less* dynamic than the original NES game). Just like any other DQ game, the time it takes to grind is actually intended to discourage you from grinding. Unfortunately some people don't realize that and instead of trying to win hard battles through strategy would rather gain levels so that the battle is no longer hard for them. Dragon Quest games are the most finely-balanced jRPGs in the universe and it's important to trust the game's sense of flow rather than try to interrupt it by grinding.

I recommend that you just keep going ahead and try to play through the game and let the level-ups come as they do, breed your monsters when you can, and try not to break the system. Even basic rank E monsters can be incredibly useful if you keep them around and unlock new skills for them -- I remember using some rank E or D jellyfish monster all the way to the end of the game because it healed so many HP. It's an enormously fun game as long as you don't take your time too often.

Also once you get past the beginning of the game, all the monsters you catch are at a high enough level to breed right away. So again you are really not rewarded for trying to breed at the beginning of the game. Towards the end you can catch level 20 monsters to your heart's content and breed all sorts of zany combinations.
Counting 2007, because I'm still playing the same games, Rule of the Rose is by far the worst game I've played. There's just absolutely nothing good about it. I've heard that story becomes incredible later on, but right now, it's moving too slow, the game itself is horrible, so I don't know if it's worth suffering through all of that.
Boogie for the Wii.

The songs are just covers, there's a really annoying Dance tutorial at the begining (that you cannot skip), the "boogie" dancing aspect sucks (waggle waggle waggle), the song list is small, the "videos" are just boogie's lame character models having a seizure in front of generic backgrounds, and it's way too easy to obtain massive scores. (I sang a cover of Daft Punk's One More Time for the first time ever and, keeping in mind that my singing sounds like a drowning cat, I scored 800,000+ points. To get a Gold Rating you need 300,000.)

Don't ever play Boogie.
I haven't played Boogie but by the sound of it I'm gonna second that Kentona. Scoring 500,000 over the Gold score on your first try is just sad. The game, I mean, not you.
author=kentona link=topic=842.msg11300#msg11300 date=1207082014
Boogie for the Wii.

The songs are just covers, there's a really annoying Dance tutorial at the begining (that you cannot skip), the "boogie" dancing aspect sucks (waggle waggle waggle), the song list is small, the "videos" are just boogie's lame character models having a seizure in front of generic backgrounds, and it's way too easy to obtain massive scores. (I sang a cover of Daft Punk's One More Time for the first time ever and, keeping in mind that my singing sounds like a drowning cat, I scored 800,000+ points. To get a Gold Rating you need 300,000.)

Don't ever play Boogie.

Ha, waggle waggle waggle. Me and my friends were playing this just the other day. Turned it off in about 15 minutes. I think i scored around 700,000.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
author=demondestiny link=topic=842.msg11270#msg11270 date=1207018889
It's square enix, you know it's going to be good.

Yeah I quickly learned to ditch that mentality over 10 years ago when I unwittingly bought Saga Frontier and Legend of Mana. It was a valid assumption to make in the early-mid 90's.
I quite enjoyed legend of Mana, although it isn't as good as the titles they make now. Had a cool story to it and the gameplay wasn't half bad.
Just played Assassins Creed. This was a total disappointment. Combat system sucked, gameplay sucked. Far too hard and definitely wasn't worth paying $120 for it.
$120?!?!?! Holy crap! Why?
author=Ciel link=topic=842.msg11533#msg11533 date=1207448460
Yeah I quickly learned to ditch that mentality over 10 years ago when I unwittingly bought Saga Frontier

Man I could write a thesis on why SaGa Frontier is actually really amazing and that most people are approaching it the wrong way because I don't think it was ever intended to be a good video game.

author=kentona link=topic=842.msg11552#msg11552 date=1207486815
$120?!?!?! Holy crap! Why?

I think he lives in one of those former Soviet Bloc contries where everything is incredibly expensive and life is generally cruel.
Pages: first 123456 next last