ISOMETRIC MAPS: IS IT REALLY WORTH IT?

Pages: 1

I've heard about some rpg maker games that use isometric maps along with an 8 way movement script and an "*octagon" sprite script *to allow the use of 4 by 8 sprites
like this:

If you want this script yourself here's a link to rpg revolution where I got it, I'm not sure but I think you have to be a member to view this page:
8 way and Octagon sprite script

But the reason I made this thread was to ask if its really worth all the time to make isometric sprites as well as heavily edit/create isometric maps

Rpg maker is originally for 2d mapping, the tile-sets will be very difficult to get right in the 2d map style ( i.e their not diagonal for isometric mapping unless theirs some fancy script that takes care of this as well ).
Also their might be a reason why I don't see so many isometric rpg maker games around, could it be that the majority of people prefer 2d style rpg's or is it just that not many developers/designers can handle this style.

(-_-)
I'm really spectacle about this, I've created a custom sprite template which is semi-proportional and I am really contemplating weather or not I should add more realism to the entire game with isometric mapping e.t.c of if I should keep it 2d.

Here is how my female sprite template looks like
Warning its naked.

Would you prefer this kind of sprite in an isometric game or would you prefer it in a normal 2d game?

Edit: Also if you know any isometric rpg maker games please link them for me so I can analyse them.

Incase you dont know what I'm talking about here is how an isometric map should look in rpg maker XP.

here is what I should design the map from

the problem is that this would this is very complex to get perfect, if you look at the image above it has to be so that the map is in perfect diagonal reach of the boxes used to edit maps in rpg maker, if its even a pixel off at some point the entire map would look jagged and irregular.

Then they are the tile settings which could get complex, if the a map chip is not centered to a box the tile settings could get ocward.

Is their anyone who has at least some remote knowledge on isometric mapping, any free software that could be essential, any help at all? Please don't just view this topic and leave my dry. I really need an answer before I get into this.
Never mind, I found a topic about this that answered my question.
I found this to be an interesting discussion. >:
Uhm, I don't like "isometric" games. I find games that use isometry pretty... ugly. In exception of tactical games. I really like much more games like Mana, wich has got 8 direction walking, coompletely eliminates the 16pix blocks and is roam-free. I mean, you can't see a damn tile there. And you can walk pixel by pixel if you wish. And in diagonals. I find this to be way better than isometric, wich just feels plain blocky.
Also, btw, you can always use mode7 for a little 3D effect.
If you have 8directional pixel movement, there is no need for isometry. You could use it just as a base. Imo.
i Like them, but not for general use. For example i am using this map for an extra mode of my game:

For me, it looks good, but i dont think is a good idea to make everything on that style, thats why ia m using this perspective on only 1 map
It does look nice. :]
I can't call it Isometric, though. Isometric is the angle that makes a textureless 3D cube, only formed by lines, to have all the lines by the same size.

http://web.vtc.edu/mec/1011/fall_04/electronic_notebooks/t2/cmorgan/assign_1/iso_cube_view.jpg

Try to think of it as a cube, not as an hexagon.

Well, and I think that plain top down cities do look rather boring (read: Sailor Moon : Another Story's city) and a little angled buildings help a bit.

Edit: when I did my first post I just thought of natural envoirments, not of cities. When an envoirment is completelly symmetrical, empty and... boring (as most cities are, and if yours isn't you must have a pretty crazy urbanist) different angles really help. Still, isometric feels odd to me in this case. I'd rather prefer an mother-y angle for it. Such as the above screen.
Pages: 1