THE FEATURED GAME THREAD

Agreed. 90% of games (more?) never get completed. I think it's best to save the honor for something that is in a finished state, rather than something half-done that may never get completed, good or not.
It just feels wrong featuring a work-in-progress when there are plenty completed stuff that is equally good.
The game in question is even cancelled and won't ever get completed. So yeah, glad something else got featured.
I thought we only feature complete games?
And IIRC Ara Fell was never completed.
I'm pretty sure kentona specifically said not that long ago that one of the criteria is that the game is completed.
I wonder... if we could get the game released as a team project (ask BadLuck first), could the story be brought to a conclusion?

Because I always wanted to finish that game.
fyi, I wasn't advocating featuring Ara Fell. There are still lots of completed games to draw from and, like SnowOwl said, the honor should be reserved for completed.
I just wanted to point out it's influence and show some fan love <3
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
Wasn't Ara Fell already shown as a Classic in RMN homepage? I wouldn't think a game being completed would be required for that.
Oh, now we talk about Ara Fell.

As much as I would love for this game to get featured, Sated & SnowOwl are right. Even though Ara Fell is a household classic and is generally accepted as one, it was supposed to be one part of a multiple part series that never did see the light of day. It's like an episodic game that only had one episode of it completed and the rest of them are still in the works. (kind of like why we couldn't feature "I Miss The Sunrise" until it was fully completed some time later)

Anyways, whatever, there are a lot of great games that don't get the opportunity to get featured for some reason or another, same as there are plenty of all-star players that don't manage to make it into the hall of fame.

author=bulmabriefs144
I wonder... if we could get the game released as a team project (ask BadLuck first), could the story be brought to a conclusion?

Because I always wanted to finish that game.

No one is capable of handling the series other than James "The Legendary" Radluck himself.

We are but "pawn scum" to him.
author=Link_2112
I'm pretty sure kentona specifically said not that long ago that one of the criteria is that the game is completed.
Yes, that was a relatively recent criteria - though it is kind of loose. And yes, I consider "Canceled" to be a kind of completed. Especially back when there was a paucity of good completed games... though now there seems to be enough good new completed games that we probably won't need to feature an older classic canceled game.

With regards to Ara Fell, this does not mean it is ineligible, it's just that if there are completed games worth featuring, they'd be featured first.
author=kentona
With regards to Ara Fell, this does not mean it is ineligible.

sbethune81
I don't have a growth mindset...yet.
I recently signed up with game jolt, and I noticed they have a fairly quick turnaround on their featured games (every few days if I'm not mistaken). I thought it might be a good idea to find a balance between that and the full month feature of RMN...maybe 2 weeks like the classic/gem/etc. features.

My assumption is that the majority of the people who download and play the featured games do so in the first couple weeks of the feature, though this is probably more true of registered/active users.

I just figured shorter feature, more featured games. And I like to believe there are more than 12 games a year deserving of the honor. From browsing this thread it seems like there are usually a handful of suggestions each month, and as long as that continues, the level of quality would still be maintained. Thoughts?
I rotate the gamespots every 2 weeks on alternating weeks.

EDIT:
I only visit Gamejolt once a month-ish. To me, it seems like their rotation is very quick, giving the impression that the games aren't really worth the time (because if they are there for only a few days, they can't be that impressive). Secondly, they have a larger proportion of "arcade" style games, that can be completed in like an hour. Typically, the games here take 5, 10, 15+ hours to complete.
sbethune81
I don't have a growth mindset...yet.
Thanks for the quick response. I was referring specifically to the monthly feature.
Do you ever feature a completed fan game of a certain series?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=agfonzer
Do you ever feature a completed fan game of a certain series?

Within the first three pages, I'm seeing, like, six games that could be called fan-games.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
The Drop just came out. It's good so far.
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
Yeah, I agree with LC. That other one doesn't need more promotion ...
author=edchuy
Yeah, I agree with LC. That other one doesn't need more promotion ...

Sure it does. ^^

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Corfaisus
~ You know you want to. ~

No you don't. The game is a ridiculous romp with a lack of depth, let alone focus in its game mechanics. Sure it makes you laugh, and the pixel art is good, but featuring this game would be like putting up Are Pee Gee Maykur on the front page. If you want to feature a game like Pom, Melon Journey or Very Retrouville are much better options.

Anyway, I'm fine with the Drop. It doesn't seem too bad even though the last rouge-like I played in RPG Maker left we with painful memories.