BEST VIDEO GAMES YOU'VE PLAYED THIS YEAR

Pages: 1
A related topic to "Worst Video games you've played this year".

What awesome games have you played so far this year? What games have you played that have surprised you and exceeded your expectations?

For me so far it's been Rock Band, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Rock Band blew me away in how much fun it is to play, since I never before played a rhythm game and didn't have any interest in playing one. (It turns out I still have no rhythm, but it's still fun).

Brawl is more fun than I expected, but only because I probably wasn't expecting as much as some of the fans of Melee. I never really played Melee, so a lot of Brawl is new to me. I am still very disappointed that there is no Megaman. :'(
Advanced Wars Days of Ruin
I liked the storyline a lot and it managed to keep the battle system fresh with new units and getting rid of that unbalanced Dual Strike thing from the other AW DS game. Online rocks too with downloadable maps and some excellent FC matches.

Mario Kart Wii
I got this game purely based on my likening to the SNES version. I never played the Gamecube or N64 versions but I did play MKDS. While I love the online multiplayer, the offline was a bit of a disappointment but this game was certainly the best Wii game I've played so far. The wheel just proved to be too annoying and the Nunchuck/Remote configuration proved to be a better control method. Just ordered the Classic controller so I'll see how it plays with that.

Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
This game was fricking HARD. I mean I couldn't even get used to the touchscreen so I sucked quite bad. The storyline was not that bad but it wasn't anything really original. Before I played this game I played Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 and while they were admittedly harder, I was glad NG DS was easier to play. There's also two or three more difficulty modes which I dare not play.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Puzzle solving at it greatest. I liked the whole story plot, it blended in well with the different puzzles and I hope the sequel is as good if not better.
Ogre Battle 64
Yes, I still own my N64. As for the game, no explanation needed.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Brawl is my current favorite game of the year. I haven't really played many games, though.

Speaking of Professor Layton, this is one of my favorite Penny Arcade comics: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/2/13/
Devil May Cry 4. This game wins by so far that it's silly. If you like video games at all you owe it to yourself to try DMC 4!

Lost Odyssey is pretty good too.
Brawl would have been my favorite, but I expected too much, and on oneplayer or even twoplayer, it gets really boring after the Subspace Emissary.
author=Rathcrosse link=topic=916.msg12292#msg12292 date=1208466854
Brawl would have been my favorite, but I expected too much,

HOLY SHIT ARE YOU CLAIMING THAT SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL WAS OVERHYPED

author=tsimehC link=topic=916.msg12281#msg12281 date=1208462923
Advanced Wars Days of Ruin

ARGH THERE IS NO D IN THE WORD "ADVANCE"

GOD YOU GUYS PISS ME OFF
Lost Odyssey, Mario Kart wii and Brawl would have to be the best games i've played this year.

P.S. What is a contributor? I just noticed.
author=WIP link=topic=916.msg12290#msg12290 date=1208466479
Speaking of Professor Layton, this is one of my favorite Penny Arcade comics: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/2/13/

Haha! That's awesome!

@bradonabley, I did that on purpose to make someone mad. Really...
Lost Odyssey is the best Final Fantasy ever made, IMO. Anyone with a 360 who likes jRPGs should get it ASAP.

Off the top of my head, other games I've liked a lot so far this year were:
Apollo Justice
Professor Layton and the Mysterious Village
Mana Khemia
No More Heroes
Super Smash Bros Brawl
(Though I suck royally at this)

I played BioShock and Mass Effect this year and both of those were pretty amazing. Super Smash Brothers Brawl is a lot of fun, even with its lagtastic online play. I'm also enjoying Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII a whole lot. I really can't pick a favorite out of all the games I've played this year.
Okami so far. And I suppose FFXII. To be fair to other games, I haven't played many this year. In fact, I think those two are about it, really.

Okami would probably still be on top of the list anyway. It's just great like that. ^.^
The Orange Box: Ok, its really five games, but still Half life 2 and its episodes are something that can never be overhyped. and portal is a fun challenge as well.

Jade Empire SE: I like Bioware. A lot. I could go on and on about it, but just leave it at this; Various martial Arts styles, character creation, fast and furious action, and a deep storyline with choices.

Yes , I realize that these were released like last year, but i dint get to play them until this year, so....
Pages: 1