MUAMMAR GADDAFI DEFEATED

Pages: first prev 12345 last
I got the email from Maryam Namazie:

For Immediate Release, 27 October 2011
76 secularists and human rights campaigners, including Mina Ahadi, Nawal El Sadaawi, Marieme Helie Lucas, Hameeda Hussein, Ayesha Imam, Maryam Jamil, Maryam Namazie, Taslima Nasrin, Farida Shaheed, Fatou Sow, and Stasa Zajovic have signed on to a Manifesto for a Free and Secular Middle East and North Africa.

In light of the recent pronouncements of the unelected Libyan Transitional Council for ‘Sharia laws’, the signatories of the manifesto vehemently oppose the hijacking of the protests by Islamism or US-led militarism and unequivocally support the call for freedom and secularism made by citizens and particularly women in the region.

Secularism is a minimum precondition for a free and secular Middle East and for the recognition of women’s rights and equality.

We call on world citizens to support this important campaign by signing on to our petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/world-citizens-defend-a-free-and-secular-middle-east-and-north-africa.

We also ask that supporters click ‘like’ on our Facebook page to support this important campaign: http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Free-and-Secular-Middle-East-and-North-Africa/271164176261820#!/pages/A-Free-and-Secular-Middle-East-and-North-Africa/271164176261820 and Tweet: #freesecularMENA in support of a free and secular Middle East and North Africa.
Manifesto for a Secular Middle East and North Africa

The 2009 protests in Iran followed by the Arab Spring have the potential to herald a new dawn for the people of the region and the world. The protests have clearly shown that people in the region, like people everywhere, want to live 21st century lives.

We, the undersigned, emphasise their modern and human dimension and wholeheartedly welcome this immense and historical development. We are vehemently opposed to their hijacking by Islamism or US-led militarism and support the call for a free and secular Middle East and North Africa made by citizens and particularly women in the region.

Secularism is a minimum precondition for the freedom and equality of all citizens and includes:
1. Complete separation of religion from the state.
2. Abolition of religious laws in the family, civil and criminal codes.
3. Separation of religion from the educational system.
4. Freedom of religion and atheism as private beliefs.
5. Prohibition of sex apartheid and compulsory veiling.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
author=Bonehead11
author=kentona
I am using your double-edge sword. Which is the point I was trying to make.
I never used double edged sword, I merely stated that French military isnt renowned for their successes, then other people started naming military successes of Franks...but according to your logic, real France exists since 1789, so victories and defeats pre 1789 wont count, so even so even more defeats and less victories ratio.
The French military are reknown for their successes "Up until the Franco-Prussian war where they began tasting ceaseless humiliation for the next 70 years" ( Harmonic), this is pretty accurate actually.
I never said France existed since 1789 : "as history goes, there is a before Napoleon, quite a while."
"I just hate when someone is trying to convince me about something he doesn't know a shit about." : I'm French, and happen to have studied a bit of the history of that country (I mean history).

"In news related to the original topic, the Libyan interim government has announced it will be implementing Shariah Law." : oh, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=kentona
I got the email from Maryam Namazie:

For Immediate Release, 27 October 2011
76 secularists and human rights campaigners, including Mina Ahadi, Nawal El Sadaawi, Marieme Helie Lucas, Hameeda Hussein, Ayesha Imam, Maryam Jamil, Maryam Namazie, Taslima Nasrin, Farida Shaheed, Fatou Sow, and Stasa Zajovic have signed on to a Manifesto for a Free and Secular Middle East and North Africa.

In light of the recent pronouncements of the unelected Libyan Transitional Council for ‘Sharia laws’, the signatories of the manifesto vehemently oppose the hijacking of the protests by Islamism or US-led militarism and unequivocally support the call for freedom and secularism made by citizens and particularly women in the region.

Secularism is a minimum precondition for a free and secular Middle East and for the recognition of women’s rights and equality.

We call on world citizens to support this important campaign by signing on to our petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/world-citizens-defend-a-free-and-secular-middle-east-and-north-africa.

We also ask that supporters click ‘like’ on our Facebook page to support this important campaign: http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Free-and-Secular-Middle-East-and-North-Africa/271164176261820#!/pages/A-Free-and-Secular-Middle-East-and-North-Africa/271164176261820 and Tweet: #freesecularMENA in support of a free and secular Middle East and North Africa.

Don't respond it is a nigerian email scam

They will empty your bank account and steal your identity!
i like how someone started yet another "lol french sux at wars" joke and tried to defend it seriously.

edit: uh....what... This is Darken. I think I accidentally hacked psy_wombats somehow.
man that's really weird, I can't seem to recreate that bug
author=Darken
man that's really weird, I can't seem to recreate that bug

Sorry, my fault, I was screwing around with cookies and turns out RMN has a session vulnerability... I'm currently working it out with kentona, shouldn't happen again.
Cute petition.
When it gets some signatures, I'll put beside my Weighted Companion Cube™ plush
One google search brought up all the sources I could want. But for credibility purposes with the skeptics, I chose a mainstream paper. If I had chosen something like Prisonplanet, you'd instead be on my case about "omg wtf conspiracy theory gtfo".

I am not about to get into the Libyan legal structure with you. Most countries with any sort of legal framework have laws that can be traced back to the Magna Carta if you challenge them far enough. I'm well aware that Shariah law has some practical laws and isn't all about subjugation of women and infidels, but if you want to play "this or that % of Shariah Law" then you're doing it alone.

When the new, self-appointed leader struts in front of the world and says "The existing legal framework is no longer relevant. We will be implementing Shariah Law in it's place" then I'm sorry, but that's a barbaric transition no different from "The king says this is how it will be." There are no precedents set in courts, nor are there carefully hand-picked exemptions such as in Iran's implementation. Anybody with a Pocket Shariah Law Handbook can go around punishing anyone anyway they want, as long as they have guns and the other guy doesn't.

And if you want to talk about "bomb the civilians into acknowledging him as their new leader" what do you think these new Libyan leaders just did? Ghaddafi was in power for 40 years and had developed one of the most modern cities on the African continent. He didn't need to bomb anybody.
Besides, NATO was the one with air superiority in this conflict. If Ghaddafi wanted to blow civilians into line, he would've had to resort to suicide bombers or truck bombs. There were no reports of the kind throughout the entire war. Just airstrikes, airstrikes, airstrikes.

And when you make a comment like "The people of Libya", you clearly have no knowledge of the situation :| Go back and read my first post in this thread.
I agree that a move Sharia law is a huge step backwards. I am tired of bronze age justice and morality being implemented and enforced.
Pages: first prev 12345 last