SUPERHERO MOVIES

Pages: first 12 next last
Superhero movies have been around forever. The late 20th century really made a big boom with the Christopher Reeve Super Man movies, as well as the old Batman saga (Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman & Robin).
In 2000, X-Men was released, and the awful Spider-Man Trilogy followed.

Although these Superhero movies did get darker and darker over time, the mood was still generally upbeat. In 2005, Christopher Nolan tried something new with Batman Begins. This gritty Batman reboot had a unique style to it, something that wasn't tried again until 2008 when marvel released Iron Man. This movie not only sent the crowd wild, but it also began a new way of creating superhero movies, taking Christopher Nolan's style and tweaking it to add a little bit of comedy.

Next came The Dark Knight, which is still my all time favorite movie. In this film, Christopher Nolan took the new and popular gritty style of superhero's to its maximum level, and people loved it ($1,001,921,825 gross total world-wide)! After The Dark Knight, a true line of expectations for future superhero movies was established, and in '09, Marvel went wild with X-Men Origins: Wolverine. This movie was weak in plot, and filled with, dare I say it, to much action! I suppose Marvel learned it's lesson in this film and chose to go back to the comedic but gritty style in their next movie, Iron Man 2.

While Marvel was doing it's thing, DC stayed quiet. Then 2011 came along and The Green Hornet hit the screen. This was a great movie, and it was a hell of a lot funnier than any other DC movie I have ever seen! I suppose that DC decided to try out the comedic style that Marvel was doing so well with. They tried that style again with The Green Lantern, and failed. I just hope now that Marvel will stick to the comedy, and DC will stick to dark and gritty Batman movies.

I'm going to skip Thor, because the movie didn't really phase me. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't all that good either. On the other hand, this summer Marvel gave us Captain America: the First Avenger and X-Men: First Class. After watching X-Men Origins: Wolverine, I decided to skip first class, and just watch Captain America (which I loved to no end). They are also promising a Thor sequel, an Avengers movie, and how can we not think about the Spider Man reboot: The Amazing Spider Man. It also looks like we are getting a Superman reboot: Man of Steel, starring Henry Cavill (come on, a BRIT!). I also need to bring myself to discuss The Dark Knight Rises, which will bring an end to the all successful Batman trilogy. This movie will have Ann Hathaway as Catwoman, and Robin Williams as Hugo Strange (YES! YES YES YES!)! I can't wait for this movie, although I think it won't be as good as TDK, it will still be excellent.

So to conclude this text wall, what do you think of the 21st century Superhero boom. Do you like it, what are you looking forward or not looking forward to?

The Iron Man series is among my favorite superhero movies along with Christian Bale's Batman series. Robert Downey Jr. is a fantastic Tony Stark.
I thought the first two Spidermans were excellent.
author=kentona
I thought the first two Spidermans were excellent.

Do you think that the reboot is a good idea?
Agreed, I absolutely love Superhero movies. To me, it's almost like the perfect movie to see in theatres, it's just what you expect to see playing when you think of seeing movies.

I think my favorites would have to be the Spiderman and Ironman movies. Somehow I haven't seen the new Batman movies though, I need to get on that.
author=Lennon
Agreed, I absolutely love Superhero movies. To me, it's almost like the perfect movie to see in theatres, it's just what you expect to see playing when you think of seeing movies.

I think my favorites would have to be the Spiderman and Ironman movies. Somehow I haven't seen the new Batman movies though, I need to get on that.

Yes, you very much need to see the batman movies. If you are going to pick between one or another, I would go with The Dark Knight.
Also, what do you think of 3D and IMAX films. I hear that Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel are being shot specifically for IMAX. IMAX bothers my eyes, and I don't like it.
We don't have IMAX around here (Too far out in the boons) so I can't really say whether I like it or not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the jist of IMAX is a bigger screen and better picture?

I think I might like that, but then again, it could also get annoying as regular movie screens already fuck with my eyes after a while.
What's wrong with Spiderman?I was rooting for Spiderman 4 when they closed that project down, and I heard there still doing making this movie in mexico, to only be watched there, are they trying to say,"Come to mexico, it's so fun and it's the only place you can see this movie!", I could imagine billions of people going to mexico just to watch a movie. I never liked the Superman movies, never watched Thor,any X-Men movie that I can remember, dark night, but I loved both Iron Man 1 and 2! I like superhero movies, but haven't seen enough to judge.
I also love superhero movies.

Though I loved the dark knight, I'm not such a fan of dark sh movies.

My favorites were the X-men and the spidermen. I liked all of them, but the worst one is X-Men 2. I also loooooooooooooved Thor, possibly one of my favorites. Green Lantern is kinda weak. And Captain America is probably so bad I don't even want to watch it.

I'm anxious about The Avengers, but I fear it may not live up to its hype.
I was in the middle of writing a kick ass post about how ironman wasn't trying to emulate Batman begins in terms of tone nor style but alas my computer had a blue screen of death >.<

author=Ben_Random
This movie will have Ann Hathaway as Catwoman, and Robin Williams as Hugo Strange (YES! YES YES YES!)! I can't wait for this movie, although I think it won't be as good as TDK, it will still be excellent.

In fact Robin Williams appearing as Hugo Strange was comfirmed to be a false rumour (although when TDK came out he did show interest in appearing as the Riddler)
What is comfirmed to be fact is Tom Hardy being casted as Bane and the shock return of Liam Neelson who would be reprising his role of Ra al ghul o.O
(Which will either be in flashbacks or some return from the dead style plot twist)

As a film student the OP really annoys me :(
author=cal
And Captain America is probably so bad I don't even want to watch it.

That's a weird conclusion to come to since you stated you loved all of the other Marvel movies. What makes you think that?
author=StarSkipping
I was in the middle of writing a kick ass post about how ironman wasn't trying to emulate Batman begins in terms of tone nor style but alas my computer had a blue screen of death >.<

author=Ben_Random
This movie will have Ann Hathaway as Catwoman, and Robin Williams as Hugo Strange (YES! YES YES YES!)! I can't wait for this movie, although I think it won't be as good as TDK, it will still be excellent.

In fact Robin Williams appearing as Hugo Strange was comfirmed to be a false rumour (although when TDK came out he did show interest in appearing as the Riddler)
What is comfirmed to be fact is Tom Hardy being casted as Bane and the shock return of Liam Neelson who would be reprising his role of Ra al ghul o.O
(Which will either be in flashbacks or some return from the dead style plot twist)

As a film student the OP really annoys me :(

If Robin Williams isn't going to be Hugo Strange, then who is he going to play?
Well...

1 - No powers.
2 - Set in the past.
3 - Army stuff, something I don't like in any movie.
4 - Probably too much of "America is awesome", which is not that fun for non-Americans.
author=Ben_Random

No one, he's not in the film.
author=calunio
Well...

1 - No powers.
2 - Set in the past.
3 - Army stuff, something I don't like in any movie.
4 - Probably too much of "America is awesome", which is not that fun for non-Americans.

About half of it is set in the past, not even that much if I'm remembering right. As for your other complaints, that's an issue with the character, not the movie. And even then, that doesn't mean it's bad. Also there isn't too much of 'America is awesome'. Believe it or not, Captain America isn't that type of superhero.

Also Batman doesn't have any powers either.
author=StarSkipping
author=Ben_Random
No one, he's not in the film.

DAMN!
author=Feldschlacht IV
Also there isn't too much of 'America is awesome'. Believe it or not, Captain America isn't that type of superhero.

It is when you see it from the outside, believe me.

Also Batman doesn't have any powers either.

Yes, I said I didn't like it much.
The lack of super powers is what makes me prefer heroes like Batman and Captain America. No deus ex machina-like powers to save the day (like Bullshit Superman). Just human ingenuity and a few off-the-wall tricks.

My favoritism goes to The Punisher and Drake Anderson if he counts (Read or Die). They don't have any super powers. They just shoot people.
author=Dyhalto
The lack of super powers is what makes me prefer heroes like Batman and Captain America. No deus ex machina-like powers to save the day (like Bullshit Superman). Just human ingenuity and a few off-the-wall tricks.

My favoritism goes to The Punisher and Drake Anderson if he counts (Read or Die). They don't have any super powers. They just shoot people.

I to enjoy non super powered superheros. In my mind, superheros like Superman are just to powerful!
Pages: first 12 next last