RMN NOOBIE

Pages: 1
Hello everyone, my gaming name is Vianoce. I've been using it for a gamer tag for years and now I use it as my develeper name. I started out using RMXP, but I traded down to RM2K3, because I kinda like it. Although I still enjoy working on my RMXP project when I have the time. I really have not been developing games long at all so I would say my mapping needs a lot of work, but all things in time. I don't have as much time as I would like to work on my project(s) as I would like, but I try to add a little as often as I can. I enjoy female lead characters and I'm aiming for a good story though I am still putting a lot of thought into what direction I want to take.

With my introduction aside I would like to talk a little about my current project. I am currectly using RM2K3 for my current Project. The title is Kunoichi Maya, and the setting is pretty basic I think. The ear is set in the mist of war that has lasted for who knows how long. The main villian is not thought up yet, but I have an antagonist currently developed. I call him Nightmare and he shows up in dugeons that have ties to him. When he shows up, you don't see him at first but the map changes to a bloody version of itself. Currently the game starts off with the main character, a young kunoichi named Maya who was sent on her first infiltration mission. She sneaks into a town on the outskirts of a castle under the cover of nightfal, and its rainning. She enters the town and looks for a way to infiltrate to castle, and gets captured in the process. That is as far as I've gotten so far. I mostly use the RTP with some edits, but I also use resources that have been posted by others on other RM community sites. Some of my maps I am proud of and others I will most likely end up scrapping for better versions of them.

I have some ideas for my game, but the one I like the most is my idea for how you meet your allies. I got the idea from my days playing ChronoCross for the PS1. Basicly you gain your allies based on the choices you make during conversation events. I will also take it a step further to make it so that some allies will betray you based on choices you make during later conversations. events will alter based on the characters in your party, or no longer become active if event specific character(s) are missiong, either because of being dead, leaving, or turning agenst you. I feel a game like this will have some replay value, even for me. Maybe I'll even given the game alternite endings based on ket choices. i wouldn't doubt that such ideas have been used before. I havent read anything like this anywhere though so I think once its done it will be worth playing to some degree. Keep in mind I'm new to making games. Also this is the first project I have committed to.
Since I want this to be worded nicely I'll just say:

Thanks for coming to RMN, but ideally you need to introduce yourself in the appropriate sub-forum, and more importantly the forums aren't here for you to talk about your game. There are game pages for that.

Other than that, try to enjoy your stay and you can at least get involved by posting in the screenshot thread or anywhere else you feel your ideas can be contributed.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
Moving to introductions. Welcome to rpgmaker.net!
I apologize for posting in the wrong thread. I saw it say game discussion and did not read the rest. Wont happen again.
Heh, no worries. Welcome to RMN! Its not often that people move from XP to 2k3 (so far as I know).
Hello Kenton,
I can understand why few people trade down though. The freedom you get from scripting in XP is awesome. The only thing I do not like about 2k3 is that I can't copy and paste from not pad. It would be awesome to write out an event script then just copy and paste it into the event. I've read about upgrades for 2K3 but I really don't understand them. I tried to using RM2k9 but I couldn't get it to work. I believe I have the wrong version of 2K3 and I don't know how to check.
I have an XP project that I played around with some scripts with. I have a lot of showdows from light sources and reflections in mirrors and water. I don't know about the shadows, but some reflections might be possible. One could adapt the mapping concept to pull this off with 2K3's chipset. By making a mirror w/ walls on both bottom and upper layers, but the bottom layer would have the full mirror look to it while the upper layer would have the glass removed and transparent. Say the mirror is two blocks wide then you would need four touch events infront of the mirror is two rows, and a blank event named reflection. 2K3 is limited by only having two layers, but this can be worked around. Instead of using the same sprite for the reflection the reflecting sprite can be edited to only show a portion of the sprite when you walk away from the mirror. Because the few is from above when the hero walks away you would only see the lower half, half the legs or even the just the feet. This would be determined by the size of the mirror, so you may need more sprites for each mirror size. I believe a catipiller system can be adapted to control the reflection(s) of the hero(es). This may not be possible but it would be awesome to see this pulled off in 2K3. The same concept can be applied with water except without the need for editing chipsets. The water trick I think might be easier because in theory all you would need is two rows of touch events to turn on and off the reflection switch, and upside down sprite sets. By setting the reflecting sprite to be transparate the effect will look some what like a reflection.
Welcome, bro. Please make us some very good games, and enjoy your time here at RMN: where the Real Men Like To Network. :D
Thanks for the welcome, sweet avatar lol.
Pages: 1