WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT? (GAME DEVELOPMENT EDITION)

I was doing some main menu stuff tonight and came to a realization that's probably long overdue. The functions I was connecting to my sub-menu elements almost always started with character select.

Open menu, choose Magic, select character.
Open menu, choose Status, select character.
Open menu, choose Equip, select character.
Etc, etc.

Why then, is the main menu not just a character select, with the sub-menus following that? So that's what I'm doing now.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The time limit on the Last King of Hyrule event is about to expire, and the game is still missing four or five of the thirtyish levels it needs and four of the seven bosses it needs. I'm so sad. If we'd gotten like three more people to participate, we could totally have finished it. Or even if each person who participated had submitted one more thing before deciding they were sick of it.

If people wanted to finish it, I'm sure we could get an extension, but they all just decided they were done.
Dead serious: for those who drink, is it just me, or is it way easier to be creative when you have some alcohol in your system? I'm sipping on some rum and I'm like, on some hardcore Voltaire shit right now, bro.

Anyway, I'm working on my design document right now, and chipping away at some of the stuff I wrote in it to implement. A design document is the way to go!
Wait, there are people who don't plan anything ahead of time? Like, people who actually finish stuff? I mean, Treasure's director has gone on record saying that "you can't make a good action game if you just follow the plans", but I'm pretty sure they still have plans of some kind!
author=turkeyDawg
Wait, there are people who don't plan anything ahead of time? Like, people who actually finish stuff? I mean, Treasure's director has gone on record saying that "you can't make a good action game if you just follow the plans", but I'm pretty sure they still have plans of some kind!

I've finished several of my (short) games with almost no plan except a general idea.
I doubt you would be able to do it with a longer game of certain genres, though.
Plans are always good.

TOO MUCH plans make things too complicated and then everything falls apart.

You need just the right amount.

Also, Alcohol CAN help, but it also hinders. You might get this random awesome idea and follow it to the end...and then have no idea how it began, or you'll lose important details, or you'll get sober and go "WTF WAS I THINKING THIS IS STUPID!".
author=SnowOwl
author=turkeyDawg
I've finished several of my (short) games with almost no plan except a general idea.
I doubt you would be able to do it with a longer game of certain genres, though.

Did you do this with Rust and Blood or Skinwalker? Not being critical; I'm just curious.
Yeah for larger games you are pretty much required to plan stuff out. Unless you want it to suck or something. Most people don't.
author=thatbennyguy
author=SnowOwl
author=turkeyDawg
Did you do this with Rust and Blood or Skinwalker? Not being critical; I'm just curious.
Skinwalker I had the story done, so I wasn't totally unprepared. It's probably the most story driven game I've made, so that probably makes sense.
Rust and Blood was very much made with no plan whatsoever, especially since it was made for a contest I was totally unprepared for. I've worked it over after the contest though, and people seem to like the story now (I got flak for the story being rushed before). The funny thing is I just moved all the story parts around: From everything being in the intro and the very end, to parts of the story being revealed at certain points in the game.
I’ll usually plan and prepare something (depending on the game’s overall length of course) for quite a long time before I even attempt to do anything in the editor. Although, yeah, you don’t wanna spend too much time overthinking and panicking about it, as often times it’s just best to dive in there and put something down and work around it enough to turn it into something worthwhile. Besides, as you get more deeply invested into the game, you’re bound to think of even more stuff to add in there later on or save it for another time.

author=Feldschlacht IV
Is it just me, or is it way easier to be creative when you have some alcohol in your system? I'm sipping on some rum and I'm like, on some hardcore Voltaire shit right now, bro.

Lol, you’d think that would be the worst thing to do when trying to make a game - but, hey, some things work for some and some things work for others. ^^

You know the problem with coming up with a great concept for a side project where part of the main hook is based on a relationship?

When your own goes to hell just as you get enough brilliant ideas that you know it'll make a fun game, and you just started working on it... -_-

Not sure what to do with this mini-RPG idea I have now...I mean, I still love the concept (4 kidnapped damsels break out of their own dark lord tower prison with occasional cutaways to a team of typical RPG heroes, including the heroine's boyfriend trying to save them and going through what looks like the most cliche RPG ever to do so, which turns out to be totally unnecessary in the end)...but now I kinda lost my motivation. -_-

I'll shelf this for now and see what I can do with it once the dust in my personal life has settled. Like this wasn't hard enough already, but the short mini-RPG I could be making can't distract me *Grumbles in a very frustrated manner*.

Guess It's back to my big project, then. At least I have a better idea how to make my capital city interesting.

Oh. And I need to change the hero's sprite to make use of this super kickass sideview script. ...Which means I'll need to do some manual sprite editing of his face graphics, since his face is supposed to change as the game goes on.

Eh, how hard can yellow/red eyes be to edit? .......I'm so going to regret that statement, aren't I? -_-
To encourage players to use appropriately leveled heroes in a given area, I think I'll create a new resource--call it "Prestige" or whatever. If heroes defeat foes of an equal or higher level, it adds to the Prestige score. Could use it as a resource to buy special goods or node structures or something neat.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Okiku's fast getting to the point where I can upload a new demo. If I don't procrastinate, I can probably get something out in a day or so.

So, in reality, a fortnight hence. If I'm lucky.
unity
You're magical to me.
Go for it! :D
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Thinking of how I should go about adding the effects of my new items in Pokemon RMN Version. They are cookies that change the Pokemon's nature once consumed. I might need to observe how the scripts are made in that regard.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
That... didn't take as long as I thought it would. Still, I should playtest this sucker before handing it out. This is when procrastination enters the battlefield TAPPED AND ATTACKING comes into play.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I wrote this last night at 3:15 AM. I don't think I'll do anything with it in the immediate future, but it's a fun idea.

DEBATE RPG

-RPG style combat, but instead of fighting with blades, fight with words
-Attempt to persuade opponents to join your cause
-Enemies and allies have belief bars instead of health bars
-Death/KO is impossible - when your belief bar is reduced to 0 you join the opposing side instead of disappearing from the debate
-Debate is won when all enemies have been converted to your side
-Instead of MP, facts are used as a resource, which are shared among the party - when you run out of facts you cannot present new arguments

CLASSES

Lawyer: Basic well-rounded class, arguments simultaneolusly lower enemy belief and raise ally belief, highly reliant on facts
Detective: Offensive support, capable of both generating facts and using them to argue, can prevent enemies from acting by taking/threatening legal action
Theologian: Tank class, extremely difficult to dissuade from viewpoint, provokes opponents, does not require facts for most of its abilities
Politician: Glass cannon, very easily changes sides, repeats arguments of allies for greater effect than the original argument, grants increased rewards for victory
Con Artist: Offensive class, very effective at persuading opponent, pierces enemy defenses, can temporarily make up its own facts which can only be used for con artist abilities
Troll: Healer and tank, taunts enemies, sabotages and reverses the effects of the enemy's arguments
Wikipedian: Support character, generates resources for the party by providing new facts, buffs allies with confidence, has poor argumentative skills but high speed
And now LockeZ has provided the makings for a brand new Ace Attorney game.
I like the idea, but not sure there'd be a necessity to convert everyone to your side - a debate isn't necessarily won by swaying everyone, just by proving a superior position to an audience. So, perhaps something like those "inertia metres" you sometimes see in games and when it hits a certain point you win; might not even be about presenting actual facts so much as presenting a more believable cases - even if that does include "creating" facts and proof. Hell, if you're matching against an audience, even something as simple as charisma becomes part of it - I've seen a number of debates lost because despite one side having better facts and arguments, their presentation of them wasn't as good as the other side who had some charismatic speakers.

Sitting down and working on figuring out the mechanics of a battle system taking bits and pieces from all the combat systems I like until I get what I'm looking for. I think when I'm willing to do this, I've found a game I actually have the intention of completing (though there'll probably be a lot of "hey, this is the game but the graphics aren't final because Ace RTP, lol" moments).