A QUESTION ABOUT GAMEPAGES

Pages: first prev 12 last
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need a new download to be bumped into that queue again?
I don't see the need for regular downloads of what someone got done in the last week. IMO just complete your game or demo, upload it when you believe its finished and wont require a ton of further updates. If you need updates that often, your game probably was not ready for release in the first place. Just because your last release was not up to snuff doesn't mean someone else should be bumped off the front page because you neglected to do it right. Yes there are bugfixes and improvements.. but try to do all that in one go or over more time at least.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
You're right. I had forgotten Alistair was on the front page as a featured game, not as a new game.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Sailerius
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need a new download to be bumped into that queue again?

Apparently, editing an already existing download bumps the game to the front page. Which is what I do for my games, to be perfectly honest. Matsumori Days might be on the front page as a "new game to play" (at least currently, it is), but I haven't had a truly "new" download for that game since I released the Kojiro Duel demo. Which was a while ago.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I agree with you Illustrious. and that's usually the counter argument to what I said, "just wait to update it when you're finished or get a better chunk done." and that's a totally reasonable argument, it's just that I don't think people should get angry at other users for harmlessly wanting to update their games, so that the general flow of 1-50 people who play the game aren't met with bugs or small errors, or just outdated systems that may turn them off from trying the game ever again.

I think RMN4 will change a lot of this though, so it isn't too much to worry about now. (I hope)
chana
No one's angry, at least not I, just a bit exasperated, though I know there's not helping much considering Heartache-101 is an endless game as part of it is that other people can add new stuff to it, at their leisure (and apparently, it's not a simple task!).
Melkino
solos collectors on purpose
oh god what have i done

...um, I just made this topic to make sure that it was okay for me to edit Terminal Horizon's status without bumping it to the first page of the Games section; I stopped working on it some time ago.
I wasn't thinking about the games on the site's frontpage while making this topic, and had no intention of badmouthing them--sorry for any vagueness or misconceptions.
chana
It's ok, we just took advantage of your topic to express some exasperation, no problem.
Well, bumping it in the games section isn't the worst thing at all. It moves fast enough. I do not mind seeing games going up and down the list at that rate.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Melkino
...um, I just made this topic to make sure that it was okay for me to edit Terminal Horizon's status without bumping it to the first page of the Games section; I stopped working on it some time ago.

Yeah, this kinda exploded into a debate that wasn't focusing on the original query. For that, I am sorry. Anyway, I think kentona already said this, but, changing a game's status from "Complete" to "Haitus" (or whatever) does not move the game onto the front page, nor does it bump the game onto the first page of the Games section. At least, that's what I've observed.
author=Sailerius
At this time, uploading over top of an existing game will update the date_added field for the game download, which is the date used to determine the frontpage list.

In RMN4, I have implemented a new field called date_updated. The frontpage will still be using the date_added field, but now it will accurately reflect the date it was uploaded and approved, and then never change.
Although this discussion has hijacked the OP's topic, it is so much nicer seeing it here on the forum than in my project thread!

author=Illustrious
I don't see the need for regular downloads of what someone got done in the last week. IMO just complete your game or demo, upload it when you believe its finished and wont require a ton of further updates. If you need updates that often, your game probably was not ready for release in the first place. Just because your last release was not up to snuff doesn't mean someone else should be bumped off the front page because you neglected to do it right. Yes there are bugfixes and improvements.. but try to do all that in one go or over more time at least.

That's a sound philosophy for most of the development cycle for most games. However, once you're in beta-testing, things change.

For the first year that I worked on my project (I'm the author of Heartache 101) I hardly told anyone about it. I didn't want to release even a demo all that time. I only made a project page here after I had a beta to show for my efforts. At that point I could no longer keep working in a cave; the game needed feedback in order to improve. You get feedback, you make changes, you release again, you get more feedback, you make more changes, you release again, and on and on for as long as necessary and as frequently as necessary. That's a testing cycle that I believe any serious game must go through. (I tried to conduct testing in private at first by clicking the "testers only" box for my download, but somehow non-testers were still able to download it; public seems to be the only option)

The first time someone complained about the game's presence on the front page it took me by surprise because I've never seen a community where frequently updating one's product with bug fixes and improvements wasn't recognized as a good thing. And unless I've misunderstood things, RMN exists in part for that purpose--to assist authors with the testing cycle. The site has been extremely helpful in that regard. It is the very thing that what makes it so valuable imo. RMN is providing what I wasn't able to get elsewhere. I first tried to look for beta-testers at the Lemmasoft forums (a freelance visual novel community) and got a few people saying they would playtest it, but nobody actually playtested it. The project almost died right there from presumed lack of interest. Believe me, it can be real hard to find testers for a game of this type. There are literally no communities on the internet dedicated specifically to people who like datings sims with any level of activity worth mentioning that I know of (and I have looked and looked).

If I've misunderstood what RMN is about and should have waited until the game was complete before posting it, I apologize. Although in that case, lack of adequate testing may have doomed the game to never be complete.
Pages: first prev 12 last