[VX] AUDIO NO LONGER FUNCTIONING

Pages: 1
kitten2021
Returning from RMVX Death
OK, I have imported some MIDI's to my game the appropriate way, ad they worked. However, I got into the maker today after having them in there for two days (and working both days) to find that all audio - including the midi's - no longer working in my RPG Maker. Does anyone know what would cause this?

BTW, I get audio with everything else on my machine, so its not my computer causing this issue...
kitten2021
OK, just imported a brand new MP3 to see what the difference would be; I'm getting audio from it but still not from the midi's.
is your SW Synth volume muted? (in Windows, I mean)
kitten2021
No, I checked that; even rebooted my machine and nothing fixed it.
Odd thing is, it didn't start until just 6/25/2011; my sounds/music had been working just fine until then. I haven't installed any new updates to the engine either to cause a compatibility issue or anything.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
Did you add or edit any scripts in that time? There are scripts that deal with audio.

edit: Also, make new projects, and check to make sure this problem is not specific to the game you were working on. If it's the entire program, back up your work and reinstall.
kitten2021
I made my own script, I didn't edit any;my script doesn't deal with audio though, its just a simple font changing script. (Can post it here for you encase you need to check it)

I made a new project, even went back to my old projects and their audio seems to be working just fine.
Maybe it's the MIDI files themselves? Copy them into a working-music project and try to use them in it and see what happens!

Worst Case Scenario: Convert the MIDI into MP3/OGG
kitten2021
author=GreatRedSpirit
Convert the MIDI into MP3/OGG

How does one do this?
Here's how I do it with Winamp and Audacity:

1) Open Winamp->Preferences (Ctrl+P), go to Output and select the Disk Writer output plugin. Playing a music file with this output plugin will make Winamp dump everything it would play into a *.wav file. Configure it and set it's output path so you know where the output wav file will go. Turn off loop/repeat so it only makes the wav file once.

2) Open your MIDI file in Winamp. Winamp won't play anything but it'll fly through the file in two seconds and stop. Change the Winamp output plugin to what it was before so it won't try to make another wav file. Find and open the output wav file and make sure there weren't any issues. Congrats! You have converted your *.midi file into a wav, the intermediate step!

3) Open the wav file in Audacity. Do a File->Export. I think the default is MP3 with an option for OGG (which is a better format and supported by RM VXP). MP3/OGGs can be big files so it's probably worth dropping the bitrate which will drop its file size. Unfortunately I don't remember where this setting is offhand, I think when you are Export->selectign a file name to save as there's an Options button you can click on to change the bitrate. Make a few copies of the file with different bitrates and put the one that both sounds good and has a low bitrate in your game.
Pages: 1