RMNV4 FEEDBACK

Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I assume it means it is getting a lot of comments.
it's "buzzing" with "electricity" (its got 8 or more comments)
Does it die down eventually? A bee can only buzz for so long!
once a comment is a comment it is always a comment (no)
It would be interesting to see how many views are there per media of the media section. Each media of the Media section should at least have a view count.
Welp, it's been roughly a month. How are things?

1) I think I am going to tighten up the frontpage a bit. (I was waiting on SFL's feedback, but he's too busy. So forge on ahead, I say! What's the worst that could happen!) No major overhauls, though. And I am not putting all the images into a massive clump at the top (sorry)

2) Buzz score - how's it working out? I think it has been a pretty good metric for measuring activity. Someone suggested that the decay takes too long (or takes off too little). Thoughts on Buzz?

3) People seem to be taking advantage of submitting media (we have 5 pages now) but it isn't generating much discussion (post counts are low).

4) We had a good surge of scripts at launch, but that has slowed down, too. We were (very) late to get on that, but I am still glad we did implement a script section. (My efforts to convince regular scripters to post their work here has failed, unfortunately)

5) Engine utilities are not being used. (I was hoping that Cherry would host or link to some of his stuff there, tbh, but he declined.). Engine pages in general are underutilized.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't think it's really a problem that media doesn't generate much discussion. Media is useful whether people talk about it or not. Is the post count per media lower than the post count per screenshot?

Scripts obviously don't come very fast as most people who make scripts do so just for one-time use in a specific game. I think people who posted at first were ones who had a bunch of old scripts saved up to post - from here on people have to actually create stuff in order to post it, so it will definitely be slow, but I'm also really glad we have it. It's a much cleaner method than searching through forum posts for scripts, which is how some other sites handle it.

I have just ignored the buzz section, since my theory is that if something is already being talked about plenty by other people, then I don't need to talk about it. Any points I would make in the discussion have probably already been made by someone else. So the buzz section really just tells me a list of games to avoid looking at.

You could probably combine engine utilities and scripts into one section. They serve the same purpose, the utilities are just a workaround for makers that don't support scripts.
I just saw that the page where you could see all the former Misaos is gone? Why is that?

I think it was between "Events" and "Forums".
it's now in the footer.
So I was working a bit on a revamp of the frontpage layout, based on the feedback I read and received.
author=kentona
So I was working a bit on a revamp of the frontpage layout, based on the feedback I read and received.

I like it!
author=kentona

Meh, I don't see the need to draw boxes around the content at the bottom. It's not so cramped in there that it's hard to read. I like how it's open. Plus that's an awful lot of grey.

I like the front page as it is now, but I don't really care much about what it looks like either way.
author=kentona

Nice! I kinda agree with Link_2112 though, the content at the bottom feels kinda 'boxed' that way. Why don't you make it look more like in my mockup instead? You know, with softer shades of grey and just a line to separate the columns.

I see you're not willing to make any major changes, specially not clumping all the images at the top; which is fine, because quite frankly I don't know what was I thinking with that one... But something I still think is a must is making the "What's Buzzing" section less wide. If you do so perhaps you could even slip the "Latest posts" section in the remaining space. (Again, like in my mockup xP) - I've found myself visiting the frontage a lot less since that section is gone, and I'm sure others may want it back as much as myself.

Something else that caught my eye from your mockup is that the "Cool games + Latest reviews" section is about 40 pixels taller than the other two sections below it, when they all should have the same height considering they show up to 5 entries at the right. ...Also, the titles in the "Cool games" section should be at the top, or, let those titles be those sections headers.

Aaand here's my mockup, just in case: http://rpgmaker.net/users/alterego/locker/Mockup.jpg

Regardless of the result, thanks a lot for taking things into concideration and acting upon it. ^^
I personally don't think the footer really needs to be there except for some obvious links like resources and the IRC and the copyright :P. It just seems slapped on there with no thought to it.

The new look over all is certainly better than before but the ribbon.. no, it could be better.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Let's go back to the 2007 design
author=alterego
author=kentona
Nice! I kinda agree with Link_2112 though, the content at the bottom feels kinda 'boxed' that way. Why don't you make it look more like in my mockup instead? You know, with softer shades of grey and just a line to separate the columns.

I see you're not willing to make any major changes, specially not clumping all the images at the top; which is fine, because quite frankly I don't know what was I thinking with that one... But something I still think is a must is making the "What's Buzzing" section less wide. If you do so perhaps you could even slip the "Latest posts" section in the remaining space. (Again, like in my mockup xP) - I've found myself visiting the frontage a lot less since that section is gone, and I'm sure others may want it back as much as myself.

Something else that caught my eye from your mockup is that the "Cool games + Latest reviews" section is about 40 pixels taller than the other two sections below it, when they all should have the same height considering they show up to 5 entries at the right. ...Also, the titles in the "Cool games" section should be at the top, or, let those titles be those sections headers.

Aaand here's my mockup, just in case: http://rpgmaker.net/users/alterego/locker/Mockup.jpg

Regardless of the result, thanks a lot for taking things into concideration and acting upon it. ^^

chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Personally, I prefer the page as it is, then Kentona's, not too much alterego's mockup, my taste; particularly the "sets" of games, separate, I find is better, spacier.
(Wow, that's a change of avatar, rather in the trend?)
So the "Cool games + Latest blogs" section is now 7 entries tall, Ok, I don't see a problem with that. I'm not so sure about those search options right below it though, they look kind of shoe-horned in there. I'd rather make the screens bigger to fill the remaining space... But I guess is not really a big deal, just make it look cool. =_=

So, seriously, no "Latest posts" section? Who do I have to kill!? Just tell me!
LockeZ
Clearly we need a thing like My Google or whatever the hell, where it lets users customize which items are shows on the page for them.

My front page would be Latest Articles, Latest Posts, Latest Scripts, and 80 random screenshots. And then I still would never visit the front page anyway and would continue to just have my RMN bookmark go straight to the forum.