DID YOU WANT TO MAKE AN RPG/GAME? BE HONEST!

Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
less effort, yeah.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Yes, but some one couls also commit to something that requires more efforts ? I mean just be doing something else, this doesn't seem to be taken in account in your post...?
I wanted to make an RPG since I was like 7, around age 12 I found a game maker type dealy and went "Hmm, I wonder if an RPGMaker exists" Then I found RPGMaker for the ps1.

After many many terrible hours I made a game... But i wanted it to look like it was from snes. So I went back on the internet and looked.

Eventually I found Don Miguels site and found RPGmaker 2000. I crapped my pants with happiness and set out to me the rpg I always wanted to. And I did. So yeah I wanted to make an rpg. And I went looking to do just that.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=chana
Yes, but some one couls also commit to something that requires more efforts ? I mean just be doing something else, this doesn't seem to be taken in account in your post...?

Well, yeah, you could, but that's not the point I was trying to make. Although now that I think about it, I kind of missed the point of the topic. My bad. :\
author=clydearrowny
I wanted to make an RPG since I was like 7, around age 12 I found a game maker type dealy and went "Hmm, I wonder if an RPGMaker exists" Then I found RPGMaker for the ps1.

After many many terrible hours I made a game... But i wanted it to look like it was from snes. So I went back on the internet and looked.

Eventually I found Don Miguels site and found RPGmaker 2000. I crapped my pants with happiness and set out to me the rpg I always wanted to. And I did. So yeah I wanted to make an rpg. And I went looking to do just that.

What game did you make?
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
I stumbled across RPG Maker 2000, saw how magnificent both the maker and the supplied RTP was (and later on, all the resources available!) and felt like I had my dream of making an RPG come true.

Obviously, I've yet to complete an RPG to this day, but it's still a dream I want to realize some day.

Also, half-month-necropost, but I don't care since this topic is on the first page.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Yes. I always thought about "what if there was a program to make games, even rpg games?" Then dreams came true, I was right.

In the early don miguel days, and such, I was just mucking around with it, I didn't know much about switches, but figured it now. I really kept trying to come with good ideas, best idea was that SOLDIER game, though it's lack of work on it, I cancelled it and put it off site, and how confusing it was to get to a story point, and the events didn't work out, not sure if I get back to it. But it's annoying.

Only three projects, I only ended up restarting a previous dialouge event in dreamwalker I lost, which kind of sucked, but wasn't too bad, it's only in early stages, and not demo ready.

Story of Ligara is now only 30 Maps long, and getting there. SOLDIER is now 164 Maps long, so it would totally in demo stages, even so it was going to no demos and just get to the full game status.

Just progressing though slowly.
Way back in elementary school, my friend and I would mess around with RPGMaker 2k3.
Granted we had no idea what we were doing and we had poorly made games but it was super fun anyways. :)
I started with making rpg board games with my brother and it escalated from there. I'd like to think I do love to make games....but maybe leaning more on the art side and doing different things than just RPG standard... I guess?

I love experimenting with different gameplay mechanics that are out of the norm and do crazy stuff in it as much as possible, just that programming it in is a major pain D:
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I started with making rpg board games with my brother and it escalated from there.

This half-reminds me of a certain someone I know trying to get Monoploy, Risk, and Poker to work in synergy. It's become a running gag now ("I'll attack Eastern Europe from Western Europe, trade you the light purple that you need for the two oranges that I don't have, and I'm raising 20 chips.") as the idea never got very far.
That sounds like Settlers of Catan
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=kentona

Apparently in Germany (and other European countries) they take their boardgames super seriously. I loved board games when I was a kid, but looking back, playing The Game of Life or Chutes and Ladders is pretty dumb when you don't do anything but throw dice.
author=Archeia_Nessiah
I started with making rpg board games with my brother and it escalated from there. I'd like to think I do love to make games....but maybe leaning more on the art side and doing different things than just RPG standard... I guess?

Yeah with me doing 100% custom graphics, I'd like to think I'm doing some sort of art project rather than trying to make it big in the "indie/amateur" scene HEH. Idk if I really like RPGs (though I wonder if some RPG fans here even understand them), it's just easy to put graphics into it and add in a neat story without much programming.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
"even understand them", what do you mean by that, they're, most of the time rather simple to get!? Nevertheless, your project is interesting.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=kentona

Strange that you should mention that. I'm sure he tried to mix up Settlers with something else (Settlers-Monoploy-Poker-Risk!?).
I personally have been thinking about game design since I was a little kid. Every time I'd play a game, I'd get some sort of idea from it and go from there. I would draw on legal pads (my dad had a ton of them in his office so I'd nab one and fill it up.) I still have one legal pad that has my game Flame Boy (haha) the living fireball, and it was a sidescroller (very much inspired by Sonic the hedgehog.) But it had a little uniqueness, as you could learn new techniques like pressing Forward, Forward, Jump would dash in a fireball attack or Down, Down, Up, Jump would do a forward loop flame attack.

My second game idea I still have some artwork from was an incredibly unique game concept called Secret of Hanna. It was an action-RPG with three heroes (a boy, a girl, and a very young boy who was a brilliant inventor) and the girl was named Hanna. So unique! You could find various weapons in the world (8 in total) and as you fought with them, you could learn to charge them up and release powerful special attacks!

Then, in 5th grade, I discovered QuickBASIC and began to design text adventure games, but they never went very far because computer class wasn't very long and I had to actually do work, too.

A few years later I stumbled across RPG maker 2000 (which was the latest release at the time) and I was hooked. The very first thing I wanted to do was create a game like Chrono Trigger (possibly my favorite game of all time). As soon as I realized I was stuck with the Dragon Quest style battles, I was disheartened.

It was then that I realized what a CBS and a CMS were. I started feverishly researching how to create these "things." I finally was able to create an incredibly rudimentary custom battle system and it was awful! So, I started going back to the drawing board over and over until I made Devil Star.

I liked Devil Star pretty well, but soon my ideas ran away with me and I became transfixed on the idea of making a real-time battle system inspired by Valkyrie Profile, where each character is controlled via a single button, but each character would have several abilities at their disposal rather than just one. This is my current goal.

Anyway, that's how I got into RPG making. I'd still love to be a professional video game programmer and I'm currently going to college as a Computer Engineer major. I have been designing games since I was a kid and I literally have hundreds of Word documents on my computer that are iterations of ideas ranging from MMO's and regular RPGs to action-RPGs and Metroidvania-style games.

Oh, I just wanted to add that the passion of my game creation is in the mechanics of the game. I'm not a great story writer, character developer, or mapper, sadly. So all of my energy goes into the battle system and other mechanics like crafting or equipment/stats systems in general.
I'm another former devotee of Qbasic. I started with text adventures and text rpgs then moved to ascii art dungeon crawls, and eventually an ascii art rip-off of snatcher where you could level up your investigator to detect lies better or rough up perps or slow down the timer in the obligatory shooting sections. I also made a couple of space fighters, with "working" radar and faux 3d space, all in glorious ascii.

I remember how happy I was when I mastered the Locate A, B :Print "" command, so I could do layered ascii art in color. I'd meticulously work at my delay timers to get as close to obliterating migraine inducing flicker as possible. When I finally figured out how to nest subroutines and create save game files, I thought the game making world would be my oyster.

Of course, the controls and often solutions to my games were so obscure that those few friends who were merciful enough to attempt them quickly lost interest.

I guess I've always had an interest in game making. The first things I tried were board games. Then I got into the habit of making little paper cutout characters, since the heros and villains in my head didn't have their own action figure lines, and made up battle maps and adventure cards. Looking back, I guess it was like my own take on a combo of D&D meets Risk. It never occurred to me to use dice though. I had combat cards that were marked with how much damage was done, if the weapon broke, or if the hero tripped and fell while trying to swing it. Considering I was probably <8 or 9 at the time, it was pretty complex. One of my neighbors used to play against me, but he knew how to trick shuffle enough that his barbarians always seemed to get the best cards, so I started to make up obscure little rules to try and even things back out.

We even had expansion packs, not that we called them that. We came up with new characters and event cards, and started making maps that had all kinds of traps and hazards. In one match, I think we both ended up losing our main guys to magical roving spike traps. When he had a cousin come to visit, we tried teaching the game to him, but he was "too cool" for it. I think we only had a handful of games after that, then we lost interest and went back to running around outside with toy guns pretending we were in a Mad Max movie.
back at the begining of High school I liked to draw. I eventually made characters, and then stated making a story... I would've liked to have made a game, but at the time I did now about any game makers.

about 2 years ago I Stubled across RMXP after someone mentioned it.
---I googled it--- and started on my path to turning my story into a game.

of course I spent a year learning as much as I could possibly could.

(ouside of real life concerns)
ahhh I remember Qbasic! Nibbles and Gorilla!
Nibbles was the best! I also had a sweet racing game.