FINAL PARTY IN FINAL FANTASY IV

Pages: 1
FF4 is prolly my favorite Final Fantasy, and after reading the topics asking about final parties for FF5 and FF6, I thought it would be interesting to compare how different people played FF4. Please post below and share who you used to seal away the ultimate evil!

My party:
- Cecil (of course): Paladin
- Rosa: White Mage
- Rydia: Summoner
- Kain: Dragoon
- Edge: Ninja

I used Rosa to keep the party healthy while pounding away on Zeromus using Rydia's optional Bahamut summon. I started Edge with using Blink, then throwing the Butcher Knife I got from Yang's wife, then just pulling through all the extra leftover weapons I had. Cecil's less useful, he basically just attacked or healed when Rosa couldn't get it done, though I replayed the game on the DS where I gave Cecil the Draw Attacks and Brace abilities, so he just soaked up damage wherever possible. As for Kain- just Jumping, I guess. On the DS, I gave him the extra Darkness ability from Odin so he could beat the crap out of Zeromus. I also gave Kain the Phoenix ability in case Zeromus somehow killed the group, but I never had to use it...

What did YOU do for the final boss in FF4?

P.S. No cheating and using the GBA game. That version of the game is for posers >:(.
I never beat this for the SNES, and only recently bought it for the DS (I haven't even unwrapped it).

I barely remember the game!
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
I love that in any game where you use a Ninja, there is a point where you are invariably like "welp I ignored Throw for most of the game and then tossed everything I had in my inventory at this guy"
Cecil, Rydia, Kain, Palom and Porom. (Rosa would've been a better choice, I know, but I absolutely can't stand her >_>)
And while it's not asked here I beat the After Years with Ceodore, Luca, Rydia, Edge and Cecil.
I've only beaten the FF4 version, so it is obviously Cecil, Rosa, Kain, Rydia, and Edge or me.

I love that team so much that I may keep it again when I reach Zeromus in the PSP version.
Cecil

Everybody else died real quick. Kain lasted a while thanks to jumping but even he fell.

*edit*
Details! Thanks to how FF4 enemies are designed such that without abusing the wall glitch Rydia and an offensive Rosa will just provoke a bajillion counterattacks. As suck Rydia's a liability so she died and I didn't give a shit. Rosa healed for a while until she eventually died from apathy. Edge threw shit until he died because he has all the durability of a paper tissue and not worth trying to keep alive. Kain's jumping helped him last but like Rosa I didn't care of he died or not. Cecil with the Ragnarok and Adamant Armor (PS1 version where I had alarms and was young enough to blow an hour to get a pink tail) mostly soloed the fight. Regular attacks don't provoke counters and without anything else to blow cash on I had ~80 elixers. Hit hit elixer hit hit elixer until he died.

Another fun fact: Zeromus has no defined HP. He starts at 65k but when he starts getting low he'll fully recover behind the scenes once to by pass the 65k HP limit.
i never played the DS version i was unaware the GBa version was "for posers" Thanks for keeping me up to date.

I have to beat Zeromus because the first time i fought i got my ass handed to me in a high hat.

Which me mad and pout like a little boy so i havent touched until i am ready to sit down and train up to be able to withstand his sodomy.

But the setup i do have is Kain in the back row with rosa and Cecil which made him almost invincible with his already high defense, although edge is in the front but he is kind of a fruit, not in a gay way, he is just soft and bruises to the touch.

Throw everything i have, and just pound beat him like he ows me money with Bahamut,Jump, and attack considering that cecils white magic becomes completely useless at about the halfway point other esuna.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
My perfect team would be
Cecil(Of course...)
Palom
Porom
Rydia
Cid
Cecil, because ya know, you can't NOT have him so...
Palom and Porom because they are so amazing together, their White and Black magics are amazing combo!
Rydia, because I use her meteor and Bahamut summon to pwn Zeromus EG.
And Cid because he has a high attack and a lot of HP.
I killed EG the first time with one mega-elixir and this team.
I love them so much!
:D
Edit: Posers huh? Well, I could never stand handheld devices so... I never played it... But still really?
author=Adon237
Edit: Posers huh? Well, I could never stand handheld devices so... I never played it... But still really?

Hehe, I originally posted this in Welp! Welp! trying to be funny because SNES & DS versions require the party and the strategy I described above. I 'banned' the GBA version because it lets you finish the game with any characters you want that ever joined your party, sans Tellah and FuSoYa. The GBA version is actually very good, and interestingly it also has a different script than the DS version.

I think the GBA script is used in the new PSP version- which, I forgot, also allows you to make up your own party for the final dungeon. Also, I think I read that the PSP version includes the massive bonus dungeon from the GBA version that provides new weapons & equipment for those 'returning' characters. The bonus dungeon is also apparently a bunch of fun in at least some parts, like Cid's airship-flying segment.

BTW: I bought the first few episodes of the After-Birth (lawls) on Wii. I had fun with Ceodore + Kain's chapters, but Rydia's... I just couldn't stay interested, and I can't shake the feeling I get when playing TAY that it's just a crappy fan-fiction... arhhhgh. It's really interesting because FF4 is probably my favorite RPG that I keep returning to. I also bought the new PSP rerelease of the FF4 collection, but I stopped playing because I still think the DS version is the best version of the original game.

EDIT: Also, if anyone remembers, doesn't Zeromus automatically counter any of Rydia's summons with Flare or some other killer move, at least in the DS version? I basically made up that strategy from memory, so...
Rydia vs The Big Z is better used by throwing Flares than Bahamuts. Zeromus is a counter machine (this was FF4's way of trying to make any difficult enemy: Have it counter almost everything) and thanks to a glitch reflected magic will never provoke a counter attack. Put up a wall and bounce Flares around!

This also works against the Four Elementals fight. Changing form is a counter attack when their HP gets low. Set up and reflect Fire 3/Flares/Holy/Cure4s on the first Earth/Undead guy who is a total pushover and you'll curbstomp the entire fight in no time at almost no risk since the boss will never change forms into the next elemental.
author=GreatRedSpirit
Rydia vs The Big Z is better used by throwing Flares than Bahamuts. Zeromus is a counter machine (this was FF4's way of trying to make any difficult enemy: Have it counter almost everything) and thanks to a glitch reflected magic will never provoke a counter attack. Put up a wall and bounce Flares around!

This also works against the Four Elementals fight. Changing form is a counter attack when their HP gets low. Set up and reflect Fire 3/Flares/Holy/Cure4s on the first Earth/Undead guy who is a total pushover and you'll curbstomp the entire fight in no time at almost no risk since the boss will never change forms into the next elemental.

That's an awesome trick for the Four Elementals, haha, thank you! Do you know which versions that works for?

Also, thanks for the correction on Zeromus' countering policy... Yeah, I agree, the game does a lot of that auto-countering for creating difficulty out of nowhere. I actually prefer that over moves that reduce everyone's HP to 1- I'm thinking of Kefka's special move from *Round 4* of FF6, though I think Zeromus has something similar (at the very least, The Big Z is awfully good at killing the party without an insta-near-kill type of move).

EDIT: Just read your Cecil-soloing story. Sounds epic, I'd love to try that.
SNES copy at least, I'd assume the PS1 port has it too. I doubt any of the other versions have it unless they did a bad copy job of the battle engine code.

*edit*
The Big Z doesn't have any HP=1/instant kill attacks that I remember. Big Bang fucking hurts though and there isn't much you can do to mitigate the damage (stealing the Dark Matter actually doesn't do anything) and Rydia and Edge die from a stiff wind so it can make it appear Big Bang is a predecessor to Fallen Angel.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Since I've only played the SNES version, I don't have experience with having a choice.

However, I would have switched out Edge and subbed in Yang. Yeah Edge could do ungodly damage with throw, but I don't like "throw" mechanics and Yang was just a boss.
Pages: 1