I MADE A SHIELD (EMBLEM)!

Pages: 1
I am also a humongous nerd, as you'll see shortly.

So for one of my fourth year projects, I needed to draft up a shield design and have it machined. The shield dimensions are specified, but we're allowed to choose what to put on the front as an engraving.

I chose this loveable fella here:

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Frost

So first we had to model it in CAD.

Here's what it looks like once all the magic is done.

Simulation of the shield looks okay. Time to machine!

So we're just starting out here and already there's a small mountain of metal chips and scraps.

You can see the outline of the shield taking form here. Note, I screwed up and didn't make my pocketing toolpath big enough, and as a result, it left that edge jutting out the side. Gah!

It gets machined off anyways so it's not really a problem. It's just bad for the tool to take off that much metal in one go.

And here's Jack Frost in all his metallic glory! I'll probably lose a few marks for poor choice of toolpaths but it's okay. The power of Jack Frost will more than make up for the marks that I need.
Wow... that is pretty amazing. What are you majoring in?
:o

neok you are radical. what are the dimensions on that thing
author=zaeran
Wow... that is pretty amazing. What are you majoring in?

Thanks :). I'm doing Mechanical Engineering. It's a lot of work, as expected.

author=mellytan
:o

neok you are radical. what are the dimensions on that thing

3.5 x 4.5 x 1 inches. It's a little bigger than a closed cellphone, so no I won't be guarding against ice attacks with it anytime soon.
That's cool. Access to one of those machines would be handy for cosplay
http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/32/locker/Machining3.jpg <- Looks a lot like brazillian carnival.

Nevertheless...

...I WANT A CHOCOBO SHIELD BUCKLER ;A; (oh but they're wooden)
This is just so awesome, you know. 9_9
Nice nice nice...Im just curious how you were able to mill that character, because ussually when programming milling machines,well programs we use, you only have perfect lines,circles and geometrical stuff or by any chance did you did it manually? What CAD program are you using and what kind of material is it?

author=JosephSeraph
...I WANT A CHOCOBO SHIELD BUCKLER ;A; (oh but they're wooden)
This is just so awesome, you know. 9_9

Damnit, now I know what I should've done! Chocobo emblem would've been so awesome ;_;

author=Bonehead11
Nice nice nice...Im just curious how you were able to mill that character, because ussually when programming milling machines,well programs we use, you only have perfect lines,circles and geometrical stuff or by any chance did you did it manually? What CAD program are you using and what kind of material is it?

We're using MasterCAM. I actually used a third party program (Raster to Vector) to turn that Jack Frost graphic into a vector drawing that could be imported into MasterCAM. After that, it's just cleaning up the lines, adding the text and border, and making it presentable. Oh, and the material's 2024 T3 aluminium. It's not too heavy, so I'll probably use it as a fancy paperweight once it's been graded.
(Does the shield work on preventing 'Future Riots?' Because if so, I'll take two. :D)

This is really neat! I guess you'll be considering becoming a blacksmith when you get out of collage? Either way, I like it, Neok. :D
Pages: 1