WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

I'm thinking that I should make some time to develop a game. :P
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Ilan14
All you have to do is believe, then you will see everything.

Do or do not, there is no think!

Okay I'll stop haphazardly quoting (and badly paraphrasing) blockbuster one liners and get to whatsit I been workin' on.

A LOT, systems have recently become operational for Perseverance: Adherence, and development is in full swing, for example, in the hide tags below is a face set, character portrait and sprite for Svoli, one of the characters in the game.

3/14 is alos coming up, which is a big date for me virtually always since 2011 (not including 2012 shhh) and the reason for that is simple.

Hm, on trying to explain it in short briefness, I realized it actually isn't so simple, so nevermind that for now.

Point is, it merits me making lots of cool stuff (which I like doing) to celebrate, with not only friends and my employees, but with whoever else in the cyberverse wants to as well. And this year man have we got some victories to talk about.

Gonna get back to working on the video for it soon, for now here's a link to an older one which covers in 7 minutes or less why 3/14 is special to me and maybe other people.

certainly, there's a lot more I could show, but it seems we are out of time. I've got a job to do.
author=BizarreMonkey
author=Ilan14
All you have to do is believe, then you will see everything.
I know it sounds like a cat poster, but it's true.

Anywho, I am thinking:
How hard do I punch?
How do I Turn Order?
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I seem to have this cycle where I'm maybe 6d4 (6-24) months OFF of RPG Making, then maybe 2d6 (2-12) months on. This makes it real hard to get anything done.

The fact that when I come back from my up-to-two-years hiatus, I will almost certainly want to work on something completely different from whatever unfinished product I abandoned when the RM interest tide was waning might make ever finishing anything close to actually impossible.

I guess I could purely make myself work on RPG Maker, not enjoying one minute of it. But I don't do that for things that don't pay money. And I don't see myself starting. Actually, it's been years since I've even done shit-work for a job. My ability to force myself to spend time on any kind of drudgery without a real and immediate benefit for me is severely atrophied. I manage to exercise sometimes, because I don't want my body to die. And I clean my environment because I like to be tidy. But that's about it.

I seem to be transitioning into an "off" phase now. Haven't worked on RM in a month, showing way more interest in using my free time (which is close to all my time) on other things, etcetera. If I was naive to this cycle, I would think "finally, I have outgrown RPG Maker and am going to do something worthwhile* with my time". But I have seen the pattern before and I know the overwhelming likelihood is that in about like a year or two...

* I have given the better part of 15 years of my life to RPG Maker, so obviously I must actually consider it to be worthwhile, on some level. I am turning 29 soon and I feel unbelievably old. I have been an RPG Maker since I was 13 or 14. On PSX RPG Maker before I found RM2k. I feel inconceivably ancient. But the weird thing is, the older I get, the less ashamed I feel about having given the better portion of my life to making vidyagames in a "toy" engine. Maybe that's because the "toy" engine's collective output just keeps getting more and more impressive and respectable as the years crawl by.
Skimming your post Max, but don't feel too old. I've been involved with RPG Maker for the last 12 years myself. Even when I started though, there were people around the community older than we are now. The only reason to be ashamed is if your 15 years of RPG Making haven't resulted in anything worth sharing.

...I feel like my 12 years has resulted in far too little. I need to make something. I want it to be my dream project but the scope for it has settled with too many art assets for me to finish any time soon and I'm afraid of botching it anyway. I think I need to "level up by making lots of shitty games first" but do I have the time for that? Am I even capable of having simple throwaway ideas I could work with? Somebody help I don't know what I'm doing and what scares me most is realizing that I never have.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=meustrus
I think I need to "level up by making lots of shitty games first" but do I have the time for that? Am I even capable of having simple throwaway ideas I could work with? Somebody help I don't know what I'm doing and what scares me most is realizing that I never have.

haha I reckon you're fine. And besides, you don't have to make lots of shitty games, you can makes lots of games, and then you figure out when you make them if they're shitty or not. Because often you don't really know until you make them. Some fantastic games, even classics, have been made for a month-long contest. So maybe you should just set a deadline for yourself and create something and see how it goes. It can't be too bad, right?
I am thinking about Weapons, Abilities, Drones, Equipment oh my!

For all you guys who like designing weapons and abilities and such, but loathe to actually implement them, now's your time to shine! Battledome needs you!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Oh that would be me

brt
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't like when my game server crashes in general. But if I had to pick, please give me the crashes that make the game come back on its own automatically after it goes down, instead of the ones that make the game re-crash itself automatically after I manually bring it back up.
I'm thinking about...the happiness that comes from having just put up the latest beta release of my game (now up to chapter 4 of 5)... http://rpgmaker.net/games/2693/ ... shameless plug but I have actually been thinking about that...
sinn
the original sinn
Can anyone explain to me the logic on 2d isometric game's path finding and coordinate system?

what should we do to change the x,y, and z to make turn the gameplay field into isometric space or dimetric?
LockeZ
It sounds like you need a college degree in game design more than you need a forum topic where people ponder about RPG Maker. Either that or I'm seriously overthinking your questions.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Yeah, like, OK. The path finding system for a 2D isometric game should be straightforward if you've got the engine to begin with? Are you trying to use a script that's made for RPG Maker or are you creating an isometric engine from scratch? Sometimes it pays to be more specific. Or maybe simpler. For example - are there tools for creating an isometric game? That would probably be a simpler question, but it might not be the one you're asking. I'm about as confused as LockeZ.
LockeZ
It sounds to me like he's asking how to develop an isometric game engine from scratch.

Step 1: Don't ask in the RPG Maker forums.
I'm going to try to bring this back.

I'm currently thinking about putting in an alternate skill progression system into my game. I don't want to do the 'Level Up=New Skills' route, but I do like the Skill Line from Xenosaga and the Talent Trees from Dragon Age 2, so I'm thinking of implementing something like that into my game.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
okay the trees in xenosaga 1, the (ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE) boxes from 2, or the literal lines from 3? because 3 was great, 1 was okay, 2 was terrible
author=Craze
okay the trees in xenosaga 1, the (ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE) boxes from 2, or the literal lines from 3? because 3 was great, 1 was okay, 2 was terrible

Yeah, I meant the 3rd one! I really liked the Skill Line from 3.
unity
You're magical to me.
Is it horrible and really lazy of me that I'm considering importing a silent ogg file called "Move" into the sound effects files of my games so when I use the Quick Event Creation: Transfer in VX Ace that I won't have to go and delete the line "Play SE: Move" every time?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I usually have common events and such tied to teleports so I never use that command anyway. I just copy and paste a master event. =|

It's great for DQ-likes but not for much else, haha.
LockeZ
If you don't want the sound effect there's no reason to use the quick event creation. All it does is create two event commands, a teleport and a sound effect. Useless. It doesn't even create a round trip, not that I'd trust it to know where to put the return teleports.

Well, it's useful when you've just bought RPG Maker an hour ago, and don't know how event commands and conditions work yet. Lets you play your maps without learning how to make events. That's about it though.