BETTER THAN PAINT

Pages: first 12 next last
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
So, I've been enjoying my brand spankin' new computer and getting used to the subtle differences between Windows XP and Windows 7. But there's one program I just can't stand in it...

The new Paint sucks.

I suppose it was barely passing before anyway, but now it's almost unbearable to work in. So if you please, would you recommend me something better? I'd mostly be using it for basic sprite creation/editing; nothing too serious business. I'd also prefer (read: require) that it be free. Which program(s) have worked best for you?
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Yep Paint.net is the best :) (Freeware anyways :D)
Paint.NET is amazing for "as close as you're gonna get to high-end image manipulation without paying for it/piracy"

For spriting I'd suggest downloading GraphicsGale Free Edition and possibly even iDraw chara maker (you can easily find both by googling them) and using them all in conjunction, they're all good for different aspects of making graphics for games and such.
halibabica
I suppose I should mention that my new compé is strictly offline*, rendering any program that requires the internet null. I can download things to move to it, but otherwise, no dice.

*at this point in time
paint.NET isn't online. It's just called that because it was developed on the Microsoft .NET framework, or something like that.
Forget paint.NET for spriting :/
It's like an alternative photoshop. xD
Very nice, but... GraphicsGale is the real deal. ♥
Seriously. Download and get used to the program. It's like a magic wand.
halibabica
Well, I gave paint.net a try, and I can see why you've recommended it so strongly. However, it seems really difficult to select darker colors. The wheel only has the lighter spectrum. I'm fairly sure I'm just missing something really intuitive, like maybe a keyboard shortcut, but if there isn't a function that makes it more bearable, I'm gonna need something else!

Even so, it still beats the $h!+ out of what I was using.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=halibabica
However, it seems really difficult to select darker colors. The wheel only has the lighter spectrum.

use the "More>>" option on the palette and move these bad boys around

halibabica
Eeeeeugh, that's what I was afraid of. If that's the only way to pick darker colors, I think something else might be better suited to my needs.
Versalia
author=halibabica
Eeeeeugh, that's what I was afraid of. If that's the only way to pick darker colors, I think something else might be better suited to my needs.

Well, what exactly do you need? IMO it's pretty simple to slide a single bar up and down through every possible lightness/darkness of the currently-selected color. It is like one click more than sliding your cursor around a giant color chart
halibabica
I dunno, I just don't like that the wheel's selection method wipes out half the spectrum. It makes it tough to pick a dark color individually, because you have to pick its lighter counterpart first. You can't browse the wheel in the darker spectrum because clicking it automatically brings it to lighter. It seems like it could stand to be less tedious.
Versalia
author=halibabica
I dunno, I just don't like that the wheel's selection method wipes out half the spectrum. It makes it tough to pick a dark color individually, because you have to pick its lighter counterpart first. You can't browse the wheel in the darker spectrum because clicking it automatically brings it to lighter. It seems like it could stand to be less tedious.

b-but the dark versions are all ... to the left of what I circled... under the color wheel... for you to click on..

edit: not talking down to you but yeah, I would not use the word "tedious" here. click 'dark blue' and slide the v-bar up/down. definitely not ideal but also not tedious

edit edit:
author=Miracle
Actually, if you bring the 'v' value to about the darkness that you want, you can slide the 'h' bar to the color that you want ^^ It's not so bad :>

Miracle is more clever than me
Actually, if you bring the 'v' value to about the darkness that you want, you can slide the 'h' bar to the color that you want ^^ It's not so bad :>

EDIT -- I forgot to mention that I was exactly the way you were and hated the fact that I couldn't select a darker tone from the color wheel, but I find that the HSV bars are a lot more precise and less frustrating than keying in values by hand ^^
halibabica
*looks*

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, okay, that makes things a bit more bearable. It's not ideal imo, but I can work with that.
it stands for Hue, Saturation and Value.
Versalia
author=geodude
halp how do u use colour wheel

cool story bro didnt have enough condescension toward people asking for help thx that should do it
i think you missed that hali and i are friends and i am ribbing him accordingly

it's interesting that you thought wading in with your size 12s and your own condescension was the best way of dealing with this
halibabica

Too many PRICES AND VALUES

EDIT:
from geodude
hali and i are friends
Wait, when did that happen?

Thanks for your help, peoples! I think I'm good to go!
Pages: first 12 next last