CHAPTERS OF THE CHOSEN, AND JAPAN GETS DQ5 THIS SUMMER (UPDATE: SO DO WE ON SEPT. 16TH)

Yeah, I still don't know who Dan is. Kinda looks like Ryu from Street Fighter.
author=kentona link=topic=915.msg12497#msg12497 date=1208562565
Yeah, I still don't know who Dan is. Kinda looks like Ryu from Street Fighter.

Dan is a joke character from the Street Fighter series (specifically Street Fighter Alpha 1-3 or however many they made). He has all the same moves as Ken and Ryu, except they are worse -- they either move more slowly, do less damage, or both. Curiously, his fireball will go destroy and go through Ken and Ryu's fireballs, but it travels more slowly and only halfway across the screen so it still suck. Note that Ken and Ryu have red and white robes respectively, while Dan is stuck with the a very unintimidating pink. Where Akuma is the same as Ken and Ryu but a lot better (Akuma is always banned at tournaments because he is basically a cheat code), Dan is the same as them but much worse.

Dan's signatures is that he has more taunts than any other character. I forget the exact number, but he usually has more than 10 in each game where most characters only have one or two. Also, his super move is a taunt. Most characters do something awesome with their super move; not so with Dan. His super move is that he goes into a mode where every button you press triggers a different taunt maneuver. The idea is that you can craft your own 10-second long custom taunt.

Dan is a fan favorite because the more you play Street Fighter the more you realize he's completely worthless and consequently hilarious. People that are ridiculously good at Street Fighter will play as Dan because if you can manage to beat a decent player using Dan you have serious bragging rights. It's a really humiliating experience to put someone through, especially if you can manage to pull of his Super Taunt move without dying because of it (you of course are wide open when executing a taunt).

Note that there is no benefit to using a taunt in Street Fighter -- it doesn't charge up any gauges or anything the way that taunts do in some games. It's an intentionally wasteful move to piss off your opponent (it's part of the arcade culture and sort of like talking trash through the video game).

Dan hasn't been confirmed for Street Fighter 4 so a lot of fans are really worried that he won't make it in. Thus I suggested him for the ultimate petition.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
author=kentona link=topic=915.msg12297#msg12297 date=1208467168
Who's Dan?

A beefcake version of Fei Fong Wong.
Looks like Square-Enix registered "Hand of the Heavenly Bride" with the US Patent Office. That is essentially the subtitle of Dragon Quest V!
It's not any sort of confirmation (seeing as they did the same with Chrono Break back in the day), but it is a promising sign in light of the DQIV news.
I know this is exciting but does anybody else think it's really ridiculous that the games media pays careful attention to all submissions to the US Patent Office so they can report petty drivel like this?
I think it's less the games media and more certain people in the games media. The patent for DQV and the patent for DQIV were both initially reported by Siliconera. I've never bothered paying attention before, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're generally the ones to notice all the game patents.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
This pretty much confirms it. I can't wait to play this game. I've held off playing the fan translation in hope we would get an official one.
What system is this for, again?
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
...kentona.

Why the Hell do you not have a DS?

-Etrian Odyssey
-FF3
-Eventual DQ

Goodness. Don't get groceries for a month and buy a DS!
Oh? So then Dragon Quest IV DS and Dragon Quest V DS both are coming over here, and in english? Ha ha. Awesome! I have some games to look forward to, anyway. I can't really find any DS games that I would like to buy, currently.
author=yamata no orochi link=topic=915.msg13806#msg13806 date=1209660697
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7672551&style=games

If this is to be believed, Dragon Quest IV DS is coming out on August 27, 2008.

HUZZAH

God that is way too long man I seriously can't wait for this stupid game.
...You could play it on your NES...
WIP
Already played it there.
"Buy the Nintendo DS! Your NES and SNES remake headquarters!"

So, other than Dragon Quest IV being awesome in it's own right, why would one want to play it again if they already have beaten it several times back in the day?
author=kentona link=topic=915.msg13811#msg13811 date=1209661817
So, other than Dragon Quest IV being awesome in it's own right, why would one want to play it again if they already have beaten it several times back in the day?

Aside from the obvious upgrades (graphics, script) there is added content and, more importantly, the significant game-breaking flaw of AI-exclusive party members has been been corrected. You now have control over your party!

Also I can play it on the can.

Besides, if I want to replay an old classic, why not replay it in an enhanced form?
WIP
You might not realize that a lot of earlier games are not as polished as modern ones, kentona. Not all remakes improve upon the earlier versions, but DQ4 seems to be one that does (as stated above).
I kind of liked the AI-team-thing. It was different. Mara liked Explodet, as I recall.

author=brandonabley link=topic=915.msg13812#msg13812 date=1209661996
Besides, if I want to replay an old classic, why not replay it in an enhanced form?
$$$

EDIT:
To elaborate, I love the old school type of game, and would be much happier (and much more willing to shell out money) if they used the engine to build a new game out of it, instead of rehashing an old game.