BOSS IDEAS, ANYONE?

Pages: 1
I'm making a super epic boss battle
Can you think of extra ideas for boss battles?
For example, crates that when you break give you special items to help defeat the boss
The boss has many forms which he can transform into.
He can also call for help and heal himself.
You must break all his crystals first before you can do any damage to him, because his crystals make him invincible.

Any ideas like that?

:)

EDIT:
More ideas:
You can loot a bomb from the crate if you're lucky and place it to deal huge amount of damage, but you must stay away from the bomb otherwise you die.

To reach the boss area you must get pass some guards using a box, really sneaky

You also need to finish 15 puzzles before you can have 100% to the final boss door

The place where the boss is has a virus in it, so you must use a special elixir every few minutes to keep yourself from the virus poison

You can't come close to the suicide bombers, if they see you they will follow you and explode right in your face and you get GAME OVER

To get to the boss base you must steal a helicopter and drop by the woods far away to make no noise!

The boss can shoot spectral powers that when you touch it slows down time for you, and makes the boss a lot faster.

The boss can summon 2 body guards, fire and water, in order to kill the fire guard you must make the water guard shoot the fire guard by accident, then you kill the water guard using electricity

Sometimes the crates will release bad things, for example it can be turned into a walking bomb (robot), and you have to run away from it.

When you defeat the last boss, you must not let him escape, otherwise he will get to his massive robot and it will be almost impossible to defeat him

Player 2 must help Player 1 in order to defeat the boss, they have to stick together and deal group attacks!
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Sounds like you have a lot of ideas already. Sounds hard.
author=Adon237
Sounds like you have a lot of ideas already. Sounds hard.

Hehe, thanks for the reply :O

I'm gonna check this thread a lot to see what ideas people have
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Most of these ideas are fine, but I've a few bones to pick with some of them. Most notibly:

He can also call for help and heal himself.

I guess it depends on how much is healed, but if the boss restores, say, half it's health, we're talking more of an "annoying" battle than an "epic" one. Then again, this idea is something players hate as a general rule.

You must break all his crystals first before you can do any damage to him, because his crystals make him invincible.

Not that this kind of boss has never been seen before, but I've not seen it implemented in an RPG Maker game. There is also the problem of how it can be implemented. As far as I know, there is no way to do this. However, my overall knowledge is limited.

The place where the boss is has a virus in it, so you must use a special elixir every few minutes to keep yourself from the virus poison/

Am I reading this right? A constant "poison" effect (one that requires a very specific remedy at that) during a fight against a boss? See, this is why players hate status-based bosses. Think about it. Not only is the player taking damage from the boss, but poison damage on top of that. This also assume players have a decent supply of a remedy. What if players don't find any? What do they do? 90% would probably quit in frustration.

When you defeat the last boss, you must not let him escape, otherwise he will get to his massive robot and it will be almost impossible to defeat him

So not only can players essentially waste half their resources just to survive (from the sound of things), but the boss can escape. This makes whatever effort the player put forth feel useless. This idea is so bad, it's not even funny.
I guess it depends on how much is healed, but if the boss restores, say, half it's health, we're talking more of an "annoying" battle than an "epic" one. Then again, this idea is something players hate as a general rule.

Obviously I won't make the boss heal to half HP
It will be a lot lower than that, probably 1 health gauge per long turn, which would only make the battle about 5-10 minutes longer than usual

Not that this kind of boss has never been seen before, but I've not seen it implemented in an RPG Maker game. There is also the problem of how it can be implemented. As far as I know, there is no way to do this. However, my overall knowledge is limited.

You have never seen it implemented in an RPG Maker game?? lol
That's amazing good news for me, time to innovate don't you think?
Yes it is possible, and it's really easy.

Am I reading this right? A constant "poison" effect (one that requires a very specific remedy at that) during a fight against a boss? See, this is why players hate status-based bosses. Think about it. Not only is the player taking damage from the boss, but poison damage on top of that. This also assume players have a decent supply of a remedy. What if players don't find any? What do they do? 90% would probably quit in frustration.

Relaaaaaaaaax
I didn't say anything about POISON and DAMAGE.
It will be like Resident Evil Outbreak (if you ever played it)
It is just a way to make the battle time based, I don't want the player to make the battle last forever if he wants to, I will make so that the player can 100% cure the virus, but from time to time. This gives a little distraction from the boss, and it will not be "constant". You will have like a Virus Gauge and it will very very slowly increase with time, after quite a while it becomes another colour, which means you will have plenty to time to heal yourself and player 2 as well, the only problem here is getting to open the crate and get the elixir. This gives time for the boss to prepare some special attack.
I hope you get it now, It won't be as harsh as you though.

So not only can players essentially waste half their resources just to survive (from the sound of things)
Forget RPG Maker template battle system, my game will be Action battle system with 2 players, and there won't be resources to use, like potions and stuff, so forget it.
All you gonna need to kill the boss is skill and help from a friend (2 players)

but the boss can escape. This makes whatever effort the player put forth feel useless. This idea is so bad, it's not even funny.

My bad! Yeah this idea is so bad, let me change it.
So the new idea here is that the boss can't really escape, it will be a cutscene showing the boss trying to escape and getting into his robot. The player will have to kill the robot for sure, so there is not way you can catch the boss, it's just that there will be a cutscene showing the escape.

Thanks for the reply and the feedback Marrend
Hope u like it
Adon237
author=Kombosabo
You have never seen it implemented in an RPG Maker game?? lol
That's amazing good news for me, time to innovate don't you think?
Yes it is possible, and it's really easy.

Ok. About the crystal thing, I have already started on a boss battle like that.
Like my inspiring IRC person, Rhyme said "Your only limit is your imagination."
@Kombosabo You might want to ask LockeZ this question since made an article on Boss Design: http://rpgmaker.net/articles/476/

What game is that? If you remember would you care to tell me? Thanks

@Kombosabo You might want to ask LockeZ this question since made an article on Boss Design: http://rpgmaker.net/articles/476/

Hey man, thanks a lot, imma read this right now :D
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
When I read "virus", I mentally translate that into "posion". That's just how I think. No harm meant.

Forget RPG Maker template battle system, my game will be Action battle system with 2 players, and there won't be resources to use, like potions and stuff, so forget it.
All you gonna need to kill the boss is skill and help from a friend (2 players)

The references to two players acting as a team did throw me off a tad, admittedly. Though, if there's no potions, how does one heal in the first place? I'm thinking too much.

So the new idea here is that the boss can't really escape, it will be a cutscene showing the boss trying to escape and getting into his robot. The player will have to kill the robot for sure, so there is not way you can catch the boss,
it's just that there will be a cutscene showing the escape.

So the player defeats the first form, then there's a cutscene where the boss hops into a mech, and we go into form two. That's a plan! Though there was a statement about having multiple forms before, but maybe that's for a different boss?

Good luck with that, Adon! I would seriously like to see how that works. I suspect that there'd be some scripting involved, but who knows?
Sounds like you have a lot of really interesting ideas. Personally, I suggest having the floor break away at some point during the fight, forcing the player to fight the boss in free fall. Ever since Gandalf and the Balrog I've always found falling battles to be quite impressive.
Though, if there's no potions, how does one heal in the first place? I'm thinking too much.

Player 2 has a healing spell and player 1 has a resurrection spell, the perfect match :)
Also there are health drops from the crates, and the players have very HIGH HP
I want to make it so that the player doesn't care much about his HP and focuses more on killing the boss using different tactics depending on what circumstances they are facing

EDIT:

Imagine a game with gameplay similar to Pocky Rocky (Super Nintendo)

With bosses from Contra 3 (Super Nintendo) on Hard mode

With spell from Final Fantasy 12 (Playstation 2)

That clears things out?

You haven't finished it yet have you?
Would love to see it when it's done! :)

So the player defeats the first form, then there's a cutscene where the boss hops into a mech, and we go into form two. That's a plan!

Exactly, that's what I plan to do.

Though there was a statement about having multiple forms before, but maybe that's for a different boss?

He has many forms, one of his forms is where he is inside the robot. Though it's not his last form.

Personally, I suggest having the floor break away at some point during the fight, forcing the player to fight the boss in free fall. Ever since Gandalf and the Balrog I've always found falling battles to be quite impressive.

That is a bit complicated, but I can think about it. Added to my ideas board.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I hope my article is helpful to people designing bosses, but it's not actually a list of specific ideas so much as an article about design practices and theory. I do have a pretty massive list of potential boss gimmicks at home. I might post an exerpt later - posting the entire thing would be way beyond the maximum allowed post size.

One problem I think a lot of people have with boss gimmicks is that they only use one per boss. ;) This is fine for the earlier parts of the game, when the player is still getting used to how your battles work, but usually isn't really that challenging once you know what you're doing. We all have seen plenty of wallchange bosses, and adapting to that gimmick is fairly straightforward in most games, especially if the player is told which element to use or has a Scan spell. You've gotta make it more engaging than that to keep the player interested in the fights! (Though, like my article says, don't just start dropping ridiculous bosses out of the blue - introduce the player to some of the individual gimmicks beforehand and gradually ramp the complexity up.)

For all its flaws, World of Warcraft is a fantastic example of a game with really, really interesting bosses. Every boss has multiple gimmicks, and they typically work together to create an interesting puzzle for the player to solve. One thing I like to do to help inspire myself is take a WoW boss, look up its abilities on wowpedia, and write down how I would make the boss work in my RPG Maker XP game. Since a lot of its bosses include lots of movement to avoid some of the boss's spells, as well as tanking and other concepts my game doesn't use, my version of the boss ends up being pretty different most of the time. I try to come up with semi-equivalent gimmicks, so that they'd feel the same but work differently (rather than just removing gimmicks that don't work). I don't actually use these straight up, but they tend to be great inspiration for my own bosses.

So, on the spot, I'll do this for the first four bosses in Zul'Aman, a level 85 heroic dungeon in WoW. For reference, "light" damage is typically about 10-20% of an average player's max HP, "medium" damage is typically about 25-50%, and "heavy" damage is typically about 60-90%. Also remember that all skills in WoW (as well as in my game) have a 100% hitrate, including status effects. And that most status effects cannot be healed unless explicitly stated.

Akil'zon, the eagle boss

Original abilities in WoW:
Call Lightning - Medium lightning damage against the player tank.
Static Disruption - Targets one player and deals medium lightning damage every second to that player and any other players in close range around that player, and increases their lightning damage taken by 25% for 12 sec.
Electrical Storm - Cast on a single target, an electrical storm surrounds the target, disabling the target player and dealing minor lightning damage every second to any allies of the target who are outside the eye of the storm. Players must move close to the affected player to keep from taking damage.
Summon Amani Kidnapper - Summons an eagle which flies around during the fight. The eagle has lowish HP and can be dispatched pretty quickly if everyone focuses on it as soon as it appears.
The eagle uses Plucked - Disables a player and deals 5% of the player's maximum HP every second until the eagle dies.

If I were adapting this fight for use in RMXP, I would change the following:
Call Lightning - Hits a random target, instead of the tank.
Static Disruption - The proximity mechanic is removed. Instead, this spell affects the entire player party with a damage-dealing status effect that also increases lightning damage taken. The effect can be removed with items or the Esuna spell. However, one party member would receive a different version of the effect that is not removable. Lasts 6 rounds if not healed.
Electrical Storm - Completely redesigned. Targets one player, dealing heavy lightning damage. After one round, the lightning charge explodes, dealing heavy lightning damage to all other players who are not defending. Defending reduces the explosion damage to zero.

Nalorakk, the bear boss

Brutal Strike - Strikes the tank. Ignores target's armor, dealing heavy physical damage. 1 second cast time (interruptable).
Surge - Charges the player who is furthest away, dealing medium physical damage and increasing the target's physical damage taken by 500% for 20 seconds. If used twice in a row on the same target, the player will die.
Shapeshift - After using Surge three times, Nalorakk shapeshifts into a bear, increasing his strength and defense significantly for about 1 minute before reverting. In bear form, he does not use Brutal Strike or Surge, but instead gains access to the following two abilities:
Lacerating Slash - Strikes the tank. Inflicts heavy physical damage over time. Lasts 24 sec.
Deafening Roar - Silences all players for 2 sec.

Brutal Strike - Hits the player with the highest HP, instead of the tank. Assuming I don't have the ability to create interruptable spells, this will not be interruptable.
Surge -Hits the player with the lowest HP, instead of the most distant player.
Lacerating Slash - Hits a random target, instead of the tank.

Jan'alai, the dragonhawk boss

Flame Breath - Inflicts light fire damage to players in a cone area in front of the boss. Also leaves a trail of fire that deals medium fire damage every second to anyone who remains standing in it for 5 sec.
Fire Bomb — Jan'alai throws about 20 Fire Bombs all over the arena. After a few seconds they will all detonate at once, dealing heavy fire damage to anyone standing next to any of them.
Summon Amani'shi Hatcher — Summons two Amani'shi Hatchers to begin hatching dragonhawk eggs. The hatchers will move slowly to the nests of eggs. When they arrive at the eggs they will start hatching baby dragonhawks. Hatchers are summoned twice during the battle and have low HP. When Jan'alai's health reaches 35%, all remaining eggs will be hatched, so you must allow the hatchers to hatch some of the eggs each time they are summoned, or you will be overwhelmed when the eggs all hatch at the end.
The dragonhawk hatchlings have very little HP, but use Flame Buffet - Inflicts minor fire damage to a single player, and increases the fire damage it takes by 5% for 8 sec. Stacks up to 50 times, increasing damage by another 5% for each stack and resetting the duration each time another stack is added.
Enrage - When Jan'alai is down to 20% health, his damage increases somewhat.

Flame Breath - Completely redesigned. Hits two random players for medium fire damage. Inflicts a status effect which deals medium fire damage again every round until healed. Can be healed by the Esuna spell or by an item.
Fire Bomb - Completely redesigned. Inflicts all players with a status effect that deals heavy fire damage after one round unless the effect is healed. Can be healed by the Esuna spell or by an item.
Summon Amani'shi Hatcher - Instead of slowly moving to the eggs first, the hatchers will just each hatch one dragonhawk per round.
Flame Buffet - Assuming I don't have the ability to create stacking debuffs like WoW, this effect would increase fire damage taken by 25% instead of 5%.

Halazzi, the lynx boss

Frenzy - Increases attack speed significantly for 6 sec, resulting in significant damage to the tank.
Saber Lash - Deals damage to all targets in melee range. Damage is divided evenly among targets, so if there are two melee targets, they will each take half damage; if there are three, they will each take one third damage.
Water Totem - Summons a Water Totem that lasts 1 minute and periodically heals and restores mana to anyone near the totem. Affects both enemies and allies. The totem can be killed.
Transfigure - Transforms the caster, unleashing the powers of nature upon all nearby players, dealing medium lightning damage. Used at 66% and 33% health. When used, Halazzi will separate himself from the spirit of the Lynx God, appearing as an ordinary troll with full health alongside a giant lynx. The lynx will choose a random party member and attack only that person; Halazzi will continue to attack the tank. The party may attack either the lynx or stay on Halazzi. It doesn't matter which, but choose one and stay on it. After either of them gets to 20% health, they will join back together.
While transfigured, Halazzi uses Flame Shock - Deals light fire damage to one random target, and inflicts an effect that deals medium fire damage every 3 seconds for the next 12 seconds. The effect is curable.
While transfigured, Halazzi uses Earth Shock - Deals medium earth damage to one random target, and interrupts any spell the target is casting, locking the target out of that school of magic for 2 seconds.
While transfigured, Halazzi also uses Lightning Totem - Summons a Lightning Totem that lasts 30 seconds. Deals light lightning damage every second to anyone near it. The totem can be killed.
Enrage - At 15% health, Halazzi will enrage, increasing his damage output and dropping totems more often.

Saber Lash - Hits 4 random targets, QuadraSlam style, for light damage on each hit.
Water Totem - Rather than healing players and enemies close to it, the totem grants a regen status to all players and enemies. It does this every third round. The regen status heals both HP and MP, and can be dispelled from enemies. The regen status wears off on its own after 3 rounds if the totem isn't there to refresh it.
Earth Shock - Silences the target instead of interrupting spells.
Lightning Totem - Damages all players every round, rather than only players close to it.
Adon237
LockeZ, I would like to have this whole entire list of yours, my game needs it. Though I would not use them directly, though, I would modify it to fit me and my games needs.
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
author=Marrend
Most of these ideas are fine, but I've a few bones to pick with some of them. Most notibly:

It is possible. In 2K3 you can have out Crystals, and as long as they are alive, each and every turn the boss heals it's max HP and MP, and maybe if possible, it's defense is raised based on how many crystals are there. Upon the Crystals Death, it is lowered back and the healing stops. Pretty simple, actually. I think it is possible via XP and VX, as well.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
In XP and VX anything is possible. As the sproutlings say, the world is built by your imagination!
Adon237
author=Adon237
LockeZ, I would like to have this whole entire list of yours, my game needs it. Though I would not use them directly, though, I would modify it to fit me and my games needs.
When I try to come up with an idea, I start by thinking of a simple mechanic like "This boss absorbs physical attacks", or "This boss uses AoE status affects". Then I build on top of the original idea. For example, the boss that absorbs attacks might summon a special monster that when killed, it increases the party's magic damage. He also might berserk party members, forcing them to use physical attacks. But then I might make it so that berserked party members can kill the summoned monster faster, meaning the party should cure berserk after the summoned monsters are defeated. It doesn't necessarily have to be something the monster or boss does, making mechanics that make you use your skillset in different ways works just as well.
LockeZ
Well, here's my giant list of boss gimmicks. Or the part I can find, anyway. Lots of this was cuntpasted from other people's posts, both here and on rpgrevolution, which is why it keeps changing formats. Other parts are my own additions.

Need poison attack/skill: enemy has high def, mdef, and HP.
Need mute: self-heal spamming enemy.
Need blind: High P.dmg enemy.
High atk / low def enemy + low atk / high def enemy: defeat the low def enemy first.
Defeat/mute AoE enemy healer first.
Enemy's power/stats decrease when first defeating 'energy source' enemies.
Need AoE: large amount of weak enemies.
Defend when the enemy gives a message saying it is about to use a powerful attack.
Defeat enemy ASAP before it spawns more enemies.
High def enemy + poison-casting enemy: good enemy battle formation.
Enemy transforms after x turns: must defeat ASAP.
Need def piercing attack: high def enemy.
Must defeat 'shield' enemy so other enemy is no longer immortal (can be done with multiple shields at different % HP levels).
When your party's HP is low or when you have characters dead, the enemy gets stronger. Or weaker.
If enemy X HP is below a certain %, enemy Y starts to attack (or attack stronger). Can be done visa versa.
Enemy casts powerful DEF+ spell at low HP.
Enemy party has damage dealer + buffer.
Enemy party has high DEF/HP healer in party: mute ASAP.
Immortal/100% evasive sand enemy until a water spell is cast.
Unkindly Treated Beast: You have two enemies, a beast and its trainer. The beast is a pawn in this man's scheme. He will deal damage to the beast via a whip. When the beast is below 90%, he attacks you. The more HP the beast loses, the more damage he deals. You can finish the battle without killing the beast. The trick is to keep the beast healed above 90% while killing the trainer.

Thief Battle. Kill an enemy before its turn or it'll steal an item from you and run away. Generally annoying. Do not use if the player does not have a way to kill it before it gets a turn.

Character (un)friendly battle. If you have a specific character in your party the enemy will respond positively or negatively. For example, it may concentrate attacks on a certain party member, or refuse to attack a certain party member until all others are dead, or it (or your party member) may become confused and switch sides. Generally related to the plot.

To the Death. An enemy will engage one hero. Optionally, all other heroes will become unable to act. Until one of them dies the two will have buffs/debuffs on them.

Disable X. In this battle X type spell is disabled, such as resurrection, healing, fire spells, earth spells, buffs, dispels, etc. The type of disabled spell might change mid-battle.

Zombify. If an actor dies, it will be unable to be resurrected for the battle. Instead, the enemy will resurrect the actor to fight for him. Killing the zombie actor will enable resurrection once more.

Reverse Shield. YOU are protected by a shield from a very dangerous foe. If this shield should be destroyed you will be in an extremely difficult battle. You must defeat this foe last.

Every Status Under the Sun. Two words, Malboro Breath. If you don't have an Esuna spell, this can be worse than instant death.

I wouldn't do that if I were you: Certain actions on an enemy will make them react with greater hostility.

Shapeshifter. The monster is a shapeshifter/mimic. It takes on the abilities and attributes of other enemies. During the fight it may transform more than once. It may transform every time it is damaged, or after a set amount of time. You can cycle through the enemies until you get to one you like, or it can be so random you're never sure what to do in fear of it transforming again.

No Kill Zone. A force field causes everything to be ressurected, including your actors. After X turns or alternatively if you kill the force field, ressurection is no longer enabled. Thus, you have to set yourself up to be at a strategic advantage when this happens. To make this even more dire, you could make it so the enemy can 1 to 2 shot your heroes, so when the field drops, you have to have him as close to death as possible or you're in for a beating.

Enemies with high damaging counter attacks. Focus early turns on buffing up your characters offense and defense(Can sacrifice speed if need be). Since these guys won't be as dangerous until you attack them.

Kill enemies at same time, they enrage (get stronger) if they are by themself.
Monsters surrounding boss give him different buffs.
Boss has phases where he is weak to magic, then weak to melee.
Enemy has attack that must charge up, so buff defense or magical defence right then to prevent dying.
At 25% the enemy will fully heal after a period of time (save skills for 25%)
Boss drops party to 1 HP, and then follows up with a weak AoE attack, so heal up party quick

In council raid bosses, there are 4 bosses with a shared healthpool. One randomly becomes active, and has certain abilities, and periodically loses energy. At 50%, he throws up a shield and it's generally not a good idea to attack the shielded council member. At that point, another one becomes active and starts attacking as well. Again, at 50% he throws up a shield, but the other council member then becomes inactive.

enemy takes control of a party member - party member must be defeated
enemy takes control of a party member - wears off after some time, or when enemy takes enough damage

enemy dies only if his mana reaches 0

after death, a bigger enemy splits in multiple smaller ones

Variable defenses: once you hit the enemy with something, they develop a resistance against this method of attack and you have to find another opening afterwards. They can eventually forget a previous method too.

Enemy that hides underground or in a shell. Poison him just before he becomes unattackable. This will damage him from the inside since you can't attack him outside.

Elemental barrier shifter with misleading colors casts barrier's elemental spell before switching barriers. Absorbs any other elements. Cast slow while you still know his weakness.

Monk that needs one turn to use focus power for energy blast. Stun him or use sleep before he does. Preferably stun

Enemy uses elemental fields to power up an element (affects actors too).
Enemy attacks become more powerful over time (must end battle quickly).
Disable healing ability.
Disable special skills, or items.
Reflecting Forcefield: damage inflicted to the target is inflicted back to the attacker.
Reflecting Heals: heals cast on one or all party members are also granted to the enemy

Counter attack stance
Heckran(Chrono Trigger)
Mist Dragon(FF4)
Whelk(FF6)
Scorpion Guard(FF7)

You have to pay attention to the boss' stance and cease damage dealing if he enters a "counter stance", or else face painful retaliation. The punishment may vary in size, but insisting on attacking will surely kill you sooner or later. Best used early on to make the player get used to how the game deals with turns. Do NOT implement this in a turn or wait based system unless all characters have a "defend" or "wait" command.

Barrier change
Mellusion/Merugene(FF5)
Magus(Chrono Trigger)

This one is used best right after the players get access all kinds of elemental magic(Spekkio's training), or right after obtaining a Scan spell. A skill like FF6's Debilitator which gives an enemy a new weakness can provide an interesting twist as well. The barrier change is almost always visible, but the player may not necessarily be informed what element the new barrier is.

Countdown
Magus, Black Tyrano (Chrono Trigger)
MomBomb (FF4)
Once every few turns, the boss starts counting down - once he reaches zero, he unleashes a very powerful attack, and goes back to his usual routine. If the party is caught unprepared, it's dead. The variations of this strategy include a way to interrupt the impeding doom (especially if it's nearly guaranteed to kill you), and lowering the enemy's resistance/defense for the time of countdown. ("Magus risks casting a spell")

Multiple part boss
Dragon Tank, Guardian, Giga Gaia, Zeal, Mother Brain, Lavos, etc. (Chrono Trigger)
Whelk, Kefka(FF6)
Schizo, Bizzaro Sephiroth, etc.(FF7)
Crapload more examples everywhere

This can be played many different ways, but usually involves defeating the other parts in a sequence. The parts may also be a catalyst to the Countdown and Counter Stance strategies, making these turn off temporarily until the parts are revived (or not). An annoying move is making the parts weak/strong towards different things. Attacking some parts may be harmful, they're not meant to be attacked and die along with everything else. Some parts may revive others.

Speed-run
Garuda, Zande, Dark Cloud (FF3)
Bahamut, Odin (FF4)
Some late game bosses in Xenogears

This boss has ridiculous firepower or maybe even a one hit kill ever few turns, but also very low health or some sort of weakness, or perhaps means to partially avoid his attacks. (Jump) You're supposed to use every turn you get to deal as much damage as you can - healing yourself is probably a waste of turns if you're going to die anyway. Kill it before it kills you.

Endurance
Atma Weapon (FF6)
Aps (FF7)
Dark Cecil (FF4)

You may or may not be supposed to beat the boss - but sooner or later, it kills itself if you last long enough. (Atma dies when it runs out of MP, Aps damages himself with his Tsunami, Dark Cecil only dies if you don't attack it for several rounds in a row)

One-hit exploit
Phantom Train(FF6)
Jinn (FF3) //provided you saved a SouthWind

This one can be hard as hell - but guess what? It has a weakness that makes it die in one turn, sparing you the inhumane battle. This is generally to be avoided, as even when the game gives you a hint about the weakness it still feels stupid and cheap, but there are situations where it might be a good idea.

Lose/Escape/Avoid
Beatrix (FF9)
Golem, Lavos(Chrono Trigger)
Guardian (FF6)

You're not supposed to win this one. It's typically a plot device. You may be allowed to die without getting a game over, or you may have to escape to keep from getting a game over. In some cases, winning may be technically possible for a highly skilled/overlevelled player, resulting in a reward.

3-Way Battle
Many battles in FF13
Two groups of enemies that attack each-other and also attack you. Choose wisely which one to focus on first. In a game without threat, killing them at the same time is ideal. In a game with threat, you want to make sure one group doesn't attack you until the other is dead.

Escort
Protect Algus/Alma/Rafa (FF Tactics)
Golem (FF5)
Banon (FF6)
Many escort quests in countless games

An ally appears either for a single battle or a series of battles. The ally may or may not be controllable. If the ally dies, you lose.

Illusionary Copies
Poe Boss in Forest Temple (Ocarina of Time)
Son of Sun (CT)

There are multiple targets, but only one can take damage. Attacking the wrong one typically causes it to disappear, and may incite a counterattack. Every so often (sometimes after each successful hit, sometimes after a set period of time) the illusion resets and a different target becomes the real target. Area attacks are ineffective.

Also, for the hell of it, here are a couple more WoW bosses reimagined as RMXP bosses. These two are from the Stonecore. I had these saved on my computer so I might as well post them.

Corborus
Skills:
# Crystal Barrage - Targets the ground under one player and deals medium damage to all players near that area for 4 seconds. Can be avoided by moving out of the effect.
# Dampening Wave - Deals low shadow damage to all players. In addition, the next 4000 points of healing done to players will be negated. This effect stacks up to 20 times. Dispelling this effect will remove the entire stack.

Corborus alternates between two strategies.
Phase 1: Corborus is above ground and uses his two abilities listed above, as well as attacking the tank.
Phase 2: Corborus burrows underground and is not attackable. Small enemies will appear rapidly in random locations, which attack the nearest party member but are easily destroyed. Due to the penalty against healing, it is important to kill them before they have a chance to hit you very many times. Also, dust clouds appear on the ground, and if a player stands in one, Corborus will surface and kill them.

If I were adapting this fight for RMXP, I would:
- Make Crystal Barrage avoidable by defending instead of moving
- Make Corborus surfacing be unavoidable, but only deal 80% of your max HP, so you can live through it if you're at full health. The dust cloud will still be visible, letting the player know which party member needs to be at full health.

Slabhide
Skills:
# Sand Blast - Deals medium damage to all players in front of Slabhide within 15 yards.
# Eruption - Deals a small amount of damage to players within melee range. In addition, a pool of lava forms in a random location, resulting in:
# Lava Pool - Deals damage quickly to anyone standing in the fire. Disappears after 10 sec.
# Collapse ceiling - Flies into the air, causing stalactites to drop from the ceiling; if one lands on you, you die. A shadow will appear on the ground where each stalagtite is going to fall.
# Crystal Storm - Deals massive damage to all enemies in line of sight every half second for 6 sec.

Strategy:
The stalactites are not a major threat. However, you have to hide behind one when he starts casting Crystal Storm to survive it, otherwise you will die after 2-3 hits of it. And you have to make sure there's not a lava pool behind the one nearest you, though standing in a lava pool is not as bad as being hit by Crystal Storm.

If I were adapting this fight for RMXP, I would:
- Make Sand Blast simply target two random party members.
- Make Eruption deal damage only to characters who performed a physical attack that round.
- Lava pools would be replaced by summoned lava elementals, which would only attack the lowest HP party member. They would self-destruct after a few turns.
- Stalactites would also be summoned enemies, but would not deal damage. Slabhide would deal earth damage to all party members when he summoned them, but after that they would just sit there.
- When Slabhide starts using Crystal Storm, the player would have to attack and destroy a stalactite. Doing so would create a resonant sound that shatters his crystal storm but strengthens any lava elementals that are alive.
Adon237
author=Antilurker77
When I try to come up with an idea, I start by thinking of a simple mechanic like "This boss absorbs physical attacks", or "This boss uses AoE status affects". Then I build on top of the original idea. For example, the boss that absorbs attacks might summon a special monster that when killed, it increases the party's magic damage. He also might berserk party members, forcing them to use physical attacks. But then I might make it so that berserked party members can kill the summoned monster faster, meaning the party should cure berserk after the summoned monsters are defeated. It doesn't necessarily have to be something the monster or boss does, making mechanics that make you use your skillset in different ways works just as well.

Nice strategy! Is this for all of your games?
Pages: 1