QUESTION FOR THE RMNIANS

Pages: first 12 next last
So say you where looking through newly submitted games and all of a sudden you see a game that look decent but the only way to find out of course is to download it.

but then you see the game is over 1GB in size.

Would you still download the game to check it out or would the large file size make you do a 360 and moonwalk away?
I'd wouldn't even bother with more than 180 and sprint away as fast as I can.
Not even for a game with a style like Oblivion? (without the repetitive dungeons?)
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Only 1GB?

EDIT: Yes, I would download it. 1GB is nothing to me.

EDIT^2: I'm going to stab you with a rusty spork if that's 1GB split over 10 archives downloaded from Megaupload, though.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
It would have to look exta-ordinarily good, but I mean really.
author=KingArthur
Only 1GB?

EDIT: Yes, I would download it. 1GB is nothing to me.

EDIT^2: I'm going to stab you with a rusty spork if that's 1GB split over 10 archives downloaded from Megaupload, though.

No Rapidshare.

No just kidding it's just one file. But apparently I was told RMN can't handle that size so time to strip down the game immensely and release a limited version.

(p.S. Slightly off-topic but RMN has a habit of downloading the sequels before the original game and thus still complain about being confused. lol. Anyway back on topic)
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
yeah, I would not download it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Total number of games I've downloaded that were above 500 MB in size, including commercial games: Over 50

Total number of games I've downloaded that were above 1 GB in size, including commercial games: 12

Number of amateur games I've downloaded that were above 500 MB in size: 6

Number of amateur games I've ever even seen that were above 1 GB in size: 0

I don't instinctively assume that amateur games are lower quality than commercial games. It's just a fact that they are usually smaller because they have simpler graphics and music.
I'm debating whether or not to make my music in MP3 format, so this is good to get feedback on.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Lucidstillness, OGG is a good file size alternative to MP3. If you can get it to work.
author=Lucidstillness
I'm debating whether or not to make my music in MP3 format, so this is good to get feedback on.

Even then it most likely won't be a gig so you have nothing to worry about.

I'm talking about a game with straight MP3, custom graphics and tiles, with hundreds of hours of gameplay with sidequests and a main quest changing based on decisions you make and what you do leading to different and newer areas with cutscenes.

Basically the best you can do without going 3D. Or wating time making 3D tiles.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
There is no file size difference between ogg and mp3. The only difference is that ogg is a free format, while Enterbrain (as well as the company that made whatever music file converter you use) had to pay money to use mp3 format.

What you *can* do to reduce the file size of your music is reduce the bitrate, which is what controls the music's quality. A lower bitrate ogg, or a lower bitrate mp3, will sound worse and take up less space.
author=LockeZ
There is no file size difference between ogg and mp3. The only difference is that ogg is a free format, while Enterbrain (as well as the company that made whatever music file converter you use) had to pay money to use mp3 format.

What you *can* do to reduce the file size of your music is reduce the bitrate, which is what controls the music's quality. A lower bitrate ogg, or a lower bitrate mp3, will sound worse and take up less space.

if your making the sound worse you might as well use Midis since your heading in that direction.
KingArthur
There is no file size difference between ogg and mp3.
128kbps in MP3 isn't the same as 128kbps in OGG, so there actually is if you're using bitrates which provide the same level of quality in OGG and MP3.

OGG keeps very decent levels of quality at lower bitrates compared to MP3, so OGG is definitely the better way to go if you're worried about file size and you can use OGG. AAC would be even better, but sadly RM does not support it.

if your making the sound worse you might as well use Midis since your heading in that direction.
MIDI does not sound bad.
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
Well that guy who is making an exact 2D remake of FF7, that would be over 1 gig, I think.
author=Thiamor
Well that guy who is making an exact 2D remake of FF7, that would be over 1 gig, I think.

Impossible without the cutscenes and the load screens. if it's not FMV then there's no way an exact 2d remake of FF7 is over 1gb. heck the GAME itself isn't 1 GB. The game is only a gig or more via terrible iso compression or psp download.
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
I've seen huge, horrible games go well over a few hundred MB (Rpg Maker games). So the Final Fantasy 2D remake will probably be as high or close to 1 Gig.
1 Gig isn't that much room, mind you. It doesn't take too much to quickly get over it; if you're not being careful enough.
KingArthur
terrible iso compression

An ISO is not a compressed archive file format, it is a sector-by-sector image copy of an optical disk (CD-ROM, DVD, BD, etc.).

Further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image
author=KingArthur
terrible iso compression
An ISO is not a compressed archive file format, it is a sector-by-sector image copy of an optical disk (CD-ROM, DVD, BD, etc.).

Further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

Derp. never said the Iso was a compress file I CLEARLY said that the program used to compress the ISO was BAD.

Nice try though lol.
KingArthur
I CLEARLY said that the program used to compress the ISO was BAD.

So you're saying the resulting ISO will be compressed, right?

Whatever the case, ISO isn't a compressed archive file format and no programs "compress" an ISO unless we're talking about ISO deriatives like .DAA.
Pages: first 12 next last