DO YOU WANT TO TALK TO YOUR COMPUTERS? (AND CONSOLES)

Pages: first 12 next last
Do you want voice recognition to play a large role in running computer programs and browsing the internet? I have read a few articles where people speculate this is the future. It's great for those who need to overcome a disability. If I were expected to adapt to such a change, I would be miserable. If you could replace your mouse by using your voice, would you?

Video games that use motion sensors are becoming mainstream. I already think it looks ridiculous to see someone hopping around in their living room playing fake tennis. Am I weird for thinking a person using a traditional controller to play fake tennis is any less ridiculous?

Voice recognition to make games hands free also makes me feel uncomfortable. I don't want to see a day I play my rogue on WoW and say "Sinister Strike, Sinister Strike, Sinister Strike, Eviscerate, Get out of Fire!" I think of speaking as something interpersonal, and talking to my computer would make me feel like a crazy person just talking to myself.

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I talk at (read: bitch) my computer enough as it is and I fear how much my fits of rage while failing at games might affect my system. They've got stuff like that "Dragon" voice-recognition software mainly used for writing lengthy word documents, but since Hey You, Pikachu!, I've come to expect anything short of the exact voice used by the programmers during production will provide faulty results.

I could see how this would benefit those with disabilities that keep them from using their hands for any period of time, but as a mainstream utility, popularity and usefulness seems shaky.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Voice recognition is, personally, more about talking at computers rather than talking to them. As for the technology itself, I find their potential use by the disabled to be promising, but I'm otherwise unimpressed by their inaccuracy and slow response times compared to the traditional keyboard/mouse/joystick (at least for now).

As for whether I want to talk to, as in converse with, computers? Hell yes. I dream of the day where I can have a nice conversation with a "Super AI" much like the characters and robots in many super robot anime do.

EDIT:
Am I weird for thinking a person using a traditional controller to play fake tennis is any less ridiculous?
From a neutral point of view, you probably are. To the uninitiated, someone shaking their arm at a TV screen is just as weird as someone pounding away furiously on a game controller.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I can click six places on a screen way faster than I can say any six words. I can type far faster than I can use speech recognition to produce the same text, since punctuation and cursor movement is such a goddamn chore. Not to mention that anything that involves voice recognition can't be done in places where noise isn't allowed - which is like 100% of my life, since I live in an apartment and my neighbors call the front desk to complain about the noise every time I talk on the phone, watch TV without headphones, or let my alarm clock beep more than five seconds. And is at least half of almost anyone's life, unless they live alone in a house.

So voice recognition is slow, inaccurate, inconvenient, and frequently impossible. There are only two reasons to ever use it. The first is because your hands are busy doing something else - say, driving a car, or playing a game that involves so much concurrent input that you have to speak at the same time as pressing five buttons and moving the joystick. (Which would be a shittily designed and unplayable game.) The second is because a device is so small that no form of textile input is physically possible. Which is almost certainly the "future" that the articles you read were referring to. Damned microscopic iPods.

As an aside, every time I have to blow into the DS's microphone or shout "Objection" I want to bulldoze a litter of kittens. There is no other part of gaming that increases my blood pressure so much. I invariably get to the end of each Phoenix Wright game at 2:30 AM, and I have to go outside and walk half a block down the street in the dark just to be far away enough from people that I can shout at my game system and watch the ending. ...Have they made a Zelda game yet where you have to shout "Hey, listen!" to Link to let him know there's a puzzle nearby?
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
I am not a big fan of motion/waggle gaming or voice commands but I don't mind them too much when I can still use traditional controls. The Xbox 360 UI does this -- I can use my controller or remote to navigate the menus but I can also use the Kinect motion or voice controls. I see a lot of cool stuff that this technology can make possible but I also think it's still far too clunky to rely on as a primary interface for most things.
Agreed, and by the time computers are smart enough to recognize it perfectly, they will have become self aware, and become our overlords
I mumble way too much for this to be effective! The same thing goes for pointing devices. Back when they were selling the concept of a mouse, they said "It's just like using your finger on screen!". And then the iPad was like, "this is better because you are using your finger!!!11!1" but do you know what is better than using your finger? a mouse. That way my hammy hands aren't taking up a quarter of the screen!!! Plus, the precision of a mouse pointer is far greater than my sausage fingers.

But back to the topic at hand. I usually play games with the sound turned off completely these days, so voice interaction is out for me. (though it could be cool! I could imagine it being fun as an optional input for an RTS. "Squadron 1 - Attack left flank!!")
I like my technology to have mouses/keyboards/etc. than voice recognition or something like that. You can't sneak in the middle of the night and play your favorite games while screaming at the computer XD
author=kentona
(though it could be cool! I could imagine it being fun as an optional input for an RTS. "Squadron 1 - Attack left flank!!")
There was a recent game that did this.

I think it would be a fun gimmick. I haven't played any games with voice stuff. In fact I haven't even played a lot of multiplayer FPSes with voice chat going on. (I'm mostly a guy who just jumps into some public server, has fun for an hour or so and leaves)

I think however that making it sort of optional is actually a bad thing. For stuff like voice recognition commands to reach full potential it has to be the main focus of the game. AND the first few attempts should fail miserably. But after that we'd probably get some really awesome stuff.

As long as it's just an optional gimmick people will try it then go back to their old ways. Of course I'm a fairly quiet guy so there's that obstacle too.

also
author=Archeia_Nessiah
I like my technology to have mouses/keyboards/etc. than voice recognition or something like that. You can't sneak in the middle of the night and play your favorite games while screaming at the computer XD

Sneaking around would be a bitch and I do this almost every Friday night when I have my playstation binge, I have exams now so every things gone covert, apart from that I'll say its one step closer to virtual reality and one giant leap for game kind.
If you have Windows 7 it comes with a nifty voice-recognition tool.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The voice recognition in Windows 7 is a great example of why voice recognition is completely implausible as anything but a last resort.

(I realize there are better ones, but they cost hundreds of dollars. You want every piece of software and every game to cost hundreds of dollars to account for the cost of including decent voice recognition in it? Even the best ones seem pretty bad, anyway.)

"Welcome to T-Mobile Communications Support. Please state the nature of your call."
MY PHONE WAS STOLEN.
"It sounds like you're saying you want to renew your subscription. Is that correct?"
NO.
"Please state the nature of your call."
MY. PHONE. WAS. STOLEN.
"It sounds like you're saying you want to upgrade to a premium data plan. Is that correct?"
NO.
"Please state the nature of your call."
I WANT TO SPEAK TO A LIVE REPRESENTATIVE.
"It sounds like you're saying you want to renew your subscription. Is that correct?"
NO. NO YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT I WANT TO TALK TO A GODDAMN HUMAN BEING. GIVE ME A HUMAN OPERATOR OR I WILL DRIVE DOWN THERE AND FIREBOMB THE DAMNED CALL CENTER. I KNOW THIS THING IS PROGRAMMED TO RECOGNIZE FUCKING PROFANITY AND GIVE ME A HUMAN IF I CURSE AT IT. SHIT FUCK DAMN HELL SHITTY GODDAMN BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS.
"Thank you for continuing to choose T-Mobile. Please enter your telephone number so we can begin processing your subscription renewal."
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
shoot-shoot-SHOOT- I SAID SHOOT YOU FUCKING JHRFDKJTGFYHGIKUJHBKJHB PIECE OF SHIT TGFUITGJHTG GODDAMN PRUSSIAN MADE GARBAGE SHIT FUCKLKHGDCGF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No I'd rather not go through that.
LockeZ
I guess turn-based and wait-mode RPGs are one of the few types of games where it's actually vaguely semi-plausible? I still see no advantage unless the device is fingernail-sized. And surely the idea of a fingernail-sized voice-controlled game console is stupid enough that people aren't really interested in one, right? Then again, that's what I thought about tiny cellphones that only have touch screens also.
Did you guys know that MIT has been developing some very nice voice recognition models for some time now? The issues come with commercialization, patents and what-not.

The stuff we buy on market, is like stuff developed 10-15 years ago. ;) Remember the Furbie voice recognition? That was like mid 90's!

If you're lucky, YouTube or television channels like the Science channel will run something on these new technologies. They're fun to watch. :)
I actually talk to my computer and it does talk back. Creepily enough, without the voice recognition or even a microphone for that matter. Well, the things it says only seem to line up with what I say about 2/3s of the time, but I think I may had triggered some unused feature of win7, by messing with the system files to change the boot screen. Its really...
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
author=Despite
shoot-shoot-SHOOT- I SAID SHOOT YOU FUCKING JHRFDKJTGFYHGIKUJHBKJHB PIECE OF SHIT TGFUITGJHTG GODDAMN PRUSSIAN MADE GARBAGE SHIT FUCKLKHGDCGF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No I'd rather not go through that.
Reminds me of the times Yosemite Sam told his horse/mule/dragon to stop by shouting "woah", to useless effect.
This goes back a few years, but there was a game called Lifeline for the PS2. I got it thinking it would be really cool to play a game just by talking. Two hours later I was screaming obscenities at the main character and wishing there was a joystick mode.
If my computer could learn to listen and talk back, it would not like me too much, for I swear too much in front of it. :(
Pages: first 12 next last