I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME FEEDBACK ABOUT THE SKILL SYSTEM FOR MY WESTERN.

Pages: 1
In combat, my western features two types of skills: Gunplay, and Gimmicks.

Gunplay is fairly self explanatory. I'm using the mp stat to track bullets for each character. The characters can specialize in Pistols, Rifles, and Shotguns. I'm going for an older crpg level progression style, where the player gets a point every level or two that they can use to upgrade their techniques. The Initial/Untrained skills for any class of weapon are fairly terrible, but a couple of points in, the player gets a nice arsenal of attacks. The cost for any single shot will always be 1 mp/bullet, so it is up to the player to decide what shot to use in any situation. I'm planning on showing the percentage to hit in either the skill's description or name, so a player can make an informed decision between that 60% chance of inflicting slow with "Shin Buster", the 25% percent chance of an instant kill with "Headhunter", or the tried and true Quick Shot with its 95% success rate. Of course the option to branch out exists, letting the player specialize in aimed status inflicting shots, multiple shots on a single target, or the spray and pray approach that consumes ammo fast, but can shred an enemy party in a single turn at high levels.

That brings us to the Gimmick portion of combat. Each class has their own style, so here are a handful of options from each. The Preacher can buff the stats of his party with a rousing sermon, cow the enemies into losing their own faith/combat effectiveness through Judgment, or even perform "miracle" acts of healing - thus freeing up valuable first aid supplies for the REAL emergencies. The gunslinger can activate a mode that automatically reloads his weapons as long as there are bullets in the inventory (thus granting unlimited gunplay use, inventory permitting, for a handful of turns), greatly boost his own resistance to all damage types, scan enemies with a Squint, or even make them lose their nerve with a Glare. The Gambler can effect the enemy with his luck (turns on a switch that forces them to use versions of their own attacks with a much higher failure rate), turn on a mode that greatly enhances the effectiveness of his throwing knives, and even make use of his hand speed and reflexes by gaining a kind of auto-haste whenever he uses the attack type he linked it with during level up. The scout can substitute in altered versions of his standard shots that will deal much greater damage for a number of turns, grant the party guaranteed initiative in battle, make the party invisible to enemies on the map, and greatly increase the likelihood of beneficial encounters on the world map.

The only catch? Since I'm already using the mp stat for bullets, all the gimmicks fall under the old "You can use X number of times per 24 hours (ingame)." If a gunslinger character only has two stocks, and he has to turn on his ultra-resistance and free-fire modes in the same battle, he's going to be stuck with just his regular gunplay and item use until 24 hours go by. Of course, sleeping at a campsite or in a hotel will reset the counter.

There are also Social Gimmicks which are handled separately, with a sort of cooldown timer imposed by failure. They are stat based, with a random roll added to the determining statistic (along with any bonuses taken at level ups) to represent the touch of Lady Luck.

I'm planning on having the Gimmicks and Stocks level up separately, so that the player can choose between whether they would like to have a small number of powers they can use fairly often, or a wide variety of techniques that they need to be a little more selective in their application of.

There are also Fate Coins (name in progress) that will be awarded for accomplishments in the game, progress in the story, and exemplary performance in combat. These can be used to grant instant recovery to a character who is wounded/unconscious, move a chosen character's injury or disease rating back one step on the track, or to recharge a character's stock. They can also be used on characters will full stock to generate Over Stock (name change pending). The Over Stocks would not recharge after use like regular Stocks. Fate coins are linked to specific characters though, so one party member's fate coin can't be used to revive another, but events like completing a main story quest will grant a fate coin to every active party member.

So, I'm curious if this sounds like a royal pain in the backside, or a workable approach to my skill setup. I know it is kind of old school. One of the first RPGs I ever played was Pool of Radiance (Not Myth Drannor), back in the Tandy1000 days. The basic concept for my western has sort of transformed from "ABS Spaghetti Western Player Choice-Fest" into "Old School CRPG approach to Spaghetti Western Player Choice-Fest."
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The X skills per day thing doesn't bother me in games where you have enough uses to get you through a dungeon, but if you're planning on only giving the player a couple of these and making it impossible to restore your skill uses without heading back to town, the gimmicks will be extremely frustrating to make use of. People will save them and save them because they might need them for a boss - you're basically ensuring that these skills will never be used in any situation except a last resort when the player is one turn from getting a game over.

Now, this is actually fine if your game doesn't have many battles. It would work perfectly if you take an approach to battles that's less like Final Fantasy and more like... say, Dragon Age, where even the easiest battles are pretty challenging encounters on their own merit, and you only get in 1-5 battles total in most areas, and maybe 10 in the longest areas in the game.

But if you plan on having long dungeons full of many shorter battles, then I would suggest making these gimmicks usable once per battle, instead of a limited number of times per day. If you think that's too generous, then maybe make it so you can only use one gimmick per battle with each character, or even one gimmick per battle total, across all your characters. This will allow the gimmick skills to feel more like a central piece of the gameplay, instead of feeling like something that you're not supposed to use.

I definitely like the idea of making all gunplay skills cost 1 MP. It sounds like the player will get more and more tactical options as the game goes on, which I love, instead of just getting more powerful replacements for existing skills. How will MP recovery be handled?
In my (very briefly) released Star Wars themed rpg, it wasn't uncommon to have a force user burn through half to 3/4's of their mp in a single encounter... but enemies showed up on the screen, so the player could take time to recover with a meditation skill between battles. When a friend of mine tested it for me, he said it turned combat into a game of red-light green-light. He'd get into a fight, use the buffs and special powers, while he had the rest of the party use their 0mp skills (which had lower accuracy then the force effects did)... and then he'd have to camp out for about fifteen seconds while the meditation skill replenished his main character's mp.

I was trying to get away from that kind of hurry up and wait mechanic with the Gimmicks, by awarding the "fate coins" for advancing the plot/mopping an enemy up in record time, but I see what you mean about it feeling too limiting. I'm liking the idea of maybe letting Gimmick use be persistent, but limiting the activations per battle, although it will require a couple of tweaks to the class balances.

The original approach was for the gunslinger class to have less starting Gimmick stocks than the other classes, to balance out the fact that they'll get the opportunity to grab most all of the Gunplay techniques, while the Gambler, as a contrast, has a relatively slow gunplay progression, but has about twice the number of stocks at the beginning, and a somewhat easier time obtaining new Gimmicks. I've been trying to balance the classes back and forth so that everyone is the best at something and the worst at something else.

As for MP/Bullet restoration, at first I was just going to use inventory items like "Box of Bullets", "Quick Loader", "Shotgun Shells" as mp restoratives. The problem was that a character using a rifle could still use the Shotgun Shells item to recover his "MP." I considered just having a generic "bullets" item that would completely restore the bullets/mp for a character, but it felt like a cop out. Now what I'm doing still uses inventory items, but not directly. I've replaced the "Defend" command with "Reload". It triggers an event that checks what weapon the character has equipped, and then checks to see if they have enough bullets in their inventory to do a full reload. If they do, the mp is completely restored and the bullets are removed from the inventory, and if they don't, they gain back as many "mp" as they DO have bullets for. If they are out of ammunition for the selected weapon type, they get a message telling them they can't complete the reload. I'm working on an in-combat weapon swap, which unfortunately requires several different variables to keep track of the max/current ammo for each of the main character's possible weapons.

I am planning on keeping the number of enemy encounters per area pretty low. It doesn't make sense to fight thousands of enemies in the Old West. It is also a fairness thing, though, since the after-effects of combat can be fairly problematic. I'm building a list of status effects ranging from grazed to gutshot and beyond. I want to drive home the idea that a bunch of people shooting at each other with guns isn't something to take lightly, and that finding a way to get an advantage in combat is key. Depending on how many enemies are in range, the party can face up to six opponents at time, so the best strategy would be to try and ambush enemies when they're far apart and whittle them down, especially if they happen to be going it alone at the time.
This sounds really interesting. I agree with LockeZ though, if you're going to make gimmicks have a limited use rather than consuming MP, make them per battle rather than per day because you'll end up just saving them for a boss fight or when you're about to die.

If you can do it, you could even add a secondary resource to each character--some sort of momentum that once they get 100 (or whatever) they can use a gimmick. This could fill up rather quickly, or more slowly like a Limit Break.

As for the bullet types, you don't really have to worry about compatibility, unless it really bothers you. Parasite Eve's guns shared mostly the same ammo, there wasn't a different type for every gun. It helps keep things manageable.

There's a fine line between keeping the cool parts of realism and keeping the annoying parts of realism. As long as there aren't a crazy amount of varying bullet types, it sounds like it won't get annoying.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Combining defend and reload into one command seems smart to me. It removes some of the tedium of selecting the right item, and also makes the defend command more useful (which is good since defend tends to be a seriously awful command unless enemies use countdown attacks), and also makes the reload command feel more useful (which is good because you don't want the player to feel like you're just slowing down combat for no reason).

Wild ARMs 1 and 2 had a generic "bullet clip" item that replenished any gun to full ammo. In those games you had multiple guns per gun user, and the guns had different effects and were used like abilities. Each gun had its own ammo, but the bullet clip worked for any of them. Guns were special skills and bullet clips were rare; outside of special circumstances you would typically want to refill your ammo in town, not use a bullet clip. It didn't feel like a copout to me, even though the guns ranged from pistols to rocket launchers to energy cannons. But maybe it just didn't feel like a copout because I only used two bullet clips throughout the whole game.

Wild ARMs 3 had guns as your normal attack command, and did what you're doing now: defend and reload were combined into one command. Since your gun users in this game didn't have any melee attacks, just guns and magic, ammo was unlimited; you didn't have to have buy it or have any in your inventory. You just had to spend a turn reloading to recharge it for free at any time. Ammo was also refilled automatically between battles.

Wild ARMs: Alter Code F actually did both. Defending would reload your normal attack gun, while the guns that worked as special skills could only be reloaded by returning to town or using a bullet clip.
After some back and forth, I'm leaning towards replacing the various bullet types with a blanket "Ammo" item. The reload function in battle will work the same way, but now the player can reload their weapons outside of combat as well, without me having to do a bunch of extra work to prevent them from using the wrong ammo type.

Even if I keep the separate ammunition types, I think I'll also add in an "Ammo Box" item that allows the player to refill the entire party's mp/bullets, but only outside of combat. They'll be rare/expensive, but it'll be a 3-5 use item or something to make it worth the purchase.
Pages: 1