TACTICS RPGS!

Pages: first 12 next last
Let's get a bit of chatter going over something people enjoy - with an enthesis on what we like rather than dislike about games. What Tactics RPGs would people say is the best they've played and why? It can be any game on any system - with no bashing since this is based entirely on personal favourites :)
I loved Final Fantasy Tactics A2 on the DS. I know it was an easy game but it was still enjoyable. I loved the variety of classes and I actually thought the bazaar system was a good way to pace weapon and armor improvement overall.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 will always have the highest seat of honor in my heart though.
I have played through Disgaea DS and recently tried my hand at FFT, and in the past I tried FFTA.

Disgaea was fun, but man I found grinding/battles to be very tedious a lot of the time. Luckily I was able to beat most of them first time around, and Item World was a p. good place to grind (usually). It had a great story and interesting characters.

FFTA was the first tactics game I ever tried and man...lame. Why would I want to play as some namby-pamby little snots who trot off to Narnia? I stopped playing this game almost immediately.

I bought FFT on the PS3 store after people went on and on about it. The left and right buttons were reversed from what Disgaea's was, and that threw me off. Also, the first couple of battles reminded me just how tedious tactic RPGs can be, so I haven't played it since. (what a waste of $10). I really wanted to like this one, but oh well.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=kentona
I bought FFT on the PS3 store after people went on and on about it. The left and right buttons were reversed from what Disgaea's was, and that threw me off.

This really annoyed me about Disgaea, actually! Because FFT came first.

Both games allow you to switch the axis, though.

In addition to FFT (which is all about the job system, so I'm not surprised the first couple battles feel kinda lame) I'm going to have to point to the Fire Emblem series, which plays like a survival horror TRPG due to permanent deaths and inability to grind, and Breath of Fire 5, which is utterly brilliant but I cannot adequately describe with words.
One of my favorite tactics games is Ogre Tactics for the GBA(SP) (Knight of Ovis). This game calls me back over and over again for a hand held game to take on the go when hauling a computer or a console isn't feasible.
I also like Heroes of Might and Magic IV. The map editor makes it possible to create games in a very easy way and play the various scenarios.
The PSP Tactics Ogre is the shit, homie.
author=grandmothergamer
I also like Heroes of Might and Magic IV. The map editor makes it possible to create games in a very easy way and play the various scenarios.

That part was pretty cool. It reminded me of the city-building game Emperor, where you could also make your own campaigns and scenarios. Both excellent games.
Jagged Alliance 2 probably. Of course I never managed to finish it (I should do that some day), but it "seemed" like the best one. (On the other hand Silent Storm also "seemed" like the best one until very close to the end where it all turned to shit)

So despite me thinking Jagged Alliance 2 is the best one I'm not sure just how much of "why" I can throw in there. There were all the interesting characters to recruit. There was the fairly interesting levels. The unforgiving difficulty (with a number of difficulty levels, where I probably chose the wrong one for my skill level...) The somewhat obscured mechanics (not so much I didn't know what was going on but just enough so it was still exciting and not pure number-crunch).

Silent Storm had all of those (and the really sucky endgame) and it also had dynamically destructible environments. Which added a lot to the gameplay whenever it worked.

The new King's Bounty is also fun.
Fallout 2 kinda counts, right?
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
I would have to say Fire Emblem 6 and Fire Emblem 7, hands down. The characters were simply amazing and the mechanics were simple yet fun. Great music too! (≧▽≦)ノ
author=grandmothergamer

You should be shot. HoMM4 is a travesty.

On the subject of Silent Storm... That game was really neat, but the balance got really whacky once you started getting the mechanized armor (which doesn't take that long). On western-styled TRPGs in general, the Ghost Recon game on 3DS is actually pretty good.

Anyway, for the Japanese-styled ones, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis has exceptional level design, but building an overpowered squad in Final Fantasy Tactics is too much fun. Both are fantastic. Shining Force from the Sega Genesis/Megadrive gets a nod for getting me into the genre, and I recommend snagging it for iOS.

While it's not a TRPG, I think fans of the genre can appreciate a gem called Majesty. It's a RTS/RPG/Kingdom sim thing--I am not entirely sure how to categorize it. You can snag Majesty 2 for $10 on Steam. I guess the "complete" version is $20 but I don't think the expansions are really worth it.
author=Clyve
Fallout 2 kinda counts, right?

Personally I wouldn't count it because in order to be properly tactical you sort of need to control more than one guy (And in FO2 the AI controls your companions). Fallout Tactics is obviously a tactical RPG though.
I'm going to say it because I'm surprised noboday has already - Shining Force 2! Simple but beautifully executed, and for the time so good looking and deep to play. I think I've downloaded or brought every release since picking up the Megadrive (Genesis) original :)
I don't play many TRPGs, though there are one or two that I like.
The Fire Emblem series are pretty fun and you can grind as long as you're careful about it. XP
Another one that has yet to be mentioned is Rhapsodia, or Suikoden Tactics, as it is also known. It's not the best out there, but it was pretty fun.
In fact, most Suikoden games have a tactical part in the wars. They're all a bit different, but it's there.
Trying to work my way through Final Fantasy Tactics before starting Tactics Ogre PSP, since I figured the latter was a lot more polished than the former. The characters in FFT are a lot more likable so far, but the slowdown and weird difficulty curve is kind of putting me off. It also feels like the game isn't balanced very well (archers are weak, magic requires excessive charge time, named characters basically dominate everybody else) so that's a bit of a put-off as well.

Or maybe it's just that in the short time I played Tactics Ogre I was used to putting archers in high positions and firing powerful arrows at 100% accuracy farther than their actual ranges in order to take out enemy parties. Why can't every tactics game be like that? (although Tactics Ogre is crazy hard and complex enough that it's a little intimidating)

EDIT: oh god I think Final Fantasy Tactics might have eaten me this this how it starts?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Actually, in FFT, longbows do get a longer range when they're higher up above the target. The difference is that FFT shows you that extra range, and TO makes you either guess and hope you picked a square within your range, or spend a bunch of time spading the bow range formula and calculating the math manually every turn to see which tiles are within your range. I like FFT's way better.

I do agree it's a little silly you can block an arrow with a shield, but at least guns can't be blocked. (Hint: Try setting Concentrate as your support ability.)
Phantom Brave and pretty much every tactical RPG Nippon Ichi made. Just for being so freakishly creative and unique.
author=Feldschlacht IV
The PSP Tactics Ogre is the shit, homie.

The playstation version is even better! Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is by far the best tactics game I have ever played! Awesome story, multiple routes, and a fun class system!
Pages: first 12 next last