RELIGION AND THE AFTER-LIFE

Pages: first 123456 next last
I was wondering how many of you believe in an after-life, when you die do you think their is another realm of existence maybe as a spirit or some kind of re-incarnation? If so do you think religion is essential to go to this "better place" or do you believe death is just another phase into some higher dimension or it doesn't matter what you believe it's inevitable/meaningless. Whatever it is I want to know about it, what ever your beliefs or non-beliefs are feel free to share them...

Note: try not to turn this into a hate thread also I'll keep an open mind.
you go to Pittsburgh.

i believe that is what Hobbes prophesied to Calvin.

I believe we're entities living inside an entity that's far colossal than the universe.

As for after-life... we die and reborn again as another life-form or at really rare occasions, the same life-form without any trace of memories from our past-lives. Oh and the location of this happening would most likely be not in our current universe.

Just my thoughts.
I'm a Christian, but I'm far from a perfect one. Although, I tend to try and find my own reasoning along with faith. Articles such as This are what I prefer to read because it makes sense. (Although, one could argue what particular God(s) created it, but to each his own.)

I've said this in another topic and I'll say it here. I have found no flaws in Christianity, just flaws in those who represent it. It's often misinterpreted to be a message of judgement, but Christianity is SUPPOSED to be a message of love for everyone. It's very difficult to uphold that alone.
I don't believe in a heaven or hell. It just sounds to human made-up.
Closest thoughts would be a Cessation of Existence I suppose. We're thrown into existence like nothing and we'll leave like nothing.
The brain holds everything that is "you" after all. So what's left if you take the brain out from the equation?
I occasionally believe in Nangijala. Or some other place of high-adventure. I also occasionally believe that you "go where you believe you will go" and I'd like to go to a place of high-adventure. Maybe a place where I can travel between other places and generally have a sweet time.

Of course what I believe and what I know is most likely to happen are two very different things. There isn't really any afterlife.
i correct myself, when you die you go to lay saxophone for an all-girls cabaret in new Orleans.

THAT is what Hobbes prophesized to calvin.
I've never understood the concept of reincarnation. I don't remember any of my past lives, which means I won't remember this one. The person I am now will cease to exist when I die, and my soul will become someone else. That's the same thing as simply blinking into nonexistence. So what's the point?

Also, heaven as a concept sounds really boring. Limitless paradise for all time would get old after a while.

Edit: I don't really believe in anything supernatural. Nothing has ever happened to me to convince me such things exist, and I'm not the sort to expend belief in something needlessly.
I'm non-religious. The more I learn in grad school about biology and the history of mankind, the less sense believing in a heaven or hell makes.

One thing is for sure, though. We are energy. Energy fuels us. Energy does not dissipate...it changes. When you die, that energy is released. That's all.
I am a Christian - I believe that Jesus is Lord and that God raised him from the dead. Out of the acceptance of the sacrifice God made, and nothing else I do, I am ascending to Heaven.

I also believe that nobody lives without a god or gods of some kind, even atheists. That isn't to say that people believe in god(s) as I and my fellow Christians or other faith communities see it, or even worship the idea as the faith community at large does in their own way, but it simply means they have an overriding dominant idea within their life, the one thing they would throw everything else out to follow.
The thing that always humors is when people go on and on about god and Jesus and how Atheists are going to hell...yet these same people enjoy their computers, their medicines, etc...things created by Atheists. Fact of the matter is that our world as it is RIGHT NOW could not have been made possible without Atheists.
It also couldn't have been made possible without Christians, Muslims, Jews and a host of other religious people. Perhaps there's a message of tolerance and equality in there.
Re: afterlife I've been there and done that.

(Mass Effect 2 reference).
Computers have arguably brought more trouble into my life than they have convenience or enjoyment. It really bothers me how dependent we are as a society on computers.

Speaking of afterlife, if you read the Bible closely, the Jewish word for hell, "geyena", actually just refers to "death" rather than any sort of infernal dungeon where non-believers burn eternally. If God is a God of love, then he wouldn't want people to suffer eternally, it just wouldn't make sense anyhow. The only mention of hell in Catholic understanding is one of Jesus's parables, and the parable wasn't really about hell anyways.

I don't know about you guys, I like the idea of heaven. As a not-so optimistic person, the idea of eternal peace with all the people you love seems just great. Think of all the books in the library just waiting to be read, and who knows what else is in store? The human mind obviously can't comprehend the divine. If anything, I'll finally have enough time to work on and finish my RPGMaker game.

Edit: To answer your question, I think religion is necessary to move onto a higher plane. Why? Because, frankly, humans suck. There needs to be some sort of transformation (probably by a higher power) for them to do so. Even if you aren't Christian, that concept seems simple and logical enough.
i believe in reincarnation but not in individual souls; every consciousness comes from and returns to the "sea of egos" or what have you

i don't believe in any deities, but i don't call myself an atheist. i always feel kind of off calling myself an agnostic, but that's what i usually go with. agnosticism to me implies belief that it's impossible to know, but i don't think that's necessarily true. similarly, i feel like atheism implies rejection of any possibility, but to me it seems ignorant to outright reject it

i also think religion is a bad thing but not necessarily that religious people are bad (oh boy i can't wait until someone gets offended)
"There is an invisible man, living in the sky.

He watches everything that everybody does, and he has a list of things he does not want you to do.

If you do any of these things, he has a place under the ground full of fire and and torture and suffering where he will send you to cry and suffer and be tortured forever and ever until the end of time.

...but he loves you.

and he NEEDS MONEY!

all powerful all knowing,

can't seem to handle money."

-George Carlin-

I always thought religious and political topics were taboo on most forums, but I guess everyone is lax on this one.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
author=Illustrious
I always thought religious and political topics were taboo on most forums, but I guess everyone is lax on this one.

I cringed when I first saw the topic but it hasn't made me want to ban anyone yet.
As mentioned in the 05/21 'rapture' thread, I am a Christian - as such, I'd have to say that Studio Zytharros has pretty much summed up my own base views on the issue at hand.

@Ubermax:
May I ask why you consider the concept of heaven to be boring?

@Kindredz:
Yes, atheists have done many remarkable things in the development of technology. However, I would submit that the very underlying worldview of modern science stems from the Judeo-Christian outlook: A world, which was created by a single deity instead of the playground of multiple spirits, and therefore inherently consistent, and knowable because of this.

@Saya:
Would you please provide a reference for your point regarding the term 'geyena'? I'll admit I'm no expert on the Hebrew language, but I was under the impression that the term for death - as a concept, rather than a point-in-time action - was 'Sheol'. Everything I've heard about 'Gehenna', which would seem to be what you are referring to, indicates it was another name for the valley of Hinnom outside of Jerusalem - a site noted variously as: the site of pagan sacrifices by, among others, some of the Jewish kings; a burial place which may have included the Potter's Field bought with Judas' blood money; the Jerusalem trash heap/incinerator.

@Cho:
Working off of what's probably a slightly different definition here, but would it surprise you to know that there are Christians who hold the same belief as your last sentance? The ultimate focus of the Christian faith isn't about a religion, but about a relationship, that between God the Father and those he has called to himself - the term 'sons of God' is used several times in the New Testament to describe Christians.

@rcholbert:
I recognize I've put in a lot of text, most of it in response to other people's comments. I do not believe I have put in anything others might find offensive, but if you do, or if others call it such, I request that you strip my post from the thread rather than allowing the thread to be closed. Thank you.
Pages: first 123456 next last