RPG MAKER 2000 - STILL KICKING

WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
You are completely missing my point. I am not trying to argue game quality or game genres. My whole argument is that RM2k is old and not as capable as other engines that are equal in difficulty to use. Even RM2k3 is more capable than RM2k, hence the reason you see far more RM2k3 games.

I am not making an argument anything like you described above. Not only that, but your thing about communities wasn't anything like what you stated previously.

A more advanced engine will allow you to do MORE with the engine. Improved tools allow you to do the same things FASTER. These are the sort of benefits the newer engines allow.
And the point a lot of us are making is that we LIKE using what we have, and just because a newer version is available doesn't mean we should have to use it exclusively.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I never said you have to not like RM2k or stop using it. But as time keeps going, using RM2k becomes less and less of a viable option for something you can do faster and easier in a newer engine.

There are only three people in this thread that have RM2k games on this site. That's out of the 17 different people that have posted in here.

There are a lot of great game possibilities that will never see the light of day due to RM2k/3's limited abilities. They can limit a person's ability to express an idea or their story in the manner they want to. I don't see how that's fair to them when there is a large group actively refusing to use the software that allows them that.
You're missing the point Enker. WIP's not telling you to stop using the program.

RMXP and RMVX are technologically superior and capable of much more than RM2k. No longer takes weeks to make a shoddy CMS - now you can code it in quickly and efficiently without all the ridiculous back roads you need to take to make one in RM2k. You can do much more in terms of gameplay, graphics and sound. There's just nothing else to it. You can also get them legitimately as opposed to illegally, which is nice. And $60 is a damn good price considering how much time people blow on making their games.
Karsuman, I just can't take you seriously when your avatar is a sexy butt with a balloon tatooed on it.

I am eager to try RMVX, but haven't had the free time I know I'd want to invest in it yet.
Not to mention I still have a game to finish in RM2K3.
Out of any in the series, RM2K is the one with the best default battle system. And by best, I mean solid and properly working! VX's battles are the same, but is less flexible due to limits in equipment, spells, states, etc.

I think maybe we should have a topic outlining the pros and cons of each maker. Perhaps this would be useful for those just starting out!
RM2k/3 is illegal for one.

I admit back in the day I used to make games with it until XP. Yet when I got into the groove of things I noticed just how superior XP is. Graphic-wise, Audio, features, and you can do more things with XP. 2k/2k3 Just doesnt has the flair of XP.. and this is coming from an ex user of 2k3 of four or so years. I wasnt really doubtful of moving at all. With 2k/2k3 you're stuck with sprites with a lower quality, that looks a bit more pixelated than XP.

Rm2k RTP'd Map

Rmxp RTP'd Map.. with fogs.

Stunning simply stunning. Im not sure how people think evented systems are better on 2k than XP or VX.. and believe me I've seen some awesome JRPG evented systems.. but I also seen Scripted systems and trust me when I say, more capabilities. Pixelmovement, Mode 7, Isometric movement.. the sky is the limit with RGSS. You dont have to abandon your pirated 2k, but you dont have to go on a personal crusade and say that 2k is better because its been out longer.
If there was a way to import projects I just might switch, but alas...
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
That's like... the world's crappiest RM2k map ever made compared to an extremely well-made XP map.
Feel free to post a good rm2k map if you can find one.
Out of any in the series, RM2K is the one with the best default battle system. And by best, I mean solid and properly working! VX's battles are the same, but is less flexible due to limits in equipment, spells, states, etc.

This is highly debatable. I don't believe RM2K even allowed for common events to be used in battles. As for VX...there are a few scripts out that you can plop right in that restore pretty much all the old, lost database functions from rm2k/rm2k3/XP. Anyone can download these scripts and use them. You need no knowledge of coding to do this, either. Even a little bit of tweaking will make VX or XP more flexible than 2k.

author=kentona link=topic=858.msg12206#msg12206 date=1208387661
Karsuman, I just can't take you seriously when your avatar is a sexy butt with a balloon tatooed on it.

It's supposed to be asspear, but now that you mention it... :<
WIP
And yeah, if you haven't seen good 2k/3 screenshots, look harder.

While map design is hardly a thing I really look for in an rpgmaker game, I've seen better looking stuff in 2k/3 than XP on average.
Karsuman, I was only comparing default battle systems! No scripts attached.
But yes, you make a point, that RM2k doesn't allow common events. However, I think it makes up for it by actually working decently.
author=WIP link=topic=858.msg12220#msg12220 date=1208401758
http://www.rpgmaker.net/games/406/screenshots/1431/
Good screenshot.

You really are in love with that game aren't you WIP?
I for one actually own a real copy of RPG Maker 2000, it's just that using said original version would hardly work with most people, so I do most of my work in Don Miguel's version even so. :D;;
Thats not RTP at all but if thats the best Rm2k map.. then no comp between XP and 2k.. I've seen 3d isometric maps (XYZ plane) as well as high resolution scripts that takes two seconds to install.
WIP
Well if you want to throw down the gauntlet, I've made things in ika that absolutely demolish RMXP and RMVX.

As for the "3D" stuff done in RMXP, it's all cheap effects that aren't useful. Especially those shitty "Mode7" scripts.

That XP screenshot is full of simple to do effects that don't improve the map at all. It's just flashy stuff that doesn't make the map look better, but HARDER to see.
We're not talking about IKA we're talking about XP vs 2k/3 RTP.

I never said NOT once Mode 7, but mode 7 is a good script.