DO YOU KILL BUGS?

Pages: first prev 1234 last
I have an extreme hatred for mosquitos. If I ever hear one before I go to sleep, I will turn out all of the lights except for one to lure it and wait until it's dead before I do let myself sleep. Those vampiric bastards aren't sucking my blood if I can help it! Flies aren't too bad around here but once in awhile I'll get one that is extremely dedicated to keeping me awake. In that event, the fly gets ninja'd by my hand in the air.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Usually, I just shoo them away. Unless it's a mosquito in my house. That's just trouble waiting to happen. I rarely kill spiders though, they kill the flies, and then die off.
I used to burn insects with a magnifying glass when I was little, still kinda feel bad about it...

Anyways, I generally try to let the insects out, got nothing against them, even though I am grossed out by some of them (spiders especially). And since we got nets in our windows, it is very rare to even see an insect in our flat.

However, there are two kinds of insects I totally hate and will kill/shoo away on sight.

1) Mosquitoes... I wouldn't mind giving them my blood, if it didn't itch so much afterwards, and if they didn't make the awfull buzzing noise, making it impossible to sleep. Oh and the diseases they spread, but not so much in my country. Anyways, I shoo them away when I'm outside, but if they are already feeding, or if I find them inside, I kill them. SLAM. Just like that. Yeah.

2) Wasps... Hate them, it is proven that they even attack people just for the heck of it. When I see one of them inside my house, I try to kill them, unlike bees that I try to let out. When outside, I try not to move when one of them is flying around me, hoping it will go away.

As for bees and hornets.... I like bees, they only attack when threatened, even giving up their lives. And they are useful. And I like honey.

Hornets... I read that they are in fact quite peaceful, but I am intimidated by them to say the least. They are freakin' huge! Also, my mom is allergic to bee/wasp/hornet stings, and once she had to go to hospital when a hornet flew below her shirt and stung her. Scary, and since I never got stung by any of these, I kinda fear them, cause I might be allergic too.

Oooops, that turned out to be longer than expected, sorry :D

EDIT: How did I forget about normal flies? When I was younger, on our cottage, I always went on a fly killing spree, there were dozens on the wall of the house, and I just swatted away, counting, usually went over 100 before I got bored/distracted. Don't do it anymore obviously, my view of living things changed/evolved quite a bit since then, with all the no-meat-eating and whatnot. But I hate them still, they are annoying, ugly, and they have to carry loads of "shit" on their feet, landing everywhere and being dirty. Ugly little fuckers they are, I generally only shoo them away, since I don't see them anymore in our insect-proof flat.
When I was younger and I was mowing the lawn I would avoid bees, wasps, and grasshoppers whenever I could. I would imagine this scenario where the tables are turned if I killed a grasshopper. I would be put on trial in front of it's peers and sentenced to death o.o

I have killed 100's of earwigs and I will never have any remorse for those bastards. When I find them crawling on my clothes while I'm bed...I can't just take that lying down. I will go out of my way to kill them if I see them outside. They can't be allowed to multiply and invade my home. One time I opened my basement door and about 4 dozen of them poured out. I was shocked and went on a murderous rampage. Recently, I went to turn on the BBQ but I wasn't getting any propane into the grill...it was clogged with earwigs *shudder*
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
You shouldn't just go out of your way to kill them in their natural habitat. All insects have a reason for being. Killing it just because you see it is as evil as you can get in terms of killing bugs, in my opinion. I care not how grossed out you are by them. Them being in your house is one thing. You being in 'theirs' is another.

Like Flies have a reason in life. To decompose things. Even Earwigs have a reason. If they were all killed out, one thing could possibly lead to another and fuck up our already fucked up and growing ecosystem.
There was a time when I was mowing the lawn and some yellow jackets decided to make a home in a hole in the ground. Unknowingly, I mowed right over it and was instantly attacked. Found a can of bug spray that was pretty low and let them have it.. until it ran out. Alternative: Flipped the can over and used the remaining nitrogen to freeze them. :)
author=Natook
There was a time when I was mowing the lawn and some yellow jackets decided to make a home in a hole in the ground. Unknowingly, I mowed right over it and was instantly attacked. Found a can of bug spray that was pretty low and let them have it.. until it ran out. Alternative: Flipped the can over and used the remaining nitrogen to freeze them. :)

haha wikked

My friend was walking in the woods and stepped on a hornet's nest. They went right up his pants xD
author=Link_2112
My friend was walking in the woods and stepped on a hornet's nest. They went right up his pants xD
Reminds me when I was 13/14 years old and we got an orienteering assignment in school. Someone in my team must have stepped on a hornet nest cause we were suddenly swarmed by hornets. They were all over our freaking clothes! Luckily enough non of us was stung. They must have been lazy due to being autumn or something.
author=Zephyr
Reminds me when I was 13/14 years old and we got an orienteering assignment in school. Someone in my team must have stepped on a hornet nest cause we were suddenly swarmed by hornets. They were all over our freaking clothes! Luckily enough non of us was stung. They must have been lazy due to being autumn or something.

Talk about lucky :D

Also, dunno why, but this thread reminded me of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy_TB6onHVE
I know it's not only insects, but still, I live in central Europe, and I can't imagine being on one continent with such "lovely" creatures. The spiders there especially. Anyone here from Australia?
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
I kill flies, ants and such if they annoy me. And spiders. Blech, I have arachnophobia, except tiny spiders aren't that creepy but tarantula-size and bigger :X
Thankfully only big spider you can find here in Finland is a pet tarantula.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
author=Nightowl
I kill flies, ants and such if they annoy me. And spiders. Blech, I have arachnophobia, except tiny spiders aren't that creepy but tarantula-size and bigger :X
Really? My biggest fear is if large spiders, and snakes. And bears. Bears too. Now I want to live in Finland. The economy is good there, yes?
I don't kill bugs unless I feel like they're posing a problem.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
author=Adon237
author=Nightowl
Really? My biggest fear is if large spiders, and snakes. And bears. Bears too. Now I want to live in Finland. The economy is good there, yes?

Economy seems to be stable, but be prepared to have FFFFFUUUUU- moments when it comes to taxes. They leech off alot from your paycheck thanks to stupid lazy immigrates.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
"lazy immigrates." I think that's called an oxymoron.
If a bug is in my house, it is subject to be killed. However, if I'm outside and see a bug, I don't go out of my way to kill it.
Can you feel the wrath of my slippers cockroaches?

GET OUT OF THE DAMN HOUSE AND FLY AWAY!

I only kill bugs if I have to.
Milos
Lone Wolf, or something cool.
I use my crafted flamethrower to kill them. KILL THEM ALL WITH FIRE! :)
Hope I don't seem like a lunatic to y'all :)
I kill every spider I see in my house. That is, if I CAN kill them. One time I tried to squish a spider and jumped right out from under my foot. Creepy bastard still shows up once in a while or its his kids I shudder thinking about all the spider babies that probably live in my walls.

Though, if I see bees outside I always close my eyes and murmer "Please don't sting me..." while I wak forward. They usually don't sting me but they like to land on me alot.
Pages: first prev 1234 last