THE FEATURED GAME THREAD

Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
author=kentona
On Sunday RMN had 4556 active users visit.
how much of that is people getting bored of RMN, opening a new tab, and going to RMN?
Repeat visits. I'm asking if it takes into account repeat visits.
If we feature more than one game a month, then they stop being Featured Games :\ Gamespot already showcases ~4 completed games a month.

author=Pancaek
Personally I don't think it matters that much either way. The majority of people that come in are just looking for free games to play, and don't really care about the community aspects.

Yeah, pretty much that.

Also, in Discord there's been some talk of how the Front page is a clusterfuck. There's too much stuff packed close together, the Buzzing category is effectively broken, and all the Screenshots are discarded way to the bottom when they should be the site's #1 eye catchers.
Have there been any plans for a re-design in the near future?
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Yeah, all the stuff at the bottom should be at the top. And we should probably do away with Buzzing games, because again, broken. At the very least give other games a chance and knock off the already HUGE games that everyone in the world knows about and comes to get just that Lisa game or w/e
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

But whose the person who decides what goes into the buzzing section or not? When has a game met so much popularity that it shouldn't be there? I can think of 1 game, that was there for like the better part of a year, that definitely didn't need to be there due to the downloads it was getting from some YouTube hotshot. But other than that it would be hard to come up with a metric when we don't really understand how the current metric works.
InfectionFiles
Check out the front page more then, if you can't name more than one game that dominates the Buzzing section.

No one decides, it's based on page views, downloads and comments.
SunflowerGames

I sort of know what it's based on, but the exact formula has never been revealed. Perhaps a time limit would be better. 14 days for every 60 day period. But its probably too hard to code stuff like that in. The only other method to remove the said games would be manually, which would inject user bias.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I don't think the formula for how buzz is generated will ever be revealed, to be honest. I'm think it depletes as well, but, I don't know by how much it depletes, or how often. This, too, is something that will probably never be revealed.

For what it's worth, I think it's possible for kentona or Liberty to set a game's buzzing value? If I recall correctly, with Pom Gets Wi-fi, I'm almost positive there was a post about how that game's buzz was set to zero. However, it still showed up in the #1 slot because it was receiving a huge huge number of page-views and/or downloads at the time. It's since cooled off, of course, but, that's, like, the best example I can think of.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
If the formula for buzzing were revealed, users would inevitably try to exploit it, so I'm fine with it being inscrutable. Buzz is supposed to deteriorate over time, but maybe the rate could be increased somehow. Like, lowering exponentially until the game is back to zero (like Toxic in Pokémon).
SunflowerGames

Exploiting it just requires someone to make multiple user accounts. Then post multiple times talking to themselves and subscribe. Someone actually did that a year or two ago. Their page was in buzzing for weeks before the mods caught them. I don't know how else you would exploit it besides breaking RMN rules.
I can reduce the amount of buzz a game gets and do so now and then to bump it back to 0, but they usually are back up at the top again the next day. Pom stayed up there legitimately forever.
Just put perma-buzzing games in their own "Hall of Fame" section. Problem solved.
SunflowerGames

Can you use negative variables, this is a RPG Maker forum :)
author=InfectionFiles
Yeah, all the stuff at the bottom should be at the top. And we should probably do away with Buzzing games, because again, broken.

This tbh

The front page should just be the site news ticker thing, random screenshots and random games. There's no need for 99.99% of it to even be there. It's especially busted that the staff gives out picture of the moment and stuff and then tosses it to the very bottom of a 3 screen tall page, where no man will ever tread, making it entirely worthless besides a small tick up for MS.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I like buzzing being where it is.
Even if we can't all agree to dump it altogether, can we at least try moving it to the bottom of the four groups? Seeing as most unique visitors are looking for games to play (and we all want our games played), it makes sense to put Latest Downloads and Highly Rated at the top, in that order, with New & Notable following (though you could argue for Buzzing being third).
InfectionFiles
That's something I'm cool with!
Dyluck
For thousands of years, I laid dormant. Who has disturbed my slumber?
I disagree with that. That would just encourage people to put up a separate new Download for every little change/update. Highly Rated near the top also means some games will never get a chance to be there.

I like Buzzing Games where it is now. Even though I don't like that some games always end up back there, it's still the only category that gives a legitimate opportunity for every game to be there sometimes, without direct interference from the creator.
InfectionFiles
More often than not though the New/Notable, Latest Download and the Buzzing Games share the same games. This is more true for New/Noteable and Latest Download.

The thing about Buzzing Games is you get the exact same result if not better because it isn't full of the same games but just by going to the Games tab. There all new updates, comments etc get shown for the respective game in a longer list.

I feel more of what isn't instantly visible on the front page should be.

Even the Featured Game shares the front page with other site news and could be easily missed. I think the Featured Game needs to be prominent more than anything else.

I mean, it's completely understandable why that happens - a game goes into New and Notable when it's added to the site. There it garners some attention since it's a neat or interesting looking game. Then a download is added for the interesting/cool game. Then people download and talk about the game.

It's working as intended - showing off the interesting new games that are on the site and letting them get some time in the sun over older games that have been around forever. That's what it's supposed to do.

That said, we've looked at a few different visual changes to the front page. One thing we came up with was something like this:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/301093365183807499/411092555975884810/unknown.png
Where it'd be a bit like Steam with scrolling images (like we have with the featured bar) and title tabs allowing you to click through the different parts.
Lotta space for anything at all here