DECREASING LAG IN VX GAMES

Pages: 1
I understood pretty well all the things that cause lag in Rm2k3. But as I've continued to work on my project in VX, things have been getting slower and slower and I'm not familiar enough to know what's causing it. It's strange: it'll run at a fine pace until it start stuttering for 3 or 4 seconds, then everything accelerates back to the way it should be. This happens every 20 seconds or so. It's bearable for development, but I would never publish something like this.

It could be that my computer is just 5 years old and it's to be expected. Anyone with ideas? I'm thinking it's script-related, I'm using several custom ones including Yanfly's Melody. My computer runs the Melody demo smoothly.
Are you using an anti-lag script? That might not solve your problem as I have experienced lag with that script but it'll help!
Yep, Anaryu's Antilag. It's probably doing something but it still seems pretty bogged down.
What kind of maps is it happening on? Is it only on maps or in other places like the menu or battles?
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Your computer might just be fucked and you might have to spend far more money than you can afford buying a new one with ostentatiously better capabilities.

That's what it was in my case. I'm being completely serious, by the way. Check out the thread I posted about this phenomenon if you're curious. I tried everything under the sun, but only switching to a newer and more powerful computer helped. Of course, sounds like you've still got months left of functionality in your machine...gradually the periods of lag will get longer and longer and worse and worse. At least that's what happened to me.
Not so much in the menu, mostly walking around the maps and in battle. In both situations, same jumpy lag and then it accelerates back to normal for a period. But yeah, the Melody demo runs just fine, so I'm inclined to think some scripts are mucking it up.

Max, you may be right, but it does bother me that people playing my game might have the same experience.

chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
If their computer's not good enough (my case, I don'even play vx on it, much too bad!) they will.
Melkino
solos collectors on purpose
Have you tried commenting out your scripts? Something might be refreshing so much that it slows down the game. Parallel process common events can slow down the game as well.
You could try defragging your project with Defraggler, but I dunno how effective that'd be...
K-hos
whoa You guys are hi-chaining without me? That's just not right. :<
I'll just throw this out there; It could be unrelated to rpgmaker, for instance having a javascript heavy page open in your internet browser could cause cpu spikes which would translate into lag spikes on a continuously refreshing program such as rpgmaker.

So maybe open task manager and see if anythings cpu usage spikes as the game lags, or even if rpgmakers cpu usage spikes when it lags.

Probably not the reason though.
Is said game flooded with light/shadow/fog/particles or combination of all?
Best first step is have a couple others try to duplicate the lag.

If they can't it may just be your computer - if they can, time to investigate (usually by stripping out whole scripts one at a time.)
Complex XP and VX games put a serious strain on your CPU. I was able to run Crysis at better FPS than Deadly Sin 2. Then I changed my power options from Power-saver to Balanced. I had a 40 FPS increase on most XP/VX games. If you have Windows, check for Power Options under Control Panel. For me the difference was night and day.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=physhal
I was able to run Crysis at better FPS than Deadly Sin 2.

:(

I need to use a different computer to mak gams. This one never experiences VX lag.
Right now, this is happening on a map I've made for testing purposes. So there are lighting and weather effects, some moving events, but nothing crazier than I would hope to put together in practice.

Thanks for some great suggestions here. I'll sit down, see what helps, and report back.
events on the screen stack lag. fast. try a fresh project, no scripts, no events.
author=Max McGee
Your computer might just be fucked and you might have to spend far more money than you can afford buying a new one with ostentatiously better capabilities.

That's what it was in my case. I'm being completely serious, by the way. Check out the thread I posted about this phenomenon if you're curious. I tried everything under the sun, but only switching to a newer and more powerful computer helped. Of course, sounds like you've still got months left of functionality in your machine...gradually the periods of lag will get longer and longer and worse and worse. At least that's what happened to me.

Same happened here. I got a great computer off craigslist for $100 though. <1 year old Lenovo laptop with Dual Core processor with 2.55 GHz, 4 gig ram, 500 gig hd. Just keep your eye on craigslist. Alot of stupid deals on there but occasionally there will be a great deal.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
author=Drakonais
Yep, Anaryu's Antilag. It's probably doing something but it still seems pretty bogged down.

KGC's anti-lag script has been good for me.
It keeps it at a steady 60 for me. (VX)
Pages: 1