SUCKER PUNCH!

Pages: 1
So I saw this somewhat recent movie last night called Sucker Punch. Who anyone who hasn't seen it, it is kinda like Pan's Labyrinth in it's theme (Little girl uses her mind to escape a twisted reality)
I enjoyd the movie, except for the random action scenes went on way too long.
Did this movie remind anyone else of the game Bioshock?
Bioshock and Sucker Punch Spoilers ahead:
Little girls in an orphanage protected by a Madam from a sadistic visionary. Plus the music and atmosphere kinda gave me this 40's-esque vibe that would fit right in in Rapture.

I guess not a huge similarity, but it did make me fondly remember the Bioshock games.
So what is this topic about then?
To discuss the movie. I'll check it out later today!
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
What? It has nowhere near the amount of Ayn Rand found in Bioshock.
DE
*click to edit*
A movie with a potential butchered by PG-13. You can't make a movie about child molesting, forced prostitution, lap dancing, and cold-blooded murder and make it PG-13. Come on!

The action scenes were forgettable; too much CGI, too little logic, physics, and tension. Kind of like watching someone else play God of War on, wait for it, god mode. The story was dumbed down due to PG-13. Such a letdown...
author=Yellow Magic
What? It has nowhere near the amount of Ayn Rand found in Bioshock.

True! I don't know if the similarities were intentional, but for a PG-13 movie it had some serious stuff. I'm not saying it is anywhere near as awesome as Bioshock though.
The Sword of Truth (Legend of the Seeker) book series had a lot of Ayn Rand symbolism too.

author=StarSkipping

Sorry if you aren't enjoying yourself.
@DE Ironically the only way they could of avoid the dreaded R rating was to cut out a tame sex scene (which they did). The extended blu ray addition adds 18 minutes to the film which fills up some of the plot holes that was missing from the theatrical release. But it's only slightly better than the cinema version =/

Edit.
author=Demicrusaius
author=StarSkipping

Sorry if you aren't enjoying yourself.
Well it's just that your OP sounds like it belongs in the "What are you thinking about now?" thread. The Sucker Punch and bioshock comparison just sounded silly to me. The only film I can think of that is similar to bioshock is The City of Lost children.

Just saying.
author=Feldschlacht IV

please don't
It was good movie. You guys just don't understand.

That, or it struck a psychology chord in you so strongly you want to forget it existed. You want to escape reality. WHO ARE YOU RUNNING FROM?
Tau
RMN sex symbol
That train sequence reminded me of the intro for Final Fantasy XIII for some reason. Movie wasn't bad, not a complete waste of time but like DE said, could've been so much more.
author=StarSkipping
The only film I can think of that is similar to bioshock is The City of Lost children.

I rented that and never watched it because I was indefinitely waiting for "the right mood" though I had a feeling I would like it. Perhaps one day it will cross my path again.

author=Tau
not a complete waste of time but could've been so much more.

Seriously. Is it based on a comic book, I wonder? I kinda felt like this movie was a more serious angsty "Scott Pilgrim" in the sense that it was set up like a video game. (Five items to find, five random action sequences, five levels...)
author=Darken
author=Feldschlacht IV
please don't

its that serious dawg???
Sucker Punch is not worth all this attention. Let's all play Bioshock!
I really liked the music video segments in Sucker Punch. And especially the opening with the Sweet Dreams cover is most excellent.

And the distributors were kind enough to post the opening scene onto youtube!

So fucking awesome.

EDIT: Also no. It really had nothing to do with Bioshock. Except maybe the colour palette.
The soundtrack is bangin! That was my favorite part by far.
Pages: 1