GREATEST GAMES YOU'VE PLAYED

Pages: first prev 123 last
what you can't aim? you're being awfully vague...
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I'm really not into commercial games, but I must say Half Life 1 & 2, are the nicest things I saw , in that field, on a computer, quality of graphics speaking in particular. Surprised they rarely come up here ?!
author=chana
I'm really not into commercial games, but I must say Half Life 1 & 2, are the nicest things I saw , in that field, on a computer, quality of graphics speaking in particular. Surprised they rarely come up here ?!

I've never played Half-Life. I know I should but... I'll do that later.
Half-life 1 may have aged too much to be enjoyable any more, but Half-life 2 is still worth playing imo. It was (I think?) the game that set the trend for story-telling that almost never takes control away from the player. That is, you can still be interacting with the game while story is being unfolded. Which is one thing that Western developers do better than the Japanese. I suppose cut-scenes have their place, but if you can tell your story effectively without having to use cut-scenes, don't.
It was also the first FPS to have any realistic context. FPSes before that had POWER UPs and rotating guns that hover above glowing platforms. Half Life sort of took it to the next level by being more logical, having med kits in first aid cabinets, guns in a security office, levels being seamlessly integrated, etc. It's both a good thing and a bad thing I find, as many modern games are now held up to realistic standards.
I'm surprised that I hadn't mentioned any games from this series!
Metal Gear!
An amazing game, story lines, characters, concepts, gameplay, I love this series.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
I liked Team Fortress 2 alot, I bought it during 2009. Even though many think it just got shitty because how everyone wants hats and such (thus earning the name "war-themed hat simulator")
You can pretty much avoid that by not dwelling in trade servers.
Half Life and its sequel was awesome too, especially HL2's setting and story was very nice.

And as for RPGs, I loved Final Fantasy IX and VI. Too bad that in VI, I was playing it with my Gameboy Advance SP, I was stuck ever in Vargas boss battle. I had no idea how to do the blitz thing. Years after my Gameboy Advance SP was lost, I searched around in internet and figured out on how to do the blitz thing. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU-
Tetris. Best storyline, gameplay, graphics and music.
All the Final Fantasy's
Personal Favourites are
FFV
FFVI
FFVII
FFVIII
FFX
FFXII
Portal 1
Portal 2
Dragon Age: Origins
Oblivion
Morriwind
Spore
Thats all i can think of at the moment. I have got more. Just cant think.

Well for me, greatest commercial games I've played probably are:

- the 3rd generation Pokemon games (when I'm younger at that time),
- Final Fantasy VI (Loved the Storyline)
- Final Fantasy VII (Liked it. Not as much as VI though)
- Final Fantasy X
- Fire Emblem (loved this tactical game :))

I've played others like FF8, 4, 9 and 3, and Golden Sun, though can't say they're my personal favorites.
I don't think anyone got my joke... But anyway for real this time, the greatest game that I've ever played is probably FF 7. I'm not just being another FF 7 fan-boy when I say this but it was a really good game and the first rpg that I ever played. It's the game that got me into rpgs, before I played this, the only games that I ever considered playing were just platformers like Mario and Sonic.

I still play these types of games and there's nothing wrong with them, I just play a larger variety of games now. I just can't get myself into shooters because I just suck at them.
Suikoden II for me. Until I'd played it through I hadn't really played too many RPGs that I connected with. I mean, sure Breath of Fire II is one of my all-time favourites and I love the characters but the story and characters, music and gameplay were nothing compared to Suikoden II.

Also, Terranigma. It's got great gameplay and story and I really enjoy playing it over and over again.

Super Mario World - It has to be one of the most iconic games ever and it's so easy to pick up after any amount of time and just play. They really hit the nail on the head with both catchy music, ease of play and challenge. And no matter hoe many times you die, you just suck it up and play again. It never ceases to amuse. (Also, multiplayer for added fun!)
Erynden
Gamers don't die, they respawn.
Heavy Rain, to me, is the greatest game I have ever played. It is the only game that has ever gotten me so into that I never wish to part with it and has high replay value for me. I want to go back and play it right now.
ZOMG, not a Breath of Fire game?!?!
Pages: first prev 123 last