ANIME RECOMMENDATIONS

Pages: first 123 next last
Happy
Devil's in the details
Yeah... I'm aware there's many people around here, who're like "lol, animu", but there's probably as many that do still watch some.

I used to watch anime a lot more before, than I do these days, and most often I feel too lazy to dig through for some decent stuff anymore. I view that most of the stuff released these days are aimed for younger audience than myself and I find them usually too ridiculous or boring to stick to, but every now and then there's some good series, that may just be a bit hard to find.

I got idea for this topic because I just stumbled across to a new anime that definitely made it to my top favorites, the series being Steins;Gate.

(My favorites before it included some titles like Berserk, Monster, Death Note, TTGL, Mushishi, GTO, Twelve Kingdoms, Baccano! etc.) So if you like any of those animes, it's very likely you'll enjoy Steins;Gate, too.

Steins;Gate could be tagged with mystery, Sci Fi, Psychological, Thriller and Suspense genres, but basically it's a well directed anime with a serious plot line, that doesn't pull too many retarded or ridiculous turns.

Things I didn't like about it were that it was a bit slow paced at first and had some irrelevant references and silliness I didn't care much for, but when the series got around mid point, it pulled several great twists and got pretty awesome.

It wasnt't bad for the first half either, just not as great as it gets at later point. The stuff introduced at the beginning are also used as reference material later on in the show.

Here's sort of recommendation trailer of the series.

(made it myself as I couldn't find any online.)

But yeah, post any good series you want to recommend to other people. Try to include something that gets people interested, without actually spoiling the entire thing.
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
I will recommend Speed Grapher. All that really needs to be said, is that it's a fantasy, thriller sort of series, and the main character's voice is the guy who voices Vegeta, so that's a plus. Basically a man gets powers after stumbling upon a secret ritual, perverted ritual, that once he gets kissed by this girl, it releases some sort of chemical component, that gives you powers you desire the most. Only select people have this chemical in their DNA. He gets the power to destroy anything he looks at through a camera.
hajime no ippo (fighting spirit)- the best sports anime you could find.
welcome to the NHK - about a reclusive man who hasn't left his house for 4 years
darker than black -
black butler
one piece
GTO

those are my favorite amine so far... hope u enjoy!
Well, the obvious Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden are still great, too bad that there is so many fillers these days. But overall the story is top-notch, love it. And the soundtrack is awesome.

My most favourite is One Piece, even after several hundred episodes, they still keep things fresh, and keeping fillers to a minimum (I can't even remember when was the last time they did one). I love the story, love the characters and their backgrounds, and Luffy is such an amazing/interesting person.

Others I enjoyed quite a lot:
Eureka Seven - Might seem childish, but in fact is pretty awesome, and the soundtrack... oh my gosh.
Elfen Lied - Bloody hell... literally. Awesome anime.
Bleach - Great if you like fighting scenes, but I stopped watching after the Aizen arc ended, imho that's where it should have ended. Also, FILLERS, so many of them, even many FILLER arcs...sheesh.
D.Gray Man - was enjoying it immensely, but it ended when the manga artist had a hand injury, and never resumed. Too bad, it was getting better and better.
Lucky Star - low production values, pretty simplistic, and yet, the simplicity of it kept me entertained, just a story about everyday life of 4 high school girls. Funny, simple and relaxing.
Devil May Cry anime - As a fan of DMC, I loved the anime, and they nailed Dante's personality so well. Only 11 episodes, but awesome. Not sure if somebody who isn't familiar with the overall story of DMC can enjoy it though.
Kiba - One of the first animes I watched, and I loved it.

Hmm I am probably forgetting some, but these are the ones that come to mind.

NOTE: I never, EVER, watch anime with english dub. It's always horrible. I almost didn't start watching One Piece, because at first I couldn't find the earlier episodes in japanese with eng subs. I just can't stomach the english voice-overs. That goes for games too.

EDIT: OH MY GOD, how did I forget Death Note. If you haven't already, go watch it, NOW.
Pentagon reminded me of Full Metal Alchemist :D Also effing great, the original and Brotherhood.
Ah, I can't say I watch much animu these days! The most recent thing I finished watching was Tiger & Bunny, which may or may not have been shoved in your face already. It's gotten ridiculously popular in a fairly short period of time. I'd still recommend it; I found the characters endearing and it was nice to see a show with an older protagonist! Plus I like things with a comic-book/superheroish kind of bend. The animation is hilariously bad during certain episodes, but I've always found such things endearing rather than a turn-off. Ah-haha I shouldn't be pointing out flaws like that... At any rate, it's worth giving a look~!

Kaiji is also pretty high up on my tiny list of anime I'd recommend. The art style took me a lot of getting used to and I still don't particularly care for it, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the first season! (I haven't gotten around to the second one yet, other than noting it has an awesome OST.) As for story, it focuses on high-stakes gambling, and makes me OTL at times. It kept me interested for sure!

In a completely different vein, maybe check out Usagi Drop if you want something blisteringly cute and about parenting an adorable moeblob. It's really uplifting! Also this is catchy and cute and gets stuck in my head. Just... just follow the anime's continuity. The manga makes me ):

Archeia's got me watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood lately, too, but I haven't gotten very far into it. OTL
The best currently airing anime at present is probably Mawaru Penguindrum, directed by Kunihiko Ikuhara of Revolutionary Girl Utena fame. It is strange and bizarre and frequently opaque, with pacing that is occasionally infuriating. It is also genuinely intelligent, symbolically dense and kind of insane in the best possible way (usually!) It is also afraid of nothing, but I'll leave you to figure out what I mean by that.

It's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of show, but it's never less than interesting and at its best it's exhilarating and brilliant and...well, you get the picture. It's not quite as good as Utena but for a followup to that series it probably comes the closest to recapturing the magic of any show I've seen.

I'd link to the OP because that's probably the best way to get a feel for it, but I guess it's nowhere to be found on Youtube? So at the risk of spoiling yourself, have some of THIS:

Which is hilariously based on this by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsa1ZyrFGj0
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If any of you like wacky, zany stuff, I recommend an older series called Family Frenzy, also known as Kyouran Kazuko Nikki. The basic plotline is that based on DNA tests, the Japanese Division of Paranormal Investigations has determined that one of six people on earth is actually the reincarnation of a God of Destruction that nearly annihilated all human civilization a thousand years ago. These six people are: an energetic catgirl who considers herself queen of the underworld and cheerfully destroys everything in her path, an isolated teenage boy who works at a gay bar, a quiet loli who was enslaved and mistreated by her family of gang leaders, a talking lion, an android created for war which gained sentience, and an ordinary jellyfish that the Paranormal Affairs division head fished up one time and tested the DNA of on a whim. The Japanese government decides on a plan to keep the world from being destroyed: stick these six potential gods together in a suburban house so that they can appreciate the value of family. A marriage is arranged between the catgirl and an unwitting rookie agent, who is to be the father of the household, much to his dismay. The two of them become the main characters. Warning: this show makes FLCL look sane. My favorite episode is probably the one where the catgirl becomes an orbital-laser-cannon-wielding magical girl. Not the best production quality, and no official English release, but there's a fansub available.

If you like serious drama, I absolutely must recommend Gosick. This is a more recent anime - it just ended a couple months ago in fact - about Victorique, a girl locked in a library tower at a university. She is not allowed to leave the tower, and has few acquaintances. Her brother is a police detective and she solves mysteries for him from time to time when he cannot. A boy from the school (the main character) befriends her and eventually falls in love with her. Though it starts out making you think, "Oh, this is kind of a neat play on classic detective mysteries," it quickly turns into a lot more than that. The mysteries are the hook at the beginning of the series, but once Victorique's character is established, the show doesn't need them any more. She's enough to make you watch, all on her own. She's an amazing character, and her attitude is a huge breath of fresh air compared to a lot of recent anime female leads. I don't even know how to describe her other than utterly captivating. Offical sub available.

Madoka Magica is O_O_O_O_O_O_O_O_O. Recent series, aired this year, just one season. Someone recommended it to me and I was like "I don't really like magical girl crap except as parody" and he was like "I don't fucking care, you need to watch this." So I read a description of it on an anime site, and the written description of it made it sound like a totally generic magical girl anime. But then the genre tags on it were: school life, shoujo, fantasy, magical girl, horror, psychological. Wait, what? Did... those two tags get put in the wrong show? No, no they didn't. It's short and it's absolutely worth your time no matter what kind of anime you like. If you think it's too much magical girl, keep watching until episode three. I can't describe anything about this show without spoiling it, but whatever you think you're expecting, you're wrong. Official sub available.

FMA Brotherhood isn't bad. Without spoiling anything, I will just say that to me the main plot got substantially worse near the end. The overall production quality is vastly higher than the original FMA anime, and I love that there are no filler episodes, but the plot felt too ridiculous.

I didn't actually like Tiger & Bunny. Nothing about it was bad, but there weren't any characters I actually liked and the basic plot definitely didn't hook me. I stopped watching after 6 or 7 episodes. I know it's popular though.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
Ark
Wario's-a number one!
Golden Boy is an instant classic.
Personally, I find most anime horribly cliche'd and unforgivably offensive in terms of sexist and racist stereotypes; however, that is not to say that the entire medium is at fault, but instead an industry that is birthed out of the country which while not holding onto incredibly backwards philosophies and ways-of-thinking, but also shares the fifth highest suicide rate out of all the countries in the world!

That being said:

Paranoia Agent
Serial Experiments Lain
Monster
FLCL
and I feel Higurashi No Naku Koroni deserves an honorable mention.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Personally, I find most anime horribly cliche'd and unforgivably offensive in terms of sexist and racist stereotypes; however, that is not to say that the entire medium is at fault, but instead an industry that is birthed out of the country which while not holding onto incredibly backwards philosophies and ways-of-thinking, but also shares the fifth highest suicide rate out of all the countries in the world!
As a person of Japanese ancestry and a long-time fan of anime, I find your biased and uncalled-for remarks highly offensive. I kindly ask you to look in the mirror and realize the great irony lurking in your post.

------------------------

Back on topic, I've watched quite a number (read: a lot) of anime; I've been watching since as far as I can remember! Out of them, some recommendations that come to mind would be (in no particular order):
* Yuusha-ou GaoGaiGar
* Nichijou
* Seitokai no Ichizon
* Cardcaptor Sakura
* Detective Conan
* Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai
* Fate/Stay-Night
* Slayers
* Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
* ZOIDS
* Kidou Senkan Nadesico
* Fairy Tail
* Full Metal Panic
* Zero no Tsukaima
* Shakugan no Shana
* Ghost Hunt
* To Aru Majutsu no Index

I'd list more, but the list is already as big as it is. Apologies if I got the AniDB links mixed up. ( ̄▽ ̄)ノ
K-hos
whoa You guys are hi-chaining without me? That's just not right. :<

These are some of my favorites that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet:
Mushishi
Ghost in the shell
Xam'd
Samurai 7
Baccano
Macross Frontier
Coyote ragtime show
Toradora
Kemeko Deluxe

Loosely ordered by decreasing seriousness.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I challenge you to find an anime greater than Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

...apart from that (and those that haven't been recommended already - although I should reiterate how fudging brilliant Monster is), Welcome to the NHK and Planetes are good bets: the former's about a hikkikomoro finding his way in life while the latter's slice-of-life IN SPACE.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Hikikomori*, sorry, edit button's not working and my OCD's kicking in

I might as well add that Planetes is very hard sci-fi (astronauts wear diapers, a single screw in space can decimate a whole spaceship) if you're into that kind of thing
Detective Conan
One Piece
Clannad after story
Fairy Tale
Ghost Hunt
Desert Punk
Slam Dunk
Yu Yu Hakusho
InuYasha(Sub Only?)
Legend of the Galactic Hero's(Try to find film or Japanese R2 Dvds, the English version has horrible masters)
Lucky Star(it's crazy funny)
Mawaru Penguindrum
Code Geass (R1, R2, and soon R3)
Fairy Tale
Elfen Lied
FLCL
Excel Saga
School Girls
D.Grey.Man
Kiba
Naruto
Dragon Ball(Sub Only.. Stay away from the horribly produced dub, both US and International versions were horrible..)
FMA/Brotherhood

I can go on forever..
author=KingArthur
As a person of Japanese ancestry and a long-time fan of anime, I find your biased and uncalled-for remarks highly offensive. I kindly ask you to look in the mirror and realize the great irony lurking in your post.

------------------------

Back on topic, I've watched quite a number (read: a lot) of anime; I've been watching since as far as I can remember! Out of them, some recommendations that come to mind would be (in no particular order):
* Yuusha-ou GaoGaiGar
* Nichijou
* Seitokai no Ichizon
* Cardcaptor Sakura
* Detective Conan
* Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai
* Fate/Stay-Night
* Slayers
* Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
* ZOIDS
* Kidou Senkan Nadesico
* Fairy Tail
* Full Metal Panic
* Zero no Tsukaima
* Shakugan no Shana
* Ghost Hunt
* To Aru Majutsu no Index

I'd list more, but the list is already as big as it is. Apologies if I got the AniDB links mixed up. ( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Biased?

I merely stated a few opinions behind the medium.

1. The Japanese depiction of gay men in the popularized 'Yaoi' genre of anime is indeed offensive, and rife with negative stereotypes.

2. Popular Anime very often leads itself to a chauvinistic sexism with oversexualized female characters. Furthermore it is a backwards and anti-feministic approach that the majority of these female characters are squeaky and submissive or either overbearing and obnoxious.

3. Japan does have the fifth-highest suicide rate in the world

Not once did I accuse Japanese people's of holding to these things, only Japanese culture. That is not to say that other country's cultures are not full of problems (Canada has riots over hockey games, and America has Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann). That is also not to say that the some horribly offensive sexism and negative stereotypes of different people's is not apparent in other mediums produced by cultures from all around the world, such as the horrendous over-sexualized reinvention of the Starfire character by DC Comics.

I also never once accused all anime of having these inherent problems, and listed a few that I do enjoy. I did indeed specify that it was not the medium but the industry itself. A little research into the industry and you will find a cold, heartless money-making machine fueled by the root of all evils in mankind, greed. It's something I've done extensive research into and I've come back shaking from the horror of it all.

There are good shows out there, but I did feel the need to express my opinion that the majority of anime is offensive to me. I do not like a culture that squashes the individual in favor of having a collectivist society striving towards a twisted ideal of perfection, nor do I believe in the idea of submissive partners in any relationship, regardless of sexual orientations.

Furthermore, I do not appreciate that there is an entire genre of anime dedicated to selling homosexuality as a product to teenage girls, and not even an accurate depiction of homosexuality, but a bizarre and twisted perversion of it, in which rape is considered a romantic act.

From someone who has dealt with issues of sexual harassment and molestation, and ALSO as a gay man, I find all of these things horrible, and merely because it is a popular medium of entertainment from another culture and country, I feel every right that when I see something as sick and twisted as that, there is a need to say something about it, like I will stand up and say something about any medium that crosses these moral and ethical boundaries I've set up for myself.

I have nothing against the Japanese, and if you'll look through my post, you'll find that there's no traces of resentment for the Japanese people at all. Satoshi Kon, the creator of Paranoia Agent, as well as Susumu Hirasawa are two of my biggest heroes. I'm quite fond of Japanese art and literature, and find their classic history and mythology quite inspiring.

My problem is with these cultural malfunctions and a cold, heartless society that destroys countless lives, daily.
User was warned for this post
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
1. The Japanese depiction of gay men in the popularized 'Yaoi' genre of anime is indeed offensive, and rife with negative stereotypes.
Furthermore, I do not appreciate that there is an entire genre of anime dedicated to selling homosexuality as a product to teenage girls, and not even an accurate depiction of homosexuality, but a bizarre and twisted perversion of it, in which rape is considered a romantic act.
Offensive by what measure? Yaoi and/or yuri may be offensive to you, but clearly it isn't a social problem and has a market seeing its undying popularity as a genre.

Also, I'm not sure where you got that but rape is certainly not viewed with a positive light! It never has been and never will be.

2. Popular Anime very often leads itself to a chauvinistic sexism with oversexualized female characters. Furthermore it is a backwards and anti-feministic approach that the majority of these female characters are squeaky and submissive or either overbearing and obnoxious.
Putting aside your counter-stereotyping of the characters, most of the characters you accuse of being stereotypes are actually well-defined individuals if you care to actually watch the anime they're in. Rarely have I seen the bland stereotypical character you seem to suggest exists.

3. Japan does have the fifth-highest suicide rate in the world
Not directly related to the topic and sounds nothing more than something tacked on for emotional appeal to the masses.

A little research into the industry and you will find a cold, heartless money-making machine fueled by the root of all evils in mankind, greed. It's something I've done extensive research into and I've come back shaking from the horror of it all.
The same biased, uncalled-for allegation can be said about anything. There are plenty of people, from seiyuus (voice actors) to composers, directors, animators, technicians, engineers, script writers, editors, translators, publishers, and a whole myriad of other professionals in the anime industry who take pride in their job and you've done nothing but unjustly label them all as heartless monsters. Obviously, the animation studios and everyone else involved need to make money from their works so they can make a living. If the anime industry was in this simply for greed, anime wouldn't be where it is right now: Loved by many and a source of pride for Japan.

There are good shows out there, but I did feel the need to express my opinion that the majority of anime is offensive to me. I do not like a culture that squashes the individual in favor of having a collectivist society striving towards a twisted ideal of perfection, nor do I believe in the idea of submissive partners in any relationship, regardless of sexual orientations.
It should come as a surprise to you then that a great majority of anime emphasize the exact opposite: Many anime make a point of stating to the audience that each person is special, that effort will always one day manifest itself and to never give up, that everyone will benefit from teamwork and cooperation (even if they're enemies), that one should never (NEVER) leave friends in need, that true friendship lasts for a lifetime, and that love is more than just about making babies.

Anime loves Aesop (and tropes!) much more than you'd think!

From someone who has dealt with issues of sexual harassment and molestation, and ALSO as a gay man, I find all of these things horrible, and merely because it is a popular medium of entertainment from another culture and country, I feel every right that when I see something as sick and twisted as that, there is a need to say something about it, like I will stand up and say something about any medium that crosses these moral and ethical boundaries I've set up for myself.
That's all fine and dandy, but what you're doing is you're pushing your beliefs on other people without just cause. To put it bluntly, the level of hostility you've shown to the anime industry and Japanese culture is unwarranted. You aren't doing anything but creating more animosity.

I'm quite fond of Japanese art and literature, and find their classic history and mythology quite inspiring.
Anime (and by their close relation, manga) are direct descendants of the Japanese culture of olde that you like. Old Japanese art and literature are the direct building blocks of today's anime and manga, and Japanese history and mythology continue to play a key influence in today's anime and manga. On the same line, who knows what Japanese culture will give birth to next?

My problem is with these cultural malfunctions and a cold, heartless society that destroys countless lives, daily.
Japanese society is not as heartless and cruel as you make it out to be. To be fair, Japan has many problems of its own just like any other country or civilization, but open your eyes and you'll see Japan has lots of positive things about it as well.

Not once did I accuse Japanese people's of holding to these things, only Japanese culture.
I have nothing against the Japanese, and if you'll look through my post, you'll find that there's no traces of resentment for the Japanese people at all. Satoshi Kon, the creator of Paranoia Agent, as well as Susumu Hirasawa are two of my biggest heroes.
While I'm sure your intended sentiment of non-hostility is appreciated by the Japanese, in the end you're still criticising them unwarrantedly with a good dash of hostility. People and culture are one and the same; the people make the culture and the culture make the people. I can understand where you are coming from, but I'm going to play devil's advocate and humbly urge you to find a way of making your views known without offending, discrediting, and alienating people in the process!
Nabari no ou - English sub only.
Dont like the englsh version.
Pages: first 123 next last