TOP TEN TOPIC: TV THEME SONGS!

Pages: first 12 next last
Yeah, this is a little campy.

List your top 10 TV show theme songs, or songs that are regularily played in the show.

And don't do something like "I am adding 'Generic Love song #4645' by 'Prefabricated Band #28' because a 1m36s clip of it was played on the O.C. one night". That's not eligible.

I am talking about start (or end) credit theme songs, or theme songs that open up a segment within a TV show (like a particular theme for a segment in a variety show like SNL or Sesame Street or Oprah or something).

..:: Top 10 List of Favorite TV Theme Songs ::..

10. Sesame Street
Sunny days, chasing the- clouds a-way!

9. Futurerama
This is a very catchy diddy.

8. House
This is done by Massive Attack. I can't remember the name of it offhand, but it is a very good.

7. The Flintstones
YabadabaDOO!

6. The Simpsons
This is ingrained on society's psyche...

5. Inspector Gadget
Remember the old cartoon from the 80s? I can never get this theme song out of my head.

4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (circa 1990s)
I luvs the TMNTs.

3. Pinball Theme
1-2-3 4 5 6-7-8 9 10, 11, 12. DO dodo do doo.

2. Kids in the Hall
I love this theme song. So catchy.

1. Transformers (circa 1980s)
More than meets the eye.

*NOTE*

Feel free to post in any of the previous Top 10 topics! Necroposting does not apply to these topics by decree of Junior Executive Vice President kentona ESQ.

Previous Top Ten Topics:
Week 28: Top 10 Favorite Consoles
Week 27: Top 10 Games You'd Like To See On The VC
Week 26: Top 10 Favorite Arcade Genre Games
Week 25: Top 10 Favorite Bands
Week 24: Top 10 Favorite Card Games
Week 23: Top 10 Favorite Songs of the Moment
Week 22: Top 10 Favorite Board Games
Week 21: Top 10 Favorite Comic Books/Series
Week 20: Top 10 Favorite Simpsons Episodes
Week 19: Top 10 Favorite Disney Movies
Week 18: Top 10 Favorite PS2 Games
Week 17: Top 10 Favorite Books (Non-Fiction)
Week 16: Top 10 Favorite Robots
Week 15: Top 10 Favorite Sports
Week 14: Top 10 Favorite Books (Fiction)
Week 13: Top 10 Favorite Xbox Games
Week 12: Top 10 Favorite Christmas Gifts
Week 11: Top 10 Favorite Movies of 2007
Week 10: Top 10 Favorite Nintendo DS Games
Week 9: Top 10 Favorite Gamecube Games
Week 8: Top 10 Favorite Playstation Games
Week 7: Top 10 Favorite Movies
Week 6: Top 10 Favorite PC Games
Week 5: Top 10 Favorite NES Games
Week 4: Top 10 Favorite Comic Strips
Week 3: Top 10 Favorite TV Shows
Week 2: Top 10 Favorite N64 games
Week 1: Top 10 Favorite SNES games
Damnit! I forgot Batman!

duhnuhnuhnuh nuhnuh nuhnuh BATMAN!
Curiously, most of these are from cartoons!

10. Classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Supremely catchy and terrible. It really defines my childhood.

9. Simpsons
I really, really do not like Danny Elfman but this one gets props just for being so iconic. It was also extremely well-scored for the animated intro. Not a lot of TV shows had such good synchronization between the theme and the intro (actually I think Simpsons might be the only one).

8. Futurama
This is a clever theme because it uses MIDI percussion instruments pitch-stretched to play notes when most of the real instruments only have one note. It has an industrial but absurd attitude to it and is really a unique piece of music.

7. Inspector Gadget
This theme has been stuck in my head for 15 years! The theme is a brilliant parody of classic detective soundtracks.

6. King Arthur and the Knights of Justice
Letting evil down! I loved the terrible 90s rock music that preluded so many shows in the 90s.

5. COPS
Whatcha gonna do? The most ridiculous song ever paired with the most ridiculous show ever. This was not an original theme, but it was definitely a well-chosen one.

4. Power Rangers
See entry for #5.

3. Dragon Ball Z (Japanese Version)
What a stupid fucking show. However, not many people realize the Japanese version had a really brilliant jazz soundtrack. It was upbeat and offbeat music that gave the show a different atmosphere -- maybe in Japanese the audience wasn't expected to take it seriously like they are in America.

2. Dexter
I don't know if the theme is original or not, but the show has a really great intro with an appropriate theme. I never skip the intro when watching DVDs of the show even if it's the fifth time I've seen the intro that day -- it's just too perfect.

1. Monk
Man the theme for this is so good. It's one of my favorite pieces of music out there -- no kidding. My girlfriend just goes ballistic when I sing along to the theme because I don't know I think she's tired of it by now. Randy Neuman (one of the most decorated film composers in existence) was hired to write an original theme for the show after season 1, and he really knocked it out of the park. This used to by my favorite show but the last two seasons have been terrible. Regardless, the title theme is still amazing.
COPS! Good one! You're right that the theme fits so perfectly with that show - it's practically iconic.

I also forgot to list Star Trek: The Next Generation. The score for that intro is suited for the theme of noble exploration.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Ah, the forbidden art of classic TV themes.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
1~10: MacGyver

(Click the link, seriously. This is worth watching.)
I always really liked the MASH theme, but that's the only one I can think of. :(
I don't really remember many theme songs for American television shows, save for The Simpsons theme, which I guess everybody knows. Other notable themes I remember are the ones from Tintin and from Batman: the Animated Series.

In terms of Japanese television shows, though, TANK! is incredibly awesome. Also notable are Cruel Angel Thesis from Neon Genesis Evangelion and Asterisk from Bleach.

I guess the Pokemon theme song deserves honorable mention too, because I watched Pokemon a lot more than I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and I'd say that Pokemon was sort of the generational equivalent, but with more monster fights.
Cool topic.

10. Simpsons theme.
9. Stargate SG-1 theme.
8. Futurama theme.
7. Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya theme.
6. Stargate Atlantis theme.
5. Family Guy theme.
4. Mash theme. (classic)
3. American Dad theme.
2. Smallville theme.
1. Batman theme. (everyones favourite)
author=Ciel link=topic=956.msg13035#msg13035 date=1208984767
1~10: MacGyver

Man sometimes I wish these topics were top 800 so that I could include everything that deserves to be mentioned like this.

author=yamata no orochi link=topic=956.msg13053#msg13053 date=1208998895
I don't really remember many theme songs for American television shows, save for The Simpsons theme, which I guess everybody knows. Other notable themes I remember are the ones from Tintin and from Batman: the Animated Series.

In terms of Japanese television shows, though, TANK! is incredibly awesome. Also notable are Cruel Angel Thesis from Neon Genesis Evangelion and Asterisk from Bleach.

Maaaaaaaan you are missing out. TANK! rocks though. But like when you put that up against the MacGuyver theme I think it's pretty obvious which is the higher-brow music.

EDIT: Wow I just watched the video Ciel posted and crapped my pants. That is really an amazing piece of music.
Speed Racer and Underdog.

Really, I could name others, but chances are that anyone who opened that box now will have them both playing in a constant loop in their brains for the rest of their lives.

Also: the Blanks do amazing acappella versions of both.
MASH is the best.

There is no other.

Well, the piano of Trailer Park Boys is pretty nice.
Nobody put the Thundercats theme in?!! lol
Also pretty nifty are:

The God Hand Song (played over the ending credits):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAga2AjfZlg

and the opening for Paranoia Agent, which is basically one of the most disconcerting openings ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anabfAg06U
author=Shadowtext link=topic=956.msg13068#msg13068 date=1209001618
Speed Racer and Underdog.

Really, I could name others, but chances are that anyone who opened that box now will have them both playing in a constant loop in their brains for the rest of their lives.

Also: the Blanks do amazing acappella versions of both.

yeah, i totally forgot to put that show on my list. The speed racer theme is very catchy.
That MacGuyver theme was hilarious (esp the part where he pops out of the box and the part with the snake). My favourite TV theme is probably Danger Bay. The intense music made you think that there was actual danger, a complete kybosh when you realized that there was no action in the show whatsoever.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
In no particular order:

- Ren and Stimpy Show (Dog Pound Hop)
If you grew up in the 90's and don't recall this theme then maybe you didn't have a childhood.
- Pink Panther
Sax
- Battlestar Galactica theme (new series)
Actually I don't think this is the theme, since I haven't watched this series for quite a while, but it's orchestrated so who cares...
- Venture Bros. Theme
Best
- Whichever CSI had "Who Are You" by The Who as the opening theme!
Never cared about the show, but add The Who into a television series and it automatically becomes a little better.
- Slayers TRY opening theme (Breeze)
Megumi Hayashibara is like 50 and still somehow manages to sound like an eight year old girl. Japan is weird.
- Penn and Teller: Bullshit!
This is the opening sequence for the latest season and it got a pretty spiffy brass instrument remix. Both versions are infectiously catchy.
- X Files
Truth is out there, etc. Everybody knows this one.
- Cowboy Bebop (Tank!)
Great song by Yoko Kanno in Watanabe's magnum opus
- Firefly Opening theme
Maybe this theme just seems great because everything about this series was awesome.
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
Ben 10
-I hated the show but the theme song was good.

Pokemon(Original)
-The Original one, I teach you and you'll teach me

Digimon(Original)
-Digimon, digital monsters

One Piece(Rap)
-Sanjis cookin, Choppers Doctorin

Rob and Big
-He's my best friend

TMNT
-It's one shell of a town

Drake and Josh
-its gonna take some time to realize!
DIGIMON has the best theme song. Come on, don't tell me that song hasn't been stuck in your head. I always hated that show though.
Pages: first 12 next last