~ MANOR MAP MADNESS ~ (SIGN UPS)

MAPS ARE DUE BY THE 17TH OF OCTOBER

WHAT IS THIS?
MaMaMa is a community mapping event where you are assigned a room in a haunted manor house and map it out, making it as atmospheric as you can. This means you use music, sound, overlays and coding to your advantage. At the end all the rooms will be stitched together to create a spooky manor house!

We will be using the Mack and Blue (REFMAP) tiles and the maker will be RM2K3 - mainly because scripts are too fiddly and, well, squares. :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GENERAL GUIDELINES
- You have two (2) weeks to create a map from scratch using the materials provided. The two weeks start on the 3rd of October and end on the 17th.
- Rooms will be randomly chosen for each person. On the night of the 2nd you will receive a PM with room details. For example, you may get the Wine Cellar, which may have two exits - a secret passage and a staircase out. You can design where those exits are in relation to the room, but they must be included.
- If you need variables or switches let me know. I will assign you a number set to use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PROJECT RULES
- You MUST use the chipsets provided. I don't mind if you edit them but the graphical consistency should be maintained!
- If you do edit the chipsets, please rename them as described in the submission rules below.
- You may use any music, sound effects, overlays and pictures that you wish.
- Character Sets should be in the RTP style.
- Your room must have an exit. Create an event on that spot and call it EXIT.
- No database. NADA! ZILCH! ZERO! NIL!
- - You MAY use the default Battle animations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SUBMISSIONS
- Rooms are due on the 17th October, though you can submit them before then.
- Send them via PM.
- Archive your project files. You may include a project or just the maps and resources (in their folders), but I'd prefer a project so I can easily import the information to the main project.
- Name the project so I know whose it is or what room it is.
- Switches and Variables named for easy moving.
- Please name all resources like so: YOURNAME/DESCRIPTION/NUMBER.filetype
For example, a shadow overlay would be LibertyShadow01.png (I'll accept shortenings like LIBSHAD1 or even LIBPIC1 as long as it's consistant) This is to make things easier during compilation. Please, for the love of all that is holy, do this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FAQ

Q: Can I use more than one map for my room?
A:
Yes, but don't go overboard. Three maps at the most and clearly label teleportable spots as such (For example, event called T:Broom Cupboard)

Q: Is it just gonna be the house or is there a plan to use it for something?
A:
IF we get everything done in a timely manor (;P) then there may be a small something done. Perhaps. I make no promises... but there is an idea swimming around this ol' brain of mine!

Q: Can we use custom charasets/insert something here?
A:
Yes, as long as it kinda fits the RTP or REFMAP styles.

Q: Multiple rooms. Can we have more than one room?
A:
Yes, you can ask for more than one room, HOWEVER your second room will be chosen out of the left overs of the first room designation 'round'. Don't worry, there's a lot of rooms to go around!

Q: But what if my map isn't that good? I can't do very good atmosphere!
A:
Do your best! We're not asking for perfection or anything, so just do what you can!

Q: What kind of information will we get?
A:
The details I'll send you will be pretty sparse. They'll include the name of the room, perhaps a general description - especially for rooms like the Solarium or Butterfly house - as well as how many exits the room has, maybe even where the exit is located or what type it is, whether or not there's a secret passage or something of interest in the room (like a window or balcony in a certain direction) and the switch/variable range that you are assigned. If you need more information, just PM me and I'll get back to you asap!

Q: I'm not sure I can make this map scary!
A:
Feel free to mess with tints, lighting, sound and music. Also remember that you can steal parts from the other chipsets provided to make your room more atmospheric. Just remember that if you do edit a chipset, rename it! :P (Also, charactersets are fine, if you can find some that suit the style...)

Q: So what's going to happen at the end? What will the maps be like? Playable? A game? Exploration or ...?
A:
I've had some questions about this and while I would like to keep it mostly a secret, I will let loose a few details.

- It will be exploration but there will be some areas that are off-limits at the start.
- There will be three main floors.
- Anything you put together will be easily added so don't think that what you do will be too weird or boring to fit with everyone else. The conformity is in the graphics. :D
- At the end it will be playable and there will be a character to play as.
- If you want to have a combined puzzle aspect just let me know what kind of 'something' you need. For instance, if you want someone with another room to have a switch-based 'item' to be found let me know and I'll let them know or I'll add it in afterwards.

Q: How high should I make the walls in my room?
A:
If it's an inside room, please keep it to two tiles in height. I could work around it if you really need it to be more, and certain areas should be fine as higher - the chapel or insectarium for example - but if you aren't sure then just ask.

Switches and Variables
Q: How many do I get?
A:
You will be given a number range of 20 switches(equal to one page) and 10 variables (equal to half a page). That means that when you go into the switch/variable table you use the switch numbers you've been given and no others. So say you were given the switches 40-60, that doesn't mean you get 50 or so switches, but that you get switches 40, 41, 42, 43, 43, 43... all the way to switch 59.

Q: What if I don't use them all?
A:
If you don't use them all, no problem. Just leave them blank.

Q: What if I need more?
A:
If you need more, just PM me ASAP and I will send you another 20 for your use. Just remember to name the ones you use in case there's a bug or I need to sort them for some reason so I know which are used and which aren't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MAPS ARE DUE BY THE 17TH OF OCTOBER

CURRENT SIGNEES
alterego
akaya93
Deckiller
Demicrusaius
Happy
Merlinman
miketofte
pyrodoom
sillydan
Tau
Zyntax

arcan
chana
Faenon
Gibmaker
Julev
Marrend
Max McGee
psy_wombats
SGCN
Zephyr

-
-

blue means details have been sent
green means submission has been received

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MACK/REFMAP TILES HERE!
This folder contains most REFMAP chipsets and some object character sets. Leave passability blank - I'll fill it in afterwards.

Any questions or suggestions, feel free to comment!
Well I'll sign up anyway.

Is there going to be anything constructed around the finished mansion map, or is it just open exploration?

EDIT: Count me up for 100 variables, 100 switches too I guess.
Happy
Devil's in the details
MaMaMa...? Sure!

I'm pretty sure I'll need a bunch of switches - not sure about the variables, but I could reserve a few of them as well.
author=psy_wombats
Is there going to be anything constructed around the finished mansion map, or is it just open exploration?

If everything goes well there might be a small surprise. Perhaps.

author=Happy
I'm pretty sure I'll need a bunch of switches - not sure about the variables, but I could reserve a few of them as well.

Sure thing. I'll probably be doling them out in groups of ten or so. Better spaced out than smooshed together anyway. I'll let you know you numbers when you get your room. ^.^
We should post this as an event me thinks. If you'd like I'll make medals for it :D
At the end all the rooms will be stitched together to create a spooky manor house!

And what will happen with that house then? Any plans?
Sign me up!

I'll need a few switches, probably. :P
SO EXCITED! I absoluteley love haunted mansions. Sign me up! I will make TWO rooms if you need! :-D
Edit:
author=Liberty
Why not assign values? Psy gets switches and variables 1-100, demi gets 101-200, etc. Then there won't be any moving.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Can we use custom charsets?
i want to join. This is going to be great practice!
author=Archeia_Nessiah
We should post this as an event me thinks. If you'd like I'll make medals for it :D
That sounds great! Of course, it's not like it's a competition, but medals for all who actually make an entry would be appreciated, Ness! ^.^

author=Deacon Batista
At the end all the rooms will be stitched together to create a spooky manor house!
And what will happen with that house then? Any plans?
As long as things go smoothly there may be a little something in the works for a Halloween treat. ^.~

author=Demicrusaius
SO EXCITED! I absoluteley love haunted mansions. Sign me up! I will make TWO rooms if you need! :-D
Edit:
author=Liberty
Why not assign values? Psy gets switches and variables 1-100, demi gets 101-200, etc. Then there won't be any moving.
True, but if there's a bug or something broken, a named switch is easier to find than an unnamed one. That said, switches will initially be given out in lots of 20 - that's a page a person. If you don't need switches then that's fine. Variables will be ten a person unless you require more. I'll hand out the number sets with the actual room details at the end of the sign-up period.

author=arcan
Can we use custom charsets?
Sure, as long as they sorta fit in with the REFMAP or RTP style. ^.^
arcan
Yeah okay sign me up.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
author=pyrodoom

I'm afraid this will be a little too difficult, and for me too.
arcan
Honestly this to me look like one of the easiest community events we have had.
author=chana
author=pyrodoom
... V_V
arcan
Meh can I be allowed to start today because I have a lot of free time currently until I begin classes on wednesday.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I've never attempted "atmosphere" before, and I could certainly use some practice making maps. I dunno, though. This sounds like it wants quality beyond my normal lack of standards.

*Edit: Sometimes, I wonder if my muse just wants to forget this exists.
author=chana
author=pyrodoom
author=Marrend
I've never attempted "atmosphere" before, and I could certainly use some practice making maps. I dunno, though. This sounds like it wants quality beyond my normal lack of standards.

Hey now, it's not about perfection but saying you tried! As long as you're proud of your map; that's what matters most!

author=arcan
Meh can I be allowed to start today because I have a lot of free time currently until I begin classes on wednesday.

I suppose I can allow that. You'll get one of the rooms that's a multiple, though, so others who start on the proper date don't miss out. :P

author=Demicrusaius

Forgot to answer to this part. :P I can put you down for two rooms if you like, but the second will be drawn from the random leftover rooms, but to be fair to those who only have one.

Never fear, I've got quite a few rooms that need to be filled (about 40) so no-one will be left out! :P

(I may do a bit of 'advertising' on other sites if we don't get many people.)
arcan
Sounds good to me. I might choose to do a second room as well. Also I'm just starting to do rpgmaker stuff right now so I can get to work right away if you tell me where to start.
Okay arcan, details have been sent. Now to whip up a table to keep everything in order. :D