WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

unity
You're magical to me.
author=AtiyaTheSeeker
Basically, the idea's inspired two games -- Dark Cloud and Kid Icarus: Uprising -- as well as a quickie tabletop game's mechanics I'm working on. Plus, the fact that I feel just having the same weapons, different ATK is boring, and that it's troubling that weapons with cool properties get replaced by stronger weapons without those properties in JRPGs. So... what do y'all think? Good idea? Bad idea? Okay idea?

I like that idea a lot, as it feels rarer to find games with real choices aside from "which weapon is strongest." If it's balanced where each weapon provides an advantage depending on your preferred method of play, I think it would be a lot of fun.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
You really do probably want some sort of upgrades as the game goes on, because it helps the pacing in a lot of ways. For one thing, it gives the player an immediate concrete goal for power they need to obtain – "get this upgrade" instead of "get as many experience points as you can until you get bored of grinding experience points." For another thing, it limits the effectiveness of grinding, and therefore encourages the player to do less repetitive, more enjoyable parts of the game. The player feels less need to gain a bunch of levels before moving on if he or she knows there are less mind-numbing ways to become more powerful.

If you like the idea of getting more and more options as the game goes on without ever losing any of the old options - and I can understand why you would - consider making the weapons upgradable. A simple sharpening system like Suikoden or Secret of Mana would work fine - you can pay gold in each new town to improve your weapons, and it's possible to just improve all of them. Maybe you need to find certain items before you can do the upgrades, though. Or rescue the traveling blacksmith, who gets kidnapped and imprisoned in a monster-filled dungeon by a different ex-wife of his in each town. Or whatever.
author=Mr_Detective
Where do you guys get the battlebacks for your games? Are they custom made or do you just take a picture of the current map and use them for the background? :O

This went on unnoticed. :(

By the way, do RPGs necessarily need to have critical hits?
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=Mr_Detective
By the way, do RPGs necessarily need to have critical hits?

Noooooope! In fact, before adding critical hits (or removing them) I would consider thinking about what they accomplish in terms of gameplay and player-fun.

My personal opinion is that traditional RPG critical hits (SMAAAAASH, you did 3000 damage!), beside the momentary excitement of seeing a huge number, aren't terribly interesting. And yea, the sound effect and extra-awesome feeling of a critical hit can be fun, but I think the complete lack of player control over when and how they happen (usually) makes them less satisfying than a situation the player does control.

THAT BEING SAID, moves like Deathblow from FF7 - 50% chance to miss or 50% chance to crit - are often a lot of fun, because they feel like gambling, and because the player chooses to take that risk, unlike a normal critical hit, where there's really no choice involved.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Current projects:

• An SMBX game where you control princess peach peach who's been stranded on an island of yoshis and must find a way back home. Unsure if this will be a thing that happens because I am lazy.

• RPG Maker VX game where you play as a band of thieves who get caught up in the political drama that is the demon overlord coming to take over the world. Hero nowhere to be seen. Will likely be completely RTP and not that good because I paid 60 bucks for those resources, I'll be damned if I ain't usin' 'em. How do you people make RPGs you have to plan EVERYTHING.

• Making an SMBX level for a level-judging contest which is currently coming along swimmingly. The gimmick is harmful freezing water that turns into safe ol' ice. Used as a puzzle element mainly. Also includes fabulous dancing demons.

• Possibly a collab SMBX project that is completely 8-bit, styled after the original Mario Bros. games. I started working on a few levels for it months ago and want to make more if I ever find the time.

• Zelda Classic game that plays similarly to the original Zelda 1 but with a few added features courtesy of the engine. The goal is just to make something fun to play without being that innovative or anything. Dungeon design is easy, what's hard is figuring out what items to give out, when, and how to make the dungeons interesting. Also world map making in Zelda Classic is very difficult because you've only got so much space.

But now that I'm starting school up again WHO KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN?!?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Isreiri, you need to submit some levels for the Last King of Hyrule event. We still need like 15-20 more levels. Come on come on come on I know you want to

(other people need to also, we had a lot of people sign up but never do anything)
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Isrieri
  • Possibly a collab SMBX project that is completely 8-bit, styled after the original Mario Bros. games. I started working on a few levels for it months ago and want to make more if I ever find the time.

• Biggest roadblock I found for this is that SMBX graphic size for super mario is shorter compared to SMB1 super mario, though maybe you can edit some pixels if it doesn't bother you that much. I originally wanted Neo Retro Super Mario to be in that 8-bit style, as well. I say go for it anyway.

As for me:
    Pokemon RMN Version - Deciding how to handle the contributor trainers for this game, though honestly I'm not as worried about this compared to the maps and overall progression of the game. I've made maps all the way up to Trestile Town right now, but a majority of them have incomplete npc events, door events, etc. and I figured I'll worry about that after I have the basic layout of each map finished.

I've also discovered that there are certain berries in the starter kits data that don't have any direct effects on Pokemon (Razz berries, for instance) and I'm thinking of handling them similar to poffins or pokeblocks, but they won't be related to any side game. Instead, I could maybe use them for changing a pokemon's nature or something. That'll be different and will give the player the option to have better control over their pokemon team.

Neo Retro Super Mario Bros. - I recently went back to this project, now that the Pokemon RMN version event has settled down a little bit more. The last things I need to add are the cutscene levels and credits levels, and that's where I am thinking about how exactly to handle those. It might just be a matter of me getting off my butt and just doing them, though. I'm trying to study how Talking Time did their cutscenes in smbx.
Doggie Dayz Full - So far I've got the basic plot and all the areas worked out. Also redoing a few of the graphics so the main characters look a tad more unique. I can't figure out those hellish water tiles though, since converting 2k3 water tiles to VX format is the worst. help.

Also dunno how I'm going to balance the Ring system, since in the original a few of them are horridly broken. (Like the Triple Ring)

My personal opinion is that traditional RPG critical hits (SMAAAAASH, you did 3000 damage!), beside the momentary excitement of seeing a huge number, aren't terribly interesting. And yea, the sound effect and extra-awesome feeling of a critical hit can be fun, but I think the complete lack of player control over when and how they happen (usually) makes them less satisfying than a situation the player does control.

THAT BEING SAID, moves like Deathblow from FF7 - 50% chance to miss or 50% chance to crit - are often a lot of fun, because they feel like gambling, and because the player chooses to take that risk, unlike a normal critical hit, where there's really no choice involved.

I wouldn't call it a "complete" lack of player control. In most games I can think of, critical hits are linked to some stat such as "Luck", which means all you have to do to increase your critical hit rate is build your character/equipment around that stat(s). This can be a lot of fun in games that allow you to go as high as 50%-100% critical hit rate... In the other hand, skills like "Deathnlow" are essentially a waste of time, no matter how you slice it. It's preferable to do normal damage all of the time, than no damage half of the time.

But yeah, it's fun when you have more control. Like in Mario RPG, where you can do extra damage by pressing a button at the right time.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I think I might try getting the Wand of Blasting to work the way I want to again. I probably want to figure out how the movement pattern is supposed to happen before getting into the whole "do stuff with events at a distance" thing I would want it to do.
iirc the FF7 Deathblow's accuracy is a third of the character's normal accuracy for double damage (or a guaranteed crit?). It isn't a flat chance to miss and you can get weapons with 255% accuracy so the odds of doing more damage aren't that bad.
Thinking about making the new survival horror game(rpg), Sweet Mares using RPG maker Xp. I am going to apply same game mechanics from my previous horror game.

But this time, I will have some cookies and Gingerbread man as the main villains. Now creating a map tileset that made from sweet things (table made from cracker, wall made from cake, etc). XD
I am wondering how one would make MP automatically restore itself after every battle...
Should I make a thread for asking this question, because that feels slightly unnecessary...
LockeZ
If you don't wanna use a script, you would have a common event that runs when a battle ends. There are like a million different ways to detect when a battle ends. The way I'd do it is to check in a parallel process common event if $scene.is_a?(Scene_Battle) and then turn on a switch if so. And if not, check to see if the switch is on, and if it's on then you know that a battle occured and ended. So you can do all your after-battle stuff.
author=LockeZ
If you don't wanna use a script, you would have a common event that runs when a battle ends. There are like a million different ways to detect when a battle ends. The way I'd do it is to check in a parallel process common event if $scene.is_a?(Scene_Battle) and then turn on a switch if so. And if not, check to see if the switch is on, and if it's on then you know that a battle occured and ended. So you can do all your after-battle stuff.

Um, so, maybe I'm just stupid, but I've managed to make the common event be triggered after every battle, but I still am not sure exactly how to heal specifically MP and nothing else. There's a command that completely heals the party (Recover All) but I can't seem to find something that just heals MP specifically. I feel stupid right now. So um, what do I do now? (Thanks for the help btw.)
LockeZ
Heh, there's a "Change MP" or "Change SP" command. In RM2K3 it's on the first page of the event commands, near the top of the second column. In RMXP it's on the last page of the event commands. In VX Ace it's, um, somewhere, I can't check because I need to reinstall Steam on this computer.
Um, doesn't Change MP change a character's Max MP? *goes to check*

...Oh, it doesn't change the total. Ehehe, I'm an idiot. Well, okay then, this works now! Thanks, LockeZ! :)
Peronsl
author=slashphoenix
Noooooope! In fact, before adding critical hits (or removing them) I would consider thinking about what they accomplish in terms of gameplay and player-fun.

Personally, I think crits can be a neat mechanic, but just left as-is, they're not that great.

I like to play around with them (points to his game Illusions of loyalty, where a character is BASED around buffing himself up to be able to do guaranteed crits). That makes it more fun, IMO. League of Legends does that a lot and I like that.

They're just another mechanic to exploit and enhance. If just left as is, they're not all that interesting, nor do they add much to the game.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Thinking of saying "Screw the RTP" and making my own graphics. Either that, or converting my game over to OHRRPGCE. Unfortunately, if I do the latter, it also means I'll have to ditch a lot of mechanics I could integrate using VX Ace...
Been agonizing over dealing with the games that give me inspiration and what I've actually got in front of me. Like... the closest big-name series in mood and style to my main game is the Tales series. But it started out in a totally different way than what I've got. Plus they can get away with using the SAME TITLE all the time because of the way it's formatted. Then I run into the issue of "well if I wanna downsize, I have to redo EVERYTHING" and I can't even think of where to start and even if I DO do that it's like... okay what do I call the next one?

And then I played Bravely Default. And I'm like THIS CUSTOMIZATION IS SO GOOD WHY CAN'T I THINK OF STUFF LIKE THIS and then I cry.

tl;dr downsizing woes and hating how I never can seem to get anything off the ground.