WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

I'm planning how to script a "paper doll" system, I want changing someone's armour to mean them looking different.

I also want to be able to generate new sprites with a couple of lines of code to minimise the long term effort involved in having a large cast.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Put a "Memory of General Leo" boss fight in front of Leo's grave in Thamasa, as a Memorial Day holiday event in the Unofficial Squaresoft MUD. It'll be gone tomorrow, like most holiday events. Can't decide if this is tacky or not. Too late now.

Everybody seems to like the new chocobo stuff we added last week. Have to keep adding more and more spots to find eggs because nobody can seem to find any. Chocobo racing is like some kind of freaking text based mario kart and it's absolutely 100% absurd, I'm so happy with it.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
it's tacky but it's also the unofficial squaresoft mud so i dunno what people are expecting

next year have an event where you play sephiroth killing aeris but then TWIST he is really sad about it and the rest of your activities for the day are interspersed with his thoughts going "killing women for personal gain/religious dogma is bad :< "
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I already have a Sephiroth event on Mother's Day!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
...well that makes sense
Although,many people are already working on something, why not have an event where everyone can participate to make a mini rpg or game? It would be small, short, and have a simple concept that could be cleared in an hour or less. There are benefits of this exercise such as...

• A confidence boost in finishing a project

• Experimentation of your chosen engine

• Exploration of many different concepts

• Maker Score(of course if its allowed)

• A handful of small games you can play when the event ends

Of course, this would have to gain permission from the Bosses here, but I think it would be a fun event. Or, is there already something like that here that I'm not aware of?

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
@XBuster: Well, there is a poll regarding RMN's 10th anniversary that might fit that bill...
Ah, I see. Now, this sounds like a lot of fun. Going to vote now. There is one particular idea I have for the Bangers and Smash, but it looks like its on the lowest end of the totem pole.

Ive been working on my galaxy map today.
This shows all worlds in the current galaxy and shows a list of the worlds with their procedural names(the name creation still needs a little work) when its finished it will show the texture of the world on each world instead of being block color(assuming you have discovered the world)
The whole thing needs a lot of work yet and is still not functional to navigate the worlds.
@grindalf Are you making a Space RPG? Or maybe something like Elite? Or is it a more normal RPG but with multiple worlds? Whichever way it looks like an awesome start - what engine are you working in?

As for what I'm thinking about... Should I add the ability to rotate the camera to my combat engine? (If I do it will be 4 camera angles only as I'm using 4 directional sprites.)

@Rhuan Its a procedurally generated retro fantasy rpg so normal rpg with multiple worlds.
LockeZ
Anyone who puts a Level 5 Death spell in their game has just given up on game design.
I am wanting to create a game in the same vein of the old Lunar JRPGs on the PSX. I really fell in love with SSS and Eternal Blue Complete. And it was obe of my dreams to make something just like it, especially after the affront to it's fan that Dragon Song was. I felt the series deserved a much better send off than that steaming, stinking, greasy, pile of bull crap... :|
Marrend
Been thinking about how my Gaymak entry ends. I think I want two different endings. One is to talk to the blatant cameo character and go the bosses-on-parade route. The other... I'm still trying to figure that out!
While I wait for Trihan to get back to me on my pm I sent, I've been working on vharacter ideas and design for my Lunar fan game. I've got most of my characters written out roughly and a character sketch done for the main character. I still need to put down design notes and points for my last PC and work on secondary characters and the main villain, and begin writing the story out in earnest. After that I need to work on maps. I'll probably use a few maps from the original 2 games but will probably need to put out some original level layouts and maps myself. After that I need to finish adding items and skills for characters and try to get sprites out... *phew* ×o×
In the six years that I've known RPG Maker, I did never finish an actual project. However, my time in the community did allow me to know the difference between good and bad projects. Even though it may not be that exceptional, I want to finish a RTP-Only project with no more than three hours of gameplay.

Hunger and thirst as status effects. Multiple entrances to dungeons that change depending on the order you enter such dungeon. Certain common items that can be used to open secret passages and the such, etc, etc, etc.

There's only one map actually "done" and that would be the entrance to the first dungeon (Underground Ruins). Cliche stuff, abandoned building amidst a hilly forest, pfft.
Marrend
Am I a weird person for changing the button to fast-forward text for Yanfly's Messaging system to "Control", rather than leaving it at "Shift"?

Am I even weirder for noticing that combat messages never seem to fast-forward with that button-press, and being really annoyed by that?

Am I even weirder for setting up...

class Scene_Battle < Scene_Base
  def show_fast?
    # Small hack to include YEA's Messaging system's text-skip-button in
    # combat.
    Input.press?(:A) || Input.press?(:C) || Input.press?(YEA::MESSAGE::TEXT_SKIP)
  end
end

...this hack?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I'm surprised Shift is the default key considering it's already mapped to the dash function. It's so easy to run up to an NPC and accidentally skip the first couple boxes.

I map it to S since it makes sense to map a key to the first letter of a function.
I was thinking that sometime in the future, I'd gather a team or small community to create a "Platform Heroes" crossover project. Lately, the industry has been blowing out platformers like no tomorrow with titles such as Mario Odyssey,Shantae,Shovel Knight,Sonic Forces and Mania,Crash N.Sane Trilogy, and several other titles.

So, what if...we gathered 2D,pixel styled sprites and worlds of these characters and compacted them into one big adventure? Don't know the story or anything yet, but imagine characters from well-known and obscure platform titles working together to defeat a gang of villains that have joined up from their worlds?

For game play, each style would play like their respective origins, but level designs would be built so that everyone can make it through each one. However, there will be various alternating paths that only specific characters can take with their given abilities;perhaps to get an item or unlock a new gateway.

For possible character lineups I was thinking of these for both heroes and villains...
  • Mario-Bowser
  • Yoshi-Baby Bowser
  • Sonic-Dr.Eggman
  • Mega Man-Dr.Wily
  • Mega Man X-Sigma
  • Donkey Kong-King K.Rool
  • Rayman-Mr.Dark
  • Sparkster-King Gedol
  • Ristar-Kaiser Greedy
  • Kirby-King Dedede
  • Wario-Captain Syrup
  • Shantae-Risky Boots
  • Shovel Knight-The Empress
  • Shion-Bio Meka
  • Asha-Fear Incarnate
  • Crash Bandicoot-Neo Cortex
  • Alex Kidd-Asura
  • Princess-Wizard
  • Simon Belmont-Dracula
  • Samus-Ridley
  • Popful Mail-Nuts Cracker
  • Pit-Medusa
  • Link-Dark Link(Yes,Zelda 2 was a platform game)

Ok, at this point, this list is getting big. There are too many platformers out there and some are debatable of being a bit similar, so we may have to pick one character to represent a franchise. I want to make sure each character has one unique skill and play style. Perhaps we'll narrow it down if the project comes to light. So, what do you all think? Is this too far-fetched, or something that you'd be interested in seeing?

I'm having trouble with a game I want to make. It's a remake of an old game I finished years ago (that will NEVER see the light of day.) I've got two iterations of the same story. The first iteration is a science fantasy with religious undertones. And the second iteration is near enough the same story with all the religion and mysticism stripped away leaving a pure sci-fi story.