4 HOUR GAME

Pages: first 123 next last
So RPGMaker.net is holding a 4h-gamemaking contest soon. Four hours is not a lot. So entrants can either use this as an excuse to make a half-assed rough game, or can take the challenge and try to make something worth playing in such little time.

If you fall under category 1, not ur topic.

If you're up for the challenge, let's share some ideas.

I guess thinking about it in advance doesn't defeat the whole point of time limiting. I mean, 4h is usually not enough to even think about what to do with a new project. I'm trying to keep a list of possible gameplay ideas and see how they would match the given theme. So 4h would be used just for coding. Maybe graphics. Or could they be prepared in advance?

What kind of game can be made in 4h anyway?
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
A joke game.
Back when I was writing the helpfile for RPGCrisis' Sim RPGMaker95 english release, I was asked to make a sample game. The site admin has all but abandoned everything related to the site, and I eventually deleted it. The resources were shuffled into my current project though.

I think I'll recreate it. It was a 5-chapter long Fire Emblem 6 fangame.
author=Dyhalto
Back when I was writing the helpfile for RPGCrisis' Sim RPGMaker95 english release, I was asked to make a sample game. The site admin has all but abandoned everything related to the site, and I eventually deleted it. The resources were shuffled into my current project though.

I think I'll recreate it. It was a 5-chapter long Fire Emblem 6 fangame.

A 5-chapter game in 4 hours? I hope I'm missing something here.

In FE, a "chapter" is only one map.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
1. Boss gauntlet
2. Single dungeon crawler
3. A single minigame
4. An interactive short story
Escape the room puzzle game.
A really, really good title screen.
A button mashing abs game is what I had in mind.

Well, one of the things I had in mind.

Wouldn't making your custom graphics beforehand be totally cheating?

Honestly I'd like to know the consensus on that.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
I'm going with a simple dungeon crawler, and boy do I mean simple. Well, to work I go!
author=rcholbert
Yes.

Thanks Holb. It's not so much I'd want to cheat, more I'd be gutted if I made a really crappy looking game or just a game with sub-par resources only to find that I could have spent time preliminary time making something shiny.

On the other hand there's nothing stopping people from *gathering* resources before the event begins though is there... hmmmmmm *eyes everyone up*
author=NewBlack
On the other hand there's nothing stopping people from *gathering* resources before the event begins though is there... hmmmmmm *eyes everyone up*

I don't think it should! I mean I remember people gather resources, music and, ideas for their game to be ready. The only thing that would disqualify them is that if they made a project of the game ahead of time
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Walking around a map with no graphics consistency and Merzbow playing in the background

4 hours? 15 minutes is all I need...
Kill Hippie was about a ten hour game. I wouldn't dare try to make a four hour game.
I first thought this was about making a game that would take approx 4 hours to play.
But since the pace of which players take with some games can heavily vary, maybe this seems more reasonable.
But still, you can't make much in 4 hours. I could just sit a long while on a game and not actually get anything done sometimes.
My first working version of Jousting was made in an evening (should be about four hours).

But for this four-hour thing, if I participate (which isn't entirely certain)...

I just checked my calendar and I'm not participating. That Friday I'm elsewhere the whole day.

BUT. If I had participated I had planned to use previously made graphics for other things and then just written a story to fit. Unless the rules were really strict about things I couldn't pull off (I can't think of any examples).

I had actually planned to use whatever assets I had in Blue 2 (including some coding for dialogue and general interface. Alternatively I would have stolen the inventory system from Assassination of Michael Gower) and see if I could come up with something fun in four hours.
Hmm, why not just a generic game, i.e. the likes of a cliché game?
For example, save a village from a dragon, etc.
The rules would be to select a cliché and make it as fun as possible, within the space of 4 hours. I find those contests fun, and a way to show off creativity. ^.^
DE
*click to edit*
I think the best genre for such an event would be an adventure game (at least for RPG Maker). You need little to no coding, few sprites, and you don't waste time on game balance or creating spell animations. The downside is that you need a strong plot and that's not easy to come up with in an hour or so. You don't even need an inventory system, just make the item use automatic or with a simple show choice system. Strong script is a must.

Make sure you have a database of useful resources prepared beforehand though; searching for bitmaps and midis mid-development will take too much time.

Games making fun of RPG cliches stopped being funny years ago, so don't expect to be able to make a good one in 4 hours.
Pages: first 123 next last