GAME-PLAY FUNCTIONALITY

Pages: first prev 12 last
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=LockeZ
If everyone has a weakness, there is literally no difference between that move and a non-elemental attack.

Everybody is weak to this nonelemental attack so it's like everything constantly critting you. Amazing.
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
Wanted to know how this sounds and how I would (if possible) be able to go about it using Rpg Maker 2003.

I wanted to give each character the ability to use their maximum amount of MP points at the start of the game, so to speak. Were they have it but they have it at 0 and earn MP points during battle when they attack their enemies. Sort of like absorbing, but I don't know how to go about it.

The reason I wanted to do this, is because I don't know any possible way to make new moves appear once they get so much points. Like a Limit Break. But with this way, they can easily earn MP points and once the set amount is earned, they can use their special limits. Also to add leveled up spells, just makes it easier.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well, you can just give them all a permanent MP Regen effect. You'll need a common event parallel process to reduce everyone's MP to zero and apply the status any time you're out of battle, and a battle event in every encounter to re-apply the status any time a character is revived.

If you want it to literally be on-hit, it'll probably be better for your game, since the rate of gaining MP won't increase or decrease depending on the number of living characters/enemies, but more work. Instead of a status effect, you'll need battle events that are triggered by every command that every character can input, and give them the MP at that point. And then, as before, create a common event parallel process that reduces MP to zero.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I like the comment event idea. Less overall coding that way. I mean, you still have to have the event called at Round 0 for each battle party, as I'm not sure how else you'd do it. Though, I don't quite see why you wouldn't cause the MP Regen condition as well as setting the party's MP to 0 in the same event. Consider: You'd have to be sure that there's no spell/ability that cancels the MP regen, outside of the "after battle" trigger. That's a status condition handler, if I remember my base RPGM-2k3 well enough.

Also, all abilities, even healing ones, would have to have a "only in battle" for their timing to get the flavor this system seems to want.
Thiamor
I wanted to know how something like this would sound to you all.

I planned on making a game, that focuses on how a 'summon' from Final Fantasy and other games, actually becomes a Summon.

Well, I wanted to do it like this.
There will be 5 characters in the Database. 1 of which is the normal person, and the other 4 will be 4 parts of one whole being. Fire, Water, Earth, and Wind. I thought about making a Transformation skill with a conditional Branch, and if say, the normal person is in the party, it will give 4 choices to choose from. If you're already changed, it will automatically change you back to the normal character.

How's this function sound to you?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'm not sure what you want to know about it.
author=Thiamor
I wanted to know how something like this would sound to you all.

I planned on making a game, that focuses on how a 'summon' from Final Fantasy and other games, actually becomes a Summon.

Well, I wanted to do it like this.
There will be 5 characters in the Database. 1 of which is the normal person, and the other 4 will be 4 parts of one whole being. Fire, Water, Earth, and Wind. I thought about making a Transformation skill with a conditional Branch, and if say, the normal person is in the party, it will give 4 choices to choose from. If you're already changed, it will automatically change you back to the normal character.

How's this function sound to you?

I think you should make the summons do their everyday life things like doing laundry, going to pta meetings, deal with feelings of inadequacy, etc. and then have them randomly ripped from the summons world during inconvenient moments (like while driving or reading the newspapers) to fight enemies in FF world.
Thiamor
Seeing what your opinion on functions like that would be.

I like knowing what the community thinks. Isn't too hard to understand that :P

I just want to know what you all think, and what you'd do to better an idea such as that.
Thiamor
Oh when I mentioned something before about any enemy being able to crit-hit you, what I really meant was a system set up, that would be like a spinner. The spinner would spin, and what it landed on, the enemy would do. Say you fight a monster who is based on luck, then that monster would have an easier time hitting your critical zones. Everyone has them. Everyone has 4 of them, all being Elemental. If the Spinner lands on fire, it would critical hit you based on your fire defense.

But the Spinner is large, and it can also spin on something that would instead, hurt the user. This is what I meant by that whole thing.

---Sorry for the double post.---
dokapon had a spinner and that game was awesome.
Thiamor
I love your thing about them being ripped into the FF world. I'll do a parody game about that, later on.
Thiamor
Oh, another idea came to mind when playing Wild Arms 2, and this idea has nothing to do with that game. I just think of ideas when I do stuff.

A fight where there are 3 things in the battle that you fight. 2 being special monsters and 1 being the tamer, so to speak. If you kill one of the monsters, the person who killed it dies upon the death of the one attacked. There will be 3 characters to use during battle, and if you choose the one in which a person dies, there will always be 1 character left. But if you kill the tamer, they run off.

This way, if you do the full fight, there will be 1 person getting the full exp, or if you do the short way, they get the full exp of the tamer, split 3 ways, only.
Thiamor
I have another idea, with the one above this one.
Breaking. I wanted to try to set up a function called Breaking, that breaks weapons and armors depending on the power and defense of you, and the monster. I don't want to add a limit as to how much it can take. I want to set it up so it is random. People may hate it, but I would want to add a thing to reflect it and/ or make it nullified.
Thiamor
Question. Since many games (RPG games, in-particular) have it where you have to talk to people around you and search around until you find things you'd need to know by them speaking to you, I wanted to make a thing where you get a small bit of experience points for talking to people. Not enough to cause abuse, but enough so once you talk to enough people you can level up. Say it gives 10 points per person. Does this seem like an interesting concept? Then it can help ease grinding up if grinding is needed at parts.
I kinda like the idea. Balance is key. Time invested should equal the reward, regardless of how the player chooses to use that time. Assuming that when you talk to someone they only give you experience once.
In Tales of Symphonia, if you made Zelos the main character every girl you talked to would give you an item. It was a really fun element and I ran around the world chatting up all the ladies. I loved it!

Edit: Also, I recommend not using a "break" system.
Thiamor
Well there would be shops to fix breaking.

Also, I plan on using, and pretty sure it is possible, the default battle screen, for a custom battle. It is in XP, and what I wanted to do, is make conditional branches for everyone, that if they do certain attacks and skills, it'll change their battle graphics to form an animation until it does the attack. Figured it'd be a bit different, easy to do, yet still be familiar to the players enough to be liked in both ways of being new and old.
Pages: first prev 12 last