HOW DO YOU DESATURATE A COLOR, WITH GIMP? THX

Pages: 1
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I tried, didn't succeed, and there are apparently no tutorials for this. Thanks for the help!
Ok I'm not an expert but I think all you have to do is go into into the Colors-Hue/Saturation menu. Then pick the color you want (from the six primary colors shown) to desaturate and adjust the Saturation slider until it looks like you want. The default mode, if you don't pick a color, just lowers saturation on all colors.

If you're asking how to desaturate an exact shade and not one of the primary colors ... then I don't know:( But maybe this will help.

You may also need to experiment on the particular image you're working with to see which color on the menu desaturates what. I tried to desaturate a green background but it wasn't working until I set the color to YELLOW-- so how the color appears to your eye and how GIMP sees it can be different.
chana
Did you work with Gimp ? If not which software?(thx)
chana
Sorry, double post!)
Yes GIMP, GIMP 2.6. The instructions I gave were for GIMP.

I use Paint.net too for a lot of image stuff as I find it easier than GIMP. But GIMP has some nice tools that Paint.net doesn't.

(I never used Photoshop as I don't have $700.00 for it and don't want to pirate it.)
gimp is a very useful tool. i like how it can lower the color depth of images with little to no changes.
chana
Ok, I don't understand much of this, but when I do click on the color-hue/saturation menu, I get the error : Hue-Saturation operates only on RGB color layers".
chana
(I'm double posting on purpose, to attract attention) It woks perfectly though when I paint something myself...?
I don't use Gimp, so I may be wrong, but probably your image is in 'indexed color' mode. You have to change it 'RGB color' mode. Google says it's in Image>Mode>RGB.
chana
Thanks, yes, that worked perfectly.
Pages: 1