SCANNING FUNCTION

Pages: 1
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
Does RPG Maker 2K3 have a default 'Scan' function so I can have a spell that will let my characters scan monster's hp, and maybe even have it show what the monster is strong against, and also what it is weak against?
Nope. You can have a "scan" ability, but it would need to turn on a switch to activate a battle event. In that battle event, you'd have to manually write in HP values and weaknesses.
Thiamor
I knew I'd have to for weaknesses, but that is kind of BS on their half for not having a scan function implemented since it was one of the biggest things in rpg games. Well certain ones.

Another question. Am I able to AT ALL using events, able to open up the main menu and/ or the save menu during battle? That is a function I'm trying to work with, where you can heal in the main menu during the REAL tough fights, and also save fights so you don't have to start over.
Why not simply heal during battles and ask the player if he wants to save right before a boss battle starts?
Thiamor
Well I want the ability to have anywhere. This is going to be the main hook in the game. To be able to save anywhere, and to Open up the menu during fights, if either is possible during battles on 2K3 at all, anyway.
I'm not sure if saving during fights would be appealing to much players. That feature would be useful only if fights are very, very long, to the point of being boring I believe. I just don't see the point of such a feature.
You can already save anywhere if you enable saving in maps' properties.

As for the menu I can't say if its possible: I don't have RM2k3 on this computer so I can't have a look at it. But I doubt it's possible with the actual command choices during battles.
Thiamor
Well most boss fights are super long. The main aspect of it, is so it can be saved during fights so if the computer dies, or you have to go, you can save it where you're at, and not have to worry about it.

The Menu thing also would come in handy, due to adding sort of strategies to it. Like switching weapons, accessories and such, to change your magic and skills so when you click back over, you have new stuff to work with. It also would allow you to heal all of your characters if you need the extra time. So does anyone else know if I can do this in RPG MAKER 2003? I really need to know. If so, this game will be a very tough game, but interesting.

Pretty sure I could in XP, but I'm using 2003 right now.
You can not open a menu during combat in rm2k3. You can, however, make choices boxes if you wanted to allow them to be able to do some menu stuff, like heal or change equipment but it would be a hassle to implement.
I also agree that saving during a battle is unnecessary and might even do more harm than good to the player. If a battle is so long that you have to walk away and take a break, there may be something wrong with game balance. I recommend keeping both of these things out of the game, although a system to change accessories during battle does seem appealing.

As for scanning, there are three ways I can think of to do it.
If you turn on a switch like "Switch0001:Using Scan" and make a page in the battle commands activated by the switch, that's where you'll put monsters info and such (Track monster stats with variables) and make sure you turn the switch off after the commands have run. Then, you can make a spell in the database that switches it on when used.

However, if you wanted the person doing the scanning to have a specialized class with skill subsets (Like a thief being unable to use the white magic he learned earlier in the game) Rm2k3 doesn't let make skills that turn on switches that are also within skills subsets, so what I do is I have various spells of different types (White Scan, black Scan, etc) have a spell that turns heroes into a one turn long status effect (Called Scan) that restores MP (Because scan isn't always useful, I thought I'd let it heal you a bit, too) and then a 1x turn check on the first page of the monster group's battle events. Then, IF Hero is condition "Scan" then remove condition scan turn on switch0001:Using Scan.

The last way I can think to do this involves using a special command "Attack, Defend, Scan, Item, Run" and then do a check that says "If hero uses scan, then turn on switch0001:Using Scan." I do not recommend this method.
Pages: 1