FINAL FANTASY XIV PATCH 1.18

Pages: 1
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/24/big-changes-and-one-bighorn-beast-afoot-in-final-fantasy-xiv/

Anyone play this game?

They sound pretty serious about "fixing" this game. New job system? Revamped battle system? I read some of the post, it seems they are (and have been) essentially re-building the game. They're ditching many of the originally advertised features, some in lieu of what was already in FFXI. They're taking away physical levels in favor of pure job levels (as in FFXI and other FF games). This pretty much cancels out of the central themes of the original design (a theme which saw its way into the game's official logo); that of assuming the role pertinent to whatever you're holding in your hand. Not that it was a fantastic idea in practice, but FFXIV's problems was so much about execution, and I'm not convinced the ideas were bad. But perhaps people complained and just wanted FFXI HD.

FFXIV was a beautiful game, what I played of it. I was actually excited to be playing an MMO with that scale, where characters were properly proportioned and every place seemed grand as opposed to WoW's cartoony appearance. But holy crap was the game unplayable. The battle system revamp would be most welcome, in my opinion, because what they had was so cryptic and utterly disconnected from the player that I thought hitting buttons on the action bars was akin to shouting suggestions to your character who would choose whether or not to listen. They're adding auto-attack back in, which is a no-brainer, but I hope they take this opportunity to increase the pace of the battles and give the player more skill choices to make instead of waiting for TP bars to fill up or chain-casting a spell like in FFXI.

I understand they made a number of significant changes to FFXI to make it far more playable than it was at release (I stopped before the third expansion came out and never looked back). I wonder how many revisions will be made before FFXIV becomes playable, if it's possible.

Do you think there's a point at which the game deserves another look, or have you written off the game completely out of principle?
I have written off Final Fantasy completely out of principle. It's been ten years waiting for some magic in the series. After FFX I have not experienced anything memorable. FFXIV is more of this style over substance.

Why these online Final Fantasies are part of the numbered series is beyond me. It doesn't seem right. As for the people who were not already jaded, Square-Enix should have gotten it right the first time.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Although it doesn't look good on me to say this, this video alone has caused me to all but write this game off. I'm not usually one to judge a game by someone else's "score", but that and my past experience with FFXI gives me means to reconsider taking a second glance at the game since my friend's brother played the beta.
Fair enough. This is a position Squenix deserves for suggesting people pay money for admitted trash. I'm sure many more feel the same.

Anyone out there willing to give the game a chance if a number of suitable improvements have been made?
Yeah... I pre-ordered this game and was extraordinarily disappointed. I rage quit within a matter of days. If the changes are that significant, I might try it out again.
If you already paid for it SE is waiving the monthly fee to play until it reaches "acceptable standards". I don't know if this patch is supposed to bring it to that point though, but it might be worth looking into at least.
author=Illustrious
I have written off Final Fantasy completely out of principle. It's been ten years waiting for some magic in the series. After FFX I have not experienced anything memorable. FFXIV is more of this style over substance.

I know I'm repeating myself from some earlier topic on FF13 or 14, but I feel the same way you do with the FF series. It's just disappointing. But- I still really love the earlier games, even up through 9, 10, or 12.

I'd personally love to try FF14 if it gets more positive reactions, especially since I never tried FF11. Except... I don't try starting MMOs anymore, I just feel like a guy never gets enough time for those.

Kinda-funny FF13 anecdote: I normally love the music from the FF series by Nobuo Uematsu, but I played Dissidia 012 a bit and realized I now have this knee-jerk reaction of cringing whenever I hear that stupid fairy-tale-sounding main theme from FF13. I can even wrap my head around Lightning being a likable, cool character ("Cloud with boobs"), but I just... I just can't make myself play that game... gaaaahhhh...
author=GreatRedSpirit
If you already paid for it SE is waiving the monthly fee to play until it reaches "acceptable standards".

I know. They were e-mailing me about it forever. I uninstalled it even if the free trial was extended. I didn't realize it was -still- extended, however. I thought it ended several months ago.

I was completely and totally disappointed with this game, and this coupled with FFXIII have effectively destroyed the "Final Fantasy" name to me now. When I see it, it's met with a groan rather than the excitement I used to have.

That being said, I paid for my copy, my girlfriend's copy, and my dad's copy... so I will absolutely jump back in to see if it's worth playing once they make all these changes if for nothing more than to simply get SOMETHING for my money.

Edit: Reading about the changes, I just can't help but shake that feeling of complete and total disappointment and disdain for this awful game. I think it's going to take an awful lot of work and game play videos to convince me to reinstall.
Pages: 1