WHAT FASCINATES YOU THE MOST IN AN RPG?

Pages: first 12 next last
I mean this question in a way to understand deeply the how is the "good feeling" you get when you are playing different types of RPG.
Is it the graphic settings?
Is it the awesome music playing in the background?
The systems in that particular game that makes it unique?
The amazing story line that has blown you away when you played it?
Having the option to go into different story lines throughout game?
What fascinates you the most?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
For me, tactical/strategic challenges in combat. No question.

Atmosphere probably comes in a distant second place. Something with a heavy coolness factor can interest me even if the combat is garbage. Story also definitely has some value. It's obviously linked to atmosphere, and both atmosphere and story each enhance the other. But I think they also each have an intrinsic value.

Music and graphics are really only important to me to the extent that they enhance the atmosphere; they mean nothing to me by themselves. Similarly, unique gameplay systems are only meaningful to the extent that they enhance the feeling of strategic combat.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
The atmosphere, which is largely composed of the storyline, characters, music/SFX, and geographical graphics (ie: maps). I'm instantly hooked if something has lovable characters, awesome music, and memorable graphics. Though not a requirement, I won't mind a very good plot to complement it either.

Fun and intuitive gameplay comes a close second, because I need to be able to play the RPG and have fun if I'm going to get anywhere, but it's only second place because not even the world's best gameplay will save horrific writing.

EDIT: Grammar fix.
The fuzzy feeling I get when I get quests and can solve them in multiple different ways. And I see all the options open to me and the fact that I can actually roleplay a character and decide the fate of numerous people. "Will I play a racist bastard that slaps dwarves around?" "Will I be smooth with the ladies?" "Will I go on a murderous rampage in this little town just because the inn doesn't sell wine?"

It's the openness. Just like in tabletop RPGs where I've made my character and now the adventure really starts and it really can go anywhere.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Kombosabo
I mean this question in a way to understand deeply the how is the "good feeling" you get when you are playing different types of RPG.
Is it the graphic settings?
Is it the awesome music playing in the background?
The systems in that particular game that makes it unique?
The amazing story line that has blown you away when you played it?
Having the option to go into different story lines throughout game?

All of the above. <3 Although I don't really care about that last factor, as long as the single storyline's a good one, Also, what King Arthur said regarding writing and gameplay.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't think "all of the above" is really an acceptable or useful answer when he's asking you what you enjoy most.

If you don't enjoy anything more than anything else, then does that mean your enjoyment of a game is sheerly dependent on how many of the above things are done well in a game? Is it an even scale, or an exponential scale where one thing being 50% better is worth as much as all six things being 25% better, or a diminishing scale where one thing being 50% better is worth as much as all six things being 1% better? Come on, you can't just think every game that does anything good is the best game ever.
Party/character customization and growing in strength.
Not much thats why I like action adventure games with RPG elements. The character growth is definitely one of them, if I am allowed to make more than one archetype I would be more likely to replay the game.
The plot and storyline are the most important to me. If the story is stupid, I'm going to stop playing the game.

The pace of the game is very important too. If the game is too slow (ie long cutscenes, long battles, too large of spaces between areas) I'm going to lose interest pretty fast. On the other hand if the game is too fast (small dungeons, easy boss battles, lack of exploration), it gets boring just as fast.

After that I'd say character growth, battle systems, graphics and music.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
One of the aspects about RPGs that interested me was the feeling of empowerment with progression. Getting stronger and more in tuned to the games combat and other system mechanics that comes with time spent moving forward.

Fighting monsters/fiends that before would almost kill you to making them your bitch. That strength(sometimes) being shown in the story from character growth.
author=Jude
Party/character customization and growing in strength.

I am a huge sucker for this.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
How to put it : there's "soul" in there or there isn't, if there is, it'smostly due to dialogues and pacing (also gameplay, quite a bit). The music and graphics add, but are rather secondary.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Lots of customization, gameplay and feeling/theme.

h0nk.
Having a good amount of options right from the beginning is enough for me to get hooked, at least until the story and atmosphere are set (if these suck, I'll stop playing no matter what), like starting with 3-4 characters, each having a few skills and special abilities, already available customization, etc.
Otherwise if the pace is slow I'll hate the game.
Yellow Magic
author=LockeZ
Come on, you can't just think every game that does anything good is the best game ever.

IMO the best RPGs are those which do "all of the above"...better than other RPGs.

Although if I were really pushed for an answer I'd say atmosphere probably means the most to me in an RPG, because regardless of branching gameplay elements or a plot brimming with clever philosophical ideas, if I feel the game has no "soul" I'm not really interested.
Yellow Magic
wow I haven't had a double post in a while
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=LockeZ
For me, tactical/strategic challenges in combat. No question.

Atmosphere probably comes in a distant second place. Something with a heavy coolness factor can interest me even if the combat is garbage. Story also definitely has some value. It's obviously linked to atmosphere, and both atmosphere and story each enhance the other. But I think they also each have an intrinsic value.

Music and graphics are really only important to me to the extent that they enhance the atmosphere; they mean nothing to me by themselves. Similarly, unique gameplay systems are only meaningful to the extent that they enhance the feeling of strategic combat.

Exactly for me. If combat in FF12 had have been half as good as the atmosphere, music etc... I would have played more of it/beat it. If the combat doesn't stack up, the game is just shit regardless of any other winning feature.
Game first, story/everything else second.
numbers and plot, everything else is irrelevant
I like the change of activity present in most RPGs. Typically there's towns and dungeons which offers me a variety of things to do. Then some also have side-quests which I may or may not choose to do.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Oh and battle system is probably the most important.
If all you get to do is bash Attack command and rarely, even learn a skill (that likely takes all MP away and MP restoration items are scarce and expensive) then I'll likely just stop playing the game and delete it, unless I steal some sprites from it.

h0nk.
Pages: first 12 next last