WHAT OTHER GENRES/GAMES DO YOU LIKE/PLAY THAT AREN'T RPGS?

Pages: first prev 12 last
author=thernz
With the recent Castlevanias, I wish they would just take away the RPG mechanics, heh. Probably the biggest detriment to the games besides level design.

How so?
So about Tower Defense games there was a new one that came out recently that in my mind totally stands out. Its on Steam it has a main character that seems a lot like Ache from Evil Dead. It looked great and easy to use.

Other than that Fat Princess or Plants vs Zombies.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
author=Feldschlacht IV
author=thernz
With the recent Castlevanias, I wish they would just take away the RPG mechanics, heh. Probably the biggest detriment to the games besides level design.
How so?

Symphony of the Night is glaring at you.
Which is one of the best games of all time, yes.
Yeah CastleVanias are good, especially on Game Boy Advance. I've never played Symphony of the Night. I also like Castlevanias 1,2,3,Super... but not Dracula X. I also have some Castlevania for X-Box. Played it twice... never gonna play it again.
A list of my more recent purchases provides some more specific insight into my tastes:

Heroes of Might and Magic 6
Gears of War 3
Uncharted 3
Batman: Arkham City
Frozen Synapse

Preorders:
Skyrim
Zelda: Skyward Sword

I have no time for any of this shit, though. Out of the lot, I've beaten half of the campaigns in HoMM6 and am almost finished with Arkham City. Uncharted 3 and Gears of War 3 are still in their plastic wrap.
I know how that goes Jude... I have plenty of games that I haven't played yet. God Of War 2 is still unopened. Arkam Assylum isn't opened. Half Life 2 isn't opened. So many games to beat so little time. I'm working through the Half Life 1 expansion packs right now.
Orcs Must Die... that's the tower defense game that stands out from the pack.
A few noteworthy mentions on my end:

Sam and Max
Age of Empires
Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
Fuck yes Sonic Generations owns so fucking hard. It's a fine evolution of what they started with Unleashed and I hope it means the Sonic cycle is broken and discarded.

There's no real genre of game that I buy into anymore. I just go for fun games. Platformers, action, puzzle, brawler, strategy, adventure, whatever. I just go in and try to have fun. Except fighting and racing games, I just can't manage to click with those games as well. Even with buddies and drinks I'm usually the first to end up in spectator mode.
And it only took that evolution a decade. Better late than never...
Little Big Planet is a pretty fun game, but aside from RPG's I really only play NHL 12 and Super Smash Brothers Brawl. I used to be a huge civ III fan back in the day too but I haven't played that in a few years.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=yamata no orochi
Visual novels. (Don't laugh)

Seriously, though--look past the crappy/pandering/hilariously not-safe-for-work ones and there's a handful that are kind of amazing. A few examples are Sekien no Inganock (which is basically Perdido Street Station meets Revolutionary Girl Utena), Ever17 (LOST meets the Poseidon Adventure, except they actually have an answer for everything) and CROSS CHANNEL (one of the best character studies I've ever read, in any medium.) They require the patience of a saint but when they're good, they can be pretty brilliant.

Otherwise I guess I don't aim so much for different genres as for quirky stuff across genres--i.e. Okami, Immortal Defense, Treasure games, strategy/bullet hell hybrids...
Me too! I've recently been replaying Umineko Chiru in preparation of the translation of EP8 and am loving it. Ever17 is also a classic that I wish more people would play. I started CROSS+CHANNEL but I just couldn't get into it. I think I'm still on the intro, but it just hasn't sold me yet.

Also, there are some NSFW VNs that are worth playing - for example, Tsukihime and Fate/stay Night. Ahh, I wish I could play both of them again for the first time.
PLATFORMERS :)

in fact platformers are my favorite genre. 3D platformers—when done RIGHT like (mostly the mario games)—are my absolute favorite games to play. in fact I very rarely play RPGs—they're usually pretty boring. when I play a game I want something with lots of gameplay, lots of interaction—and that usually comes in the form of platforming.

I also am not a multiplayer kind of guy, which helps feed the platforming as my favorite genre. I play games for myself, so fighting games or online stuff don't really appeal to me.

my favorite game of all time is Mario Galaxy 2.
author=Despain
3D platformers—when done RIGHT like (mostly the mario games)—are my absolute favorite games to play.

Playing out of retrospect I really loved SM64. Mainly because Mario is so flexible (backflips, triple jumps, side hops, sliding, etc.). Wondering if you know any 3D platformers with that level of complexity.
author=Darken
Playing out of retrospect I really loved SM64. Mainly because Mario is so flexible (backflips, triple jumps, side hops, sliding, etc.). Wondering if you know any 3D platformers with that level of complexity.

Mario64's sequels—Sunshine, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are all basically the same but just keep getting better and better. They're all excellent games.

Also Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong64 all have the same core gameplay as Mario64 (in a good way!!).
author=Sailerius
I started CROSS+CHANNEL but I just couldn't get into it. I think I'm still on the intro, but it just hasn't sold me yet.

Finish it!

No, really. It is hilarious and disturbing and heartrending and will probably put you into a state of existential despair by the end. Not to mention that the writing is actually pretty great (in comparison to so many other visual novels) and the protagonist might be the single most psychologically complex character I've encountered in a videogame.

It appears a little innocuous at the start, but know that by its end it tears to pieces just about every other visual novel cliche that it sets up. I'd say more but honestly it's one of those games (like Ever17) that you really aren't allowed to spoil. For what it's worth, I actually liked it better than Ever17. The plot isn't as flashy or tightly-written, but the pacing is better and the cast is probably a lot more interesting.
In recent years, I've been VERY into fighting games. Yes, I mean the professional scene, where everyone plays with arcade sticks and is EXTREMELY good. Ironically, I've never been to one of those heavily commercialized tournaments nor do I have an arcade stick. I'm just getting into and following the community.

Other than that (and RPGs) I don't really have preferences other than action and/or adventure games. Just picked up the newest Zelda, too.

The only genres I generally dislike are first person-perspective games; I want to be able to see my character, not pretend that the character is me or some shit. I think that's horribly overrated. I'm also sick of seeing heavily action-packed shooting games, first or third person. Enough is enough. The market is so over-diluted with first-person shooters its depressing.

Course, there are a few of the exceptions: I enjoyed Borderlands and Fallout: New Vegas. I'd also like to try Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I didn't know that series was a RPG series until I actually watched some videos lol.

And, it may come to no surprise since I actually come to this site, but I don't like the direction that modern RPGs are taking. I'm not saying the classic, "obsolete", turn-based battle system is what I miss (even though I do), but it seems that RPGs nowadays are just a shooter or an action game where your character can learn skills, gain EXP, and has other RPG staple attributes. To me, most modern RPGs are missing one vital element that I wish I could see more of: battles of knowledge/wit. I want to be able to stop and take AS MUCH TIME AS I WANT to decide my strategy while still technically being in a combat situation. Though, I guess that's not what the rest of the world wants.
the last non-RPG game I played extensively was Tekken 6.

I've always loved fighting games. Although I always get stuck in some sort of limbo with them... I get to a point where I could beat all of my real-life friends with my eyes closed, but then I play online and get my ass handed to me in a doggy bag.
Pages: first prev 12 last