WALK, DON'T RUN...

Pages: 1
So I was trolling around some discussions about games, and one or two of them decided to toss in a one-time Hero Speed Down at the beginning. This made it so the character doesn't sprint around the screen like a kid on a sugar high, but it could make exploring maps really obnoxious.

Thoughts on making people slow down a bit?
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
If you were to ask everyone what their top ten RPG Maker pet peeves are, I guarantee "slow walk speed" would be on just about everyone's list.
RM has a weird spot for walk speeds: It's either really fast or really slow. The source of the problem is each moving step is double/half speed and only two/three walk speeds are ever used out of... eight?

I personally prefer moving fast than slow. If I want to sit and stare at something I can stop moving. Moving slowly just makes me bored waiting to get to game content.

(the best choice is to base walk speed on the area the player has to cover, interactivity with the area, and atmosphere)
Slow moving is okay until you have to backtrack. I don't want to crawl to the inn. I need a f---ing heal and I need it now.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Slow walk speed + random encounters is a nightmare, so that's something to consider too.

But like GRS said, maybe base walking speed on the area the player is in, although they might find it odd that they have become slower all of a sudden.

Slow walk speed usually doesn't end well with the user base, but maybe you can implement as along as it's logical to the story and setting at the time.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Simply put, press shift to walk, not run. Run should always be default. There is absolutely no reason to have slow walk speed in a game except for story/puzzle/gimmick reasons.
I made a gameboy-esque game and the walk speed was set to -1. All the maps were built around it. Some people complained, but I get the feeling it was because they were just programmed to complain about the slower walk speed. If you maps are normal or large, slow walk speed is death. All of my maps were small (I made them smaller, subsequent to the complaints) and so the slow walk speed is still getting you places. It's all in the balance!
I believe a slow walking speed is excusable. But my default answer is no-no.
I'm going to force everyone to walk just so my game seems longer.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
It depends on the genre of game and size of the maps. If your game has small maps, especially if it's a survival horror or adventure game, I'd actually really APPRECIATE a slower (not too slow) walk speed, particularly if the maps have good atmosphere as you traverse them.

But for games where you're going to have to take lots of steps...yeah, you want a reasonably high walk speed. As everyone is saying.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Its very rare but once or twice, i'm thinking for one about Starless Umbra the slow speed really worked (you could run if you wanted)
Yeah, come to think of it, when has anyone really said "I want to crawl through this dungeon more slowly."
Now I'm trying to think of why this would be useful ever.

Edit: in a classical rpg, excepting atmospheric jobbers
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Walking only really needs to be an option when there's environmental hazards, such as damage floors or other traps. I suppose indoors is appropriate; I've been frustrated more than once by my inability to park my character in a tile next to some shopkeeper.

(You know what I'm talking about; when you always step two tiles, directly passed the NPC, no matter how quickly you tap that damn arrow key.)

e: My actual point: In all cases, run needs to be the default. Slow me down by one notch when I enter a building, and speed me back up when I leave.
i did slow walking speed. i'll never do it again.
author=Fallen-Griever
Slow walk speed is bad. Forcing me to hold down shift to run is worse.

Yeah, I remember a few games doing this for the run command, and that's pretty much when I usually give up playing the game, always seeing that stupid 'Sticky Key' menu during gameplay, then coming back to see that the music plays very strangely...

I don't know why people choose to have slower walk speed... Perhaps it works for games that have very small maps or not a lot of random encounters, because it's really painful to play a game with slow walk speed.

But then again, FF4 has slow walk speeds and I love it! Maybe it's just the mapping and massive amounts of battle encounters that break it for me? I dunno.
I was making a Sonic game where speed is optional, so for you people who wanted to go through quickly, you could. But then I find sometimes it still a pain, and I've got a feeling it speeds up the battles too. As well as optional running is hard enough to use unless your use to it, example: You add 5 double my speed events for your character, but when you turn them off, what do you do do, slow down half your speed by 5 nooooo!!! I think it would be safer to say to take it down 2.
So just don't do it! Would you rather run or walk, to me, as long as the storyline is cool and the gameplay works with your speed, then I'm cool. Just don't do this: Don't make your character as fast as Sonic or literally as slow as a Snail, you just don't do that!
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Yeah, slow walking in dungeons can be a pain, but make sure you have a option so you can run though, so it doesn't delay any hours of gameplay. But the only excuse for slow walking in dungeons or any part of game is fighting enemies. Though it would get annoying if you slow walked, and kept getting attacked by enemies, depending on if the enemy is shown in-game and not just a random encounter.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I hate walking slowly irl and in game.
Pages: 1