UPLOADING MORE THAN A 200 MB SIZED GAME TO RMN!

Pages: first 12 next last
(Not that I am, but I'm just curious...)

I know that throughout my many travels here on RMN, I have yet to find a game hosted that is bigger than 200 MB's of memory. I know for some people that file size really isn't a important deal as long as the game looks decent enough; but I have always wondered: Does RMN allow to upload a game bigger than 200 MB's on the site?

I was wondering this...because I have a game in development that is clocking into the 300+ MB's spectrum -- and mostly likely will climb higher even with Molebox reducing the size and Audacity compacting all the MP3‘s down next to nothing.

So, yeah...can it be done? ^^

EDIT: It's a pretty massive game that I have been working since the beginning of this year.
I think I remember bigger games. That chainsaw massacre game had an original download of... more than 300MB, I think.
The server will timeout for anything over 150mb
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
author=ankylo
The server will timeout for anything over 150mb
So no more than 150? That's horrid. Cant thou change that to 175?
If it's so hueg, you should consider actually getting webspace just to host the file on FTP somewhere.
Adon237
author=WolfCoder
If it's so hueg, you should consider actually getting webspace just to host the file on FTP somewhere.

True. But 174MB isn't that bad is it?
i would suggest removing the thousands of kingdom hearts mp3s you probably have stashed in your 10 minute demo
Adon237
author=Darken
i would suggest removing the thousands of kingdom hearts mp3s you probably have stashed in your 10 minute demo
I do not have any Kingdom Hearts music. And my demo won't be only 10 minutes. :|
Well, what game's soundtrack on MP3 do you have in there?
Adon237
author=kentona
Well, what game's soundtrack on MP3 do you have in there?
Where in the heck do you people get the idea that it's music that is taking up space?
The audio on my game takes 30 MB of space. That's it.
Adon237
Believe it or not, Animations take up the most space on my game, with 75MB
author=Adon237
Where in the heck do you people get the idea that it's music that is taking up space? The audio on my game takes 30 MB of space. That's it.

Because MP3s are known as currently the #1 thing that make an rpgmaker game large. Sometimes inflating the game's size to over 4 times what it would have been if smaller musical files (mainly midis) were used.
Adon237
author=Illustrious
author=Adon237
Where in the heck do you people get the idea that it's music that is taking up space? The audio on my game takes 30 MB of space. That's it.
Because MP3s are known as currently the #1 thing that make an rpgmaker game large. Sometimes inflating the game's size to over 4 times what it would have been if smaller musical files (mainly midis) were used.

I have only 3 MP3 files. The rest are MIDI's.
author=WolfCoder

Probably a better idea. Despite its big size, I really want to keep all the 200 MP's and the few movie clips... It's a pretty big game, so yeah, hosting it somewhere else might be for the best. :D
Upload your game to MegaUpload, then link it to your game's download page.

MegaUpload will keep your file for years as long as it gets downloaded every once in awhile and nobody reports it as illegal/copyrighted.

You can also try MediaFire, but if you do, you better register for a free account and upload your game to your account's folder--I've noticed MediaFire tends to delete files that are uploaded to "account-less" links fairly soon, after only a few months.

Avoid RapidShare, Hotfile, DepositFiles, FileSonic, and the rest--those links usually don't last as long.
And if you want to use mp3s, you should make sure they're encoded down to 128kbps or lower using Audacity. 128kbps is about as low as I can get old school games to compress before they begin to degrade too much and the file isn't hueg.

There's also ffmpeg for compressing and transcoding (link below is for windows):
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
but you'll have to write a .bat file and use the command line (not too hard).
Yeah, I use Audacity to lower my MP3's to as low as they can go.

And, I guess if I ever do decide to put up "Stock Ticker, "or anything that is over 200 MB's+ of memory, I'll use Megauploads.

Thanks for the replies. I guess this can go in the trash, now.
Even easier, use LameDropXPd to reencode to 128 or 96 kbps mp3's.
http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lamedrop.php

First configure LameDrop, then drag-and-drop mp3 to get wav file, then drag and drop wav file to get 128/96 kbps mp3.

For RMVX games, use OggDropXPd to reencode to ogg (better quality + smaller size):
http://www.rarewares.org/ogg-oggdropxpd.php

Works the same way as LameDrop, but for Ogg, set the quality to 4.00 to get the equivalent of 128 kbps.

Although RMXP is compatible with ogg files, unlike RMVX it does not stream them as it plays them, thus for larger/longer playing ogg files, there may be a delay while the file is being loaded, before it starts playing. You might need to experiment to see if ogg is an acceptable option for your RMXP games.

As for video transcoding, MediaCoder gives decent results and is real easy to use (even comes with ffmpeg as one of the encoders you can select for eligible formats)
http://www.mediacoderhq.com/

There's also MeGUI but it's not as user-friendly (anymore) IMO:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megui/

All of these are freeware, btw.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=Brent
I know that throughout my many travels here on RMN, I have yet to find a game hosted that is bigger than 200 MB's of memory.

My FPS game is not even 15 percent completed and already the compiled folder hits around 230 MB (must be the damned shaders and graphics..)

At least the installer package is around 40 :p
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
It seems to me that RM games are low quality enough already without having to reduce the sound quality too. So hosting a file on megaupload is probably a good plan once you get above the allowed filesize on RMN.

But RM is buggy and won't let you change an existing download from being hosted on RM to being hosted offsite. So if you add something to your game and it causes it to go above 150 MB, you have to delete the old download and make a new one, which I believe zeroes out your number of recorded downloads. Which is kinda awful.

I guess you can always use winrar to split it into multiple files. That's probably what I'd do.
Pages: first 12 next last