MOTHER 3. EMULATORS AND RM2K3S

Pages: 1
I found this video a while ago and I really liked it. I loved the original Earthbound and only recently even learned that the "Mother" games are connected, though they were never released in the US.
This is a video from someone who is trying to remake one of the other Mother games in rm2k3.

This awakened my childlike love Earthbound and got me to hunt down it's sequel. I hope this person is still working on it, it looks stellar! I managed to find a translation and ROM for Mother 3 (wasn't too hard with google) and I really recommend it if you haven't tried it yet!
I've just been playing it for about an hour and it's already full of that wonderful style and humor.
Does anyone know if Mother 2 is any good or have opinions for which is better? Does anyone know more about this "Mother2k3" project?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Mother 3 is really good and I wish they'd translated it for reals. The fan translators did a phenomenal job though.

Despite now being considered one of the most well known classic RPGs though, supposedly Earthbound sold like crap in the US. From what I heard, this was probably mostly due to Nintendo of America's marketing for it. Which consisted pretty much just of putting Master Belch on every advertisement and using the tagline "This game stinks!" Seriously. So, as a result, a translation of Mother 3 was off the table.

Mother for the NES, also called "Earthbound Zero", is also really good. It feels a lot more like Earthbound than an NES game has any right to. It aged really well for an NES RPG. When you're done Mother 3, you should check it out - it doesn't have a deeply connected story like the other two, as far as I remember, though it does have Magicant which makes it kind of connected to Earthbound. I really should replay it again myself to see how it connects to Mother 3.

That video is unbelievably sexy by the way. I remember there being a hacking tool back in the day that let you change any of the events and items and text and even graphics in Earthbound, in an almost rpgmaker-style editor, and basically make an entirely new game from the Earthbound engine. I also remember someone actually doing this and making a really good, unique, and still Earthboundy full-length game. Can't remember the details though, but if you are in love with Earthbound and like RPG Making it's definitely worth looking into.
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1319/

It has a profile on RMN. There used to be a demo available on his gamepage, but looks like it got removed.

The demo wasn't much. It just involved you walking around a couple maps and fighting a few monsters. But it had a real genuine Mother/Earthbound feel, was quite an impressive adaptation of the game's style. Looks like it hasn't been worked on in quite some time, though.

I used to have the demo on my harddrive, but looks like it got lost/deleted somehow. For shame.
I happen to know the guy who made that! Met him on GamingWorld(SaltWorld now..)
The first Mother (Earthbound Zero) is very connected, and Tomato (The guy who translated Mother 3) made a more accurate translation of it which is much better than the Earthbound Zero translation. Anyone who likes Earthbound and/or Mother 3 should check out the patch here!

The patch only translates the Mother 1 part of Mother 1+2, but the official translation of Mother 2 (Earthound) on the snes is already good enough.
pretty sure the reason why Mother 3 isn't localized or why Earthbound isn't on the VC is due to a lot of legal issues (music homages etc) rather than sales (but I wouldn't rule that factor out). Anyway I think Earthbound/M2 has great scenarios and moments but the battles are just really boring and off putting. They have a lot of grinding, horrible inventory management, repetitiveness and a little bit of game design trolling in general. Mother 3 is a vast improvement, too bad I haven't beaten it yet due to other games taking over my attention.
This Earthbound Zero seems interesting as does this Earthbound editor.

I remember that ad campaign from my childhood and it turned me off to the game, but I thankfully got it anyway.
The add campaign actually had scratch and sniffs that were supposed to be awful. Didn't not represent the game very well.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Nintendo of America must have really liked Master Belch because man they just completely ignored every other aspect of the game in their marketing. You would think he was the main character and the entire game took place in his sewer.
LockeZ
Here's the website for PK Hack, the collection of hacking tools to make games using the Earthbound engine.

JonBound is the hack I was thinking of - it's the only one on that site (and the only one I know of) that created an entirely new full length game. Well, for definitions of "entirely new" that don't involve editing any maps or graphics. But still, damned impressive, and a feat that's very much doable for anyone who's ever made a full-length RPG Maker game.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
I beated Earthbound Zero few years ago. Was a nice game but the final boss battle theme was annoying because it was only some annoying beeping instead of proper music.

As for PK Hack, I have worked with that tool a bit. It's nice, I actually started a project with it but haven't touched it since summer.
Pages: 1