MOST IMPORTANT

Pages: first 12 next last
What is the most important thing to you when you play a game: Story, Graphics, Gameplay, Add-ons, or Music

What I mean by:
Graphics is, is the game nice to look at.
Gameplay is things such as are battles balanced, are battles entertaining, if the game is action or puzzle does if feel like you are playing an action or puzzle game
Add-ons are just things that weren't in the game before like scripts, tile-sets, and sprites, etc...

I was just curious to think what most people think is most important.
To me the most important is story, but gameplay is very close behind.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Don't ask people what they want to see. Some pretty bad design decisions have been made in trying to cater to too many tastes. Ask instead who you want to build for, your "target audience" per say, then make decisions based on that.

For reference purposes, perhaps you should give a read of this article to help make that decision?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
@Marrend: He didn't say he was trying to make a decision about his game, he said he thought story was most important and wondered how common that was compared to other schools of thought. C'mon. Take the question at face value.

To me, gameplay trumps everything, and story is still extremely important. Graphics and sound are utterly trivial to the point that I actually still play (and run) MUDs, which are purely text-based online RPGs. However, I'm making an effort to do the graphics somewhat more decently on my new project, at least to the extent that I have the skill to easily do so.

I'm not sure what "add-ons" really means, since all your examples of add-ons are additions to either graphics or gameplay.
author=Fallen-Griever
What is the most important thing to you when you play a game: Story, Graphics, Gameplay, Add-ons, or Music

video game
you apparently don't need the monitor/tv? lol
Everything is better with pirates.
it is not a good game unless helpless imaginary girls are shackled into humiliating sexploitation for my chauvinistic viewing pleasure.

on a serious note. a combination of everything. graphics actually can do with out.
plenty of people still play Legend of Zelda and look at those graphics(compared to now)
author=Cosmic_Sea
a combination of everything. graphics actually can do with out.
plenty of people still play Legend of Zelda and look at those graphics(compared to now)

old graphics and sound effects have very nostalgic charm, i would not call Legend of Zelda "without graphics"
I only really need one part of the game to be worthwhile, then the other parts only need to be good enough to keep me going. I've played games with shitty gameplay and great stories and thoroughly enjoyed them(I mean I play visual novels), and games with great gameplay and a very weak story(Pokemon). I can't say I've ever played a game for the graphics, but they still go towards the appeal of a game and ultimately whether I enjoy it or not.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
@Lockez: I read the OP as "I have ideas, but what do you guys think I should concentrate on most?" not as "I think these factors are important. Who else thinks that way?"

Mistakes happen.
atmosphere
no hard difficulty
innovativeness
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I personally think gameplay is the most important (as a teenager, I might have said "story", but I've outgrown that) but I believe that regardless of what people are telling you, the consensus is that games are a visual medium and people around here value aesthetics very, very much.

Of course, there is (obvious) truth to the argument that you need everything.
I'm not sure what is the right word to use, but I guess what I value the most is "Execution" or perhaps is "Presentation"? ...Dunno, but what I mean is the way in which everything is put together, even if the game doesn't excel in any area. That really shows the author put some thought behind the game and not only wanted to get things done. And in consequence the time I spent playing it feels well worth it, and I know the feedback I could possibly give will be heard.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Story and dialogue, which is(should be) pretty much the same thing, but i'm very sensitive to graphics, and boring battles kill a game
Everything you put into the game is important.

LockeZ, what MUDs to you play? The only MUD I'm really familiar with is DizzyMud
Pages: first 12 next last